Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Belly Tank in Disneyland

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vividlyvintage, Aug 23, 2011.

1. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

I am not sure if this has been posted or talked about before but inside a retail store called "fly n buy" located inside Disney's California Adventure. It appears to be a recreation although a very detailed copy. It doesnt have an engine that I could see but it gives the facade that it does by the exhaust pipes poking out the side. Here is a photo of it. (more to come)

Thanks,
    Skrach
    www.VividlyVintage.com

Attached Files:

2. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Here are a few more of the belly tank. The building in the photo is where its located.

Thanks,
    Skrach
    www.VividlyVintage.com

Attached Files:

3. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

they are making some theme changes currently, making CA adventure into LA during the 1920's when good ol' Walt stepped off of the train to start his career. so I hope that they dont take this out.. if they do, I hope a hamber gets it.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow, have not been to Mouse Land for a long time-finally something worth looking at-hope the car nuts are keeping a close eye on the BT in case it is moved to be sold.

5. Special Ed

Special Ed

With the new "Cars" ride still under construction in California Adventure, I think they will simply move it over there once that attraction is complete....

6. The belly tank in Ca Adventure was on the floor when the attraction first opened. It's a "never was" put together by the Disney "Imagineers".

7. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

I read on here that it was in fact a real racecar at one point...someone even posted pictures of it here.

8. I first saw it when Paul Wright was building it in England in the early 90's, shipped it over here and ran it at Bonneville, in 93 I believe. I think he is in Texas now.
    HemiDeuce.

9. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Wow, so at one point this car was built for the flats? This car has history?

Thanks,
    Skrach
    www.VividlyVintage.com

10. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

The last time I was there was 10 - 01 and it was there...looked like it was never a real car.

11. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

I remember threads about the tank in the past, but I can't remember what was said exactly. BTW: it's a Belly Tank... not tanker.

HEMI32 likes this.
  12. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

13. When my son was working there,I told him to see what he could find out about it. He was told it was just a decoration and never was a racecar.

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Thank you LoudPedal. How it greats on me when somebody calle them a "Tanker"

15. 8flat

8flat

hmmmm.....only 3 pipes on the headers..... Think those guys knew enough to do that on purpose to make hotrodders think it had a flathead?

Or, the builders were thinking about the V6 in their Honda. haha

16. Flathead Jack claimed it was a replica of one of his old cars.

But who knows....right?

17. Toner283

Toner283

do you think security would eject you if you climbed up to get some shots of the engine/interior? (if there is anything to be seen)

18. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

I posted a thread on a Disneyland forum I am a member of to reach out to any cast members who may be able to ask about more info on the belly tank. I hope someone will be able to shed some light on this interesting piece of decor. If you go into that retail store check out the small details they used as well. The shop is located directly across from California Soarin for those of you who are not that familiar with the park.

I also posted a photo request on the forum for anyone who may be going to the parks soon. Not only did I ask for detailed photos of the belly tank mainly but also its surrounding decor because it is really well detailed.

Thanks,
    Skrach
    www.VividlyVintage.com

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  19. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

any hambers have photos of this belly tank?

20. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Got someone going next week. They said they will gladly take photos of it as best as they could.

Thanks,
    Skrach
    www.VividlyVintage.ciom

21. alchemy

alchemy

It's not "greats", it's "grates". How it grates on me when somebody corrects another, and makes an error in the process. ;)

22. flamed34

flamed34

I just saw a tank sitting outside for sale at an Army surplus here in NC...I was running by at 60 mph trying to out run the rain, so no idea of price. If I didn't have so many projects I can't get done already.....

23. Paul Y

Paul Y

I spent hours looking at this last year when I was in Disney.

My 2 pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And 3 of the 4....

[​IMG]

P.

24. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Anyone know how to get ahold of flat head jack?

Thanks,
    Skrach
    www.VividlyVintage.com

25. Here's some additional photos of the car as well as the other items located in the shop...

Attached Files:

26. One more...

Attached Files:

27. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Cool photos. Thanks for sharing!

28. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

In the 12th photo there are pictures of a belly tank. Also what looks like a b17. The b17 looks like the one on display near fresno area. The guys standing in front of it could be imagineers. but I am not sure.

Thanks,
    Skrach
    www.VividlyVintage.com

29. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

It looks like a grate display peace.