Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Belly Tank Build UK

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by JamieUC, Jan 3, 2021.

1. JamieUC

JamieUC
    from Swansea UK

Cockpit hole is not full size yet, just cut out to clear roll cage, I'm planing a larger opening with hinged canopy, canopy and hinge will have quick release catches operational from inside and outside the vehicle, basicaly building to SCTA saftey regulations and also MSA and FIA regulations that apply to the vehicle for amateur racing in the UK.
    Bailout as posted by JW above is fun at the moment it involves a sidways shimy and a headfirst dive, but that will all be sorted as the build goes on.

AndersF, loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  2. JamieUC

JamieUC
    from Swansea UK

Did losts of welding today roll cage is almost done
    Tank70.jpg

brianf31, neilswheels, brEad and 12 others like this.
  3. With Amateur racing, do you have speed limits you can't exceed or other restrictions? JW

loudbang likes this.
  4. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

5. JamieUC

JamieUC
    from Swansea UK

Depends on the event but at Pendine vehicles capable of over 100mph must have a roll bar/cage. There are exemptions for historic cars. Otherwise no speed restriction , but its a short course on a beach so not gonna see Bonniville speeds.

6. The Pendine event sounds similar to our one at Oreti Beach where Burt Munroe raced his Indian from the 50's to the 70's. Looking forward to seeing how we both do and experience the Fun Factor.
    JW

AndersF, JamieUC and loudbang like this.
  7. JamieUC

JamieUC
    from Swansea UK

Havent done an update for a bit because I havent done a great deal, been making the most of the relaxing of Covid rules here in Wales, finally seen family and friends that we havent seen for a long time even got out to an Americam car meet this morning.
    Hamb1.jpg
    These couple of young ladies seemed to like my coupe.
    Hamb2.jpg
    Anyway back to the tank, I did get a bit done this week made a brake leaver out of what I think is a Merc truck hand brake looks very much like a model A one and made a bracket to mount the master cylinder.
    At the moment I'm planing just a hand operated brake, anyone got any experience with this set up? I may go with a foot brake aswell but see how it works out as is first.
    Tank72.jpg Gotta get a metal lid for the master cylinder the plastic one looks pants.
    Tank71.jpg

brEad, AndersF, Lepus and 5 others like this.
  8. Nice eye candy with your A. The brake set up is the same as i plan to do on mine except a 39-48 Ford M/Cyl . Is that a trailer brake M/Cyl? It looks the same s i will be using for clutch and gas.
    I haven't seen any with a foot brake as room is usually an issue. Looking good !!:cool::cool: JW

loudbang and JamieUC like this.
  9. JamieUC

JamieUC
    from Swansea UK

Its a Girling type 3/4" master cylinder, I'm planing on just rear drum brakes so a 3/4 master should be good.
    Your right not realy enough room for three foot pedals.

loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  10. Are you going to have a push bar? Mine now has one as i intend to be pushed on the start line with my RPU. JW

JamieUC and loudbang like this.
  11. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I love the hand brake on my drag cars. It makes for precise staging, though that's not important on LSR events.
    My champ car will get a outside hand brake lever as well as a foot pedal.

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Wow, just found this thread. Looks outstanding. I’ve got some reading to catch up on looks like!

JamieUC likes this.
  13. JamieUC

JamieUC
    from Swansea UK

Yes planning a push bar at the rear and an easy attachable A frame for the front, tanks gonna have a starter and gears so don't need a push start, but will probably do it just for the drama, as a good friend has a 47 Merc that will be a great push car.

26 T Ford RPU and loudbang like this.
  14. The Merc pushing the Tank would make a great black and white photo.:cool::cool: JW

loudbang likes this.
  15. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

"...this one looks pants." Uh, OK, not familiar with that one.
    Speaking of pants, those leather ones should be in your new avatar.
    Allow me...

Jet96, brianf31, RMR&C and 3 others like this.
  16. JamieUC

JamieUC
    from Swansea UK

Nice zoom crop. I'm in enough trouble with the missus over leather pant girl photos so might not use for my avatar.
    Look's pants is probably just an English saying, means doesn't look very good/out of place.

