Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bellytank build - Power by the Fabulous Flathead Ford V8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by awelker, Dec 5, 2008.

1. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

2. Fun to watch... keep it up.

3. Lakester, basement, this... I'd love to see!

4. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

awesome build

5. awelker

awelker

Thanks for the comments.

Lakester in the basement, nothing wrong with that. It's just that much closer to work on.

6. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Awesome Build!!! Can't wait to hear about your trip to the salt in 2010!

7. harley man

harley man

Some of my favorite things belly tanks and flatheads.Awsome work.Type of tank?

8. 21tat

21tat

Lookin good! That's gonna be fun.

9. Rusty Springs

Rusty Springs
    from SouthTexas

Man it looks great, my biggest concern is your feet, as a mechanical designer I feel that there should be more cage if front of your feet than just the steering gear box and axel attachment points.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I also have salt fever, made the trip five times. I have seen cars endo and that part of the car will crush driving the steering box right into your petal area.<o:p></o:p>
    Just my thoughts only, just a red flag popped up when I saw the frontal area without crash protection.<o:p></o:p>
    Great rework of the cockpit, ala top fuel cage&#8230;.<o:p></o:p>
    Best of luck and God Speed&#8230;<o:p></o:p>

10. awelker

awelker

Tank is 300 gallon Navy MK-8 13'6" long & 30" dia. at the widest point. Seem to be used most on navy planes at the end of WWII and just after. Have seen pictures of the on the Grumman Tigercat & Grumman Albatross. Most likely used on late Corsairs as well, have seen some pics but hard to tell if it is the same size.

11. harley man

harley man

Thanks for the info.I what one.

12. enemy2fashion

enemy2fashion
    from USA

I really want to build a belly tank someday....

13. pants fit

pants fit

Is there actually an old crow blue print? and if so how can I get one ? I'm building a p51 mustang tank with a Lima banger thanks Jim

14. patina steve

patina steve

Your information on the type of tank is exactly correct,the same tank used on the Old Crow, I have located a extra tank if any one on the HAMB has an intrest PM me for details.

15. Any updates on this monster?

16. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

I need more UPDATES ? ? ? ? ?

17. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

What are you planning to use to keep your legs and arms contained inside the frae in case of body loss? What are the front shocks?MG?

18. awelker

awelker

Well finally I'll get around to a small update.
    <O:p
    Some of the things I've been working on shown in the pics is mounting for the hydraulic throttle cylinder and linkage. Also I have the pedal assembly pretty much finished up.
    One pic shows the flathead block I plan on using for now that I ported. It’s not finished yet but I have all the initial work done, now it’s ready for new valve seats. Then I will finish up the bowl work and my version of the relief.
    The other progress has been I got the headers together all but the 3” turnouts, which I won’t put on until I have holes cut in the top tank shell. You can’t see much of the bottom half of the headers in these pics but that’s all I have on the computer for now. The headers are split so I can remove the upper half to remove a head without removing the entire header.
    Other than that I made a small change to a tube in the roll cage to make it easier for me to get in and out.
    Next up is pretty much a complete disassembly for cage welding, gusseting, etc.
    As for keeping arms and legs inside the cage structure I am going to have bolt in panels that will attach to the cage gusset in some areas. In a few key areas the cage will have welded in plates for rigidity that will serve the same purpose.
    Front shocks are the shortest street rod shocks I could find.
    Thanks for the interest in the project, more to come…

Attached Files:

19. Thanks for the update. That header design is relly cool, nice work!

20. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

Very good thinking with the headers!!! I'd like to see the new design to the roll cage that allows you to get in and out easier. Me, being about 6' 220lbs, (this is a concern if i ever get the chance to build a tank).

The only other question i have right now is....are you going to make it to Bonneville 2010?? No pressure...just asking. Time is running out for both of us!! Thanks for the cool build.

JGRAFF

21. Awesome work - God I love belly tanks.....esp with Flatheads !!

Keep em comin' !!

Rat

22. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

BTTT Thanks for the pics, I like that porting job.

23. awelker

awelker

The only change I made to the cage was to move the top hoop above my knees front a few inches. This gave me a little more leg room when getting out. I'm 6'4" and feel like I have less room every time I get in and out.

Still working towards 2010...alot to do.

Porting the block was drawn out and a little nerve racking. The last port was the worst, kept thinking, boy I hope I don't screw this one up!

24. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Lookin good!
    Have you sorted out the fairing yet?

Zach

25. BrickTopp

BrickTopp

very cool build and craftsmanship. Always love belly tankers.
    D

26. rat seeker

rat seeker

Keep up the good work

27. RUSTIN

RUSTIN

Tank is looking awesome! Was just wondering where about you got your water pump blank off from and what type are the pumps?? also where is the inlet for the water now after it's been blocked off?
    Thanks.

28. awelker

awelker

The water pump block off plates were originally for blocking off the water pump holes if you were running '32-'36 high water pump heads on a '37 21 stud motor. The water inlet is through stock 35-36 motor mounts. Water pumps will be remote mounted electric, I don't want to rob any of that precious flathead horsepower.

Zach - I haven't sorted out the faring yet, it got pushed off when I did the cage modifications.

29. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

That's coming along super nice! The drawings are also very impressive. We work with lots of engineers, and only a few are that good.

30. RUSTIN

RUSTIN

Do you know where i could find a set of these blank off plates?