Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Belly Tank Build Underway, Bonneville 2011 ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Candy-Man, Feb 6, 2011.

1. druids62

druids62

Ah RATS! I was getting so excited after reading this thread I had goosebumps! Here in So Ont. you can't just walk into your local roadhouse and chat about "runnin' on the salt". Its on my bucket list and I was anxious for you! Like a good drama movie I suppose. Next year! Enjoy your trip anyways!

2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

SUCCESS!!!!
    Just got a phone call..and all I heard was a Jimmy 6 SCREAMING!!!!!!!
    No person...just a screaming Jimmy!
    Neil..... please report it......

I do believe that bad boy has been started and is going thru the break it phase....
    If I know Neil.... he will dump the fluids..re-fill and be on the road very shortly!!

My fingers are crossed.
    Mothers Worry II is ALIVE!!!!!!!

3. Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I hope he chimes in Trent, But he may just pack and hit the road tonight....
    I spoke to the Bones this morning and they are on there way...

Candy Man to the white phone....

5. Thanks Jeff, they are doing the route south of us. I am heading out on turdsday

6. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Where's Jimmy, you ask ?

The Jimmy is alive, singing very sweet !!!! However; I have a few designs issues.... I will have to add a fitting to the top of my rad to allow filling/air lock exit, as I am having difficulity with air locks in the cooling system. The rad is lower than the head and the rad cap, which is the highest point in the cooling system.

I cannot locate the parts here late on Saturday night..... Getting very short on time.... Just maybe I'll be able to find the parts tomorrow on Sunday.... Ummmmmm....

Jimmy doesn't sound like your normal six !

7. Cshabang

Cshabang

good luck out there Neil....

8. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

Awesome Neil, Drive safe and holler if you need us to pick up parts for you.

See Ya Soon!

9. Twisted6

Twisted6

GREAT Most Awsome Job :)

10. New updates? You figure out the engine issues?

11. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

I'm going to ask a tremendously ignorant question. What about the scrub line? The car looks beautiful, but will it pass the SCTA tech? I saw a guy get a flat this year and spin out.

12. There aren't many cars running at Bonneville that have a good scrubline. Bad for aerodynamics. Nothing out there to hit so no worries!

13. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

"Fire Ring" on the gasket overhanging, into the combustion chamber, becomes a glow plug... Locating a copper head gasket as we speak.

My initial plan was to run copper a head gasket, then I changed my mind, I certainly kick myself now....

14. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

I have around 1" of clearance, which is good for the salt. Many cars run with 1" or even less.....

Not an ignorant question at all. I have not posted a pic as of yet with the bottom of the tank on the car to give you a better idea. It almost looks as if the car is sitting on the ground.....

15. nexxussian

nexxussian

Does anyone make a MLS style gasket for the Jimmy?

I'm sure Cometic would, but I have no idea what a gasket that looooong would cost.

Just a thought if you were staying away from the copper gasket for a specific reason (water seepage perhaps).

As any time I've dealt with Cometic they were willing to cut the bores to whatever size I wanted, as long as they didn't overlap. ;)

16. Glow plug in diesel=good. Glow plug in gas engine=not so good!:eek:

17. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

It happens. I got pictures of guy with a flat right after he spun out, the car just came to a stop. Said he hit something on the course, which flattened his tire which threw him into a spin.

Seems weird to me to hit something on the course, but that's what he told me.

Unless he thought he hit something.

18. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Either way, this vehicle is just so cool looking, it will be even better to see and shoot some photos of you running down the salt.

19. brady1929

brady1929

Neil,
    Don't know how I missed this, but it looks great. Hope to see it in person on the salt.

20. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Neil,

Very nice work. Good to see you are getting it sorted out. Keep us posted on the progress.

21. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

I have never heard of a gas motor dieseling, until I started the 302..... I'll never forget 'that' sound, hated it. Had to choked the motor out by shuving rags into the three carbs....

22. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

So I guess you didn't run at SpeedWeek. Will you run this year? Was that a 270 gasket? I ran 1/8th overbore (320 inches) without the gasket hanging in.

23. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

No holidays left for this year, I'll be there August 2012.

I was using a 302 'BEST Gasket'.... One gasket from EGGE and the other from Don Ferguson.....

24. Things do drop off of other cars, not often but it can happen.

25. I drove the course one time this year before a backup run , late in the week...we picked up a good 7 or 8 items, from dzus fasteners to bolts to misc metal...and this was after most the other guys and the safety guys drive the course....lots of stuff falls off. One morning in line for a different backup run we were rolling the car up and I noticed 3 slices in out rear tire...that was new a week earlier...bummer...luckily, we had a pair from our other car and swapped wheels as we rolled up to the starting line...I actually think it was just de-lamination in the tire, as how can you Get three separate slices in one tire that look like they came from the inside out...of course *oodyear disagrees...;)

26. How did you connect the trans to rear end? Single U-joint or mini driveshaft?

27. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Single U-Joint, changed the cups to mate up to the Chev rear end....

28. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

I have the new head gasket, I have to anneal the gasket now and fire the motor up !

29. Grunthaner

Grunthaner
    from New Jersey

Any more updates on this?