17. JamieUC

JamieUC
    from Swansea UK

Done the final bit of the roll cage this week, put in some side rails along the side of the engine to stenghthen the midle part of the chassis. Still got some welding to do on the tube joints but will do that when i've got the chassis striped down and I can flip it over.
    Tank73.jpg

18. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Wow. Nice.
    How fast will a car like this typically run (w/ a blown flattie)?

loudbang likes this.
  19. That looks awesome!!! JW

loudbang likes this.
  20. Time for another shot of you in it. :cool::cool::D JW

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  21. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

From www.concoursvirtual.com

1948 SO-CAL BELLY TANK
    The So-Cal Speed Shop was founded in March 1946 Alex Xydias, on the day he left the Army Air Corps, where he’d served as a B-17 engineer. Though he struggled to keep it running for the first year, his fortunes changed when he was joined by Dean Batchelor and Bill Burke.

The idea of using a belly tank – used to carry extra fuel under the wings of WW2 aircraft – to build a race car had first occurred to Bill Burke while he was serving in the United States Navy. Seeing a barge unloading 165 gallon P-51 tanks at Guadalcanal, he took a tape measure and worked out that it would be possible to fit the aerodynamic tank (usually made of steel or aluminum alloy) with a Ford Flathead V8 and a driver.

After the war tens of thousands of unused belly tanks were offered to the public as military surplus, usually selling for around $5.

Bill initially built a land speed car from a P-51 tank and managed a best speed of 131.96 mph in it, before discovering larger 315 gallon tanks from the P-38, which gave more room for the driver, engine, fuel tank, and chassis.

This car is the most famous of the P-38 belly tank lakesters, in which the So-Cal Speed Shop Special set five records at Bonneville using three different Ford Flathead V8 engines, swapping engines between runs; the best combined speed was an amazing 198.340 mph in 1952.

You’ll see that the So-Cal Speed Shop Belly Tanks has almost no roll over protection and the driver sits with his back against the fuel tank, his feet in the car’s nose, his hips between the frame rails, supported by a thinly upholstered seat just a few inches off the salt – and achieving almost 200mph like this.

Many original belly tank racers were scrapped in the 1950s and ’60s but the So-Cal Special survived, and has been preserved by LA-based enthusiast Bruce Meyer.

Photography by Ted7 courtesy of Petersen Automotive Museum

Jet96, brEad, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  22. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Good info. Thanks. I remember reading in one of Don Montgomery's books that a typical post war roadster or coupe with a built flattie had about the same power-to-weight ratio as the best '60s muscle cars putting their performance roughly equivalent to the muscle car era.

34 5W Paul and loudbang like this.
  23. spanners

spanners

The HA/GR in my avatar has only rear drums and a hand operated trailer master cylinder but changed it to 1" from 3/4". I can lock up the brakes if not careful after doing the burnout.

24. JamieUC

JamieUC
    from Swansea UK

Great info Paul, So-Cal tank has been/is a big influence on my build, Alex and the guys who drove this car back in the 50's were very brave, no roll cage, 200 mph:eek:. Definetly keen to have a few more safety features in mine.

25. JamieUC

JamieUC
    from Swansea UK

Thats good to know, will see how the 3/4" cylinder performs would be easy enough to change it to a 1".

loudbang likes this.
  26. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

This build, top notch!!

loudbang likes this.
  27. The 3/4 cyl will require less effort to apply but will have more travel. All depends on the size of the wheel cylinders. JW

loudbang likes this.
  28. Any progress on this super build? :cool::) JW

loudbang likes this.
  29. JamieUC

JamieUC
    from Swansea UK

No progress for last couple of weeks, I've been getting the coupe ready to race at Pendine beach races, just put a roll bar in and six point harness and working on a seat to fit with harness. will be back on it with the tank after Pendine.

30. That sounds cool too, we will need some coverage on this. :cool::cool: JW

loudbang likes this.