Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Belly Tank Build, NZ.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26 T Ford RPU, May 3, 2021.

1. Made four more exhausts, will weld them on at work too. These are 1 3/8'' OD and my stock 37 Willys exhaust is one pipe at 1 5/8'' OD. JW
    [​IMG]

The 39 guy, KiwiGlen, AndersF and 2 others like this.
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looking good.
    Make sure you radius all the inside corners of your plenum on the intake.

Stogy and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  3. Thanks and i did make good radii on the inside of the plenum before assembly. I wish i had made a cross hatch piece to go on the bottom to create a bit of turbulence under the throttle blades.
    Also on this weeks list is to make an adapter for the steering wheel and column mount, more on this when i have something to show. It has taken me a bit to work out but ended up being very simple. This is the mount bearing, it had to be fairly big to fit over the quick release center. JW
    [​IMG]

kadillackid, brEad, KiwiGlen and 5 others like this.
  4. The exhaust take two. Will mark out the position on the top body section and cut clearance holes. The pipes will be trimmed to protrude about 1 1/2''. I have also started the steering column/ wheel mount and having the other stuff TIG'd. The fire wall still needs to be started but may wait till i pull it all apart for final chassis welding soon, that way i can get inside and mark the template. JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
  5. Small update on the exhaust and the intake together. The water outlet is all finished and the steering wheel/column mount is not but hopefully soon. I hope to cut the exhaust holes in the top body section tomorrow if i don't go to a Show with the RPU due to weather. JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
    bathcollector, Jet96, JamieUC and 8 others like this.
  6. AmishMike

AmishMike

That intake sure looks high. Can you still pull sparkplugs? Why not to the side over exhaust

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  7. The carb is not that high really and it fits best there as it's near center and in its design i made sure i can still get good access to the plugs, that's why it's ''near'' the center. I don't need quick throttle response in this so long runners are good, Also in the design it is made to come off easy for head work. JW

Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
    Stogy, kadillackid, brEad and 4 others like this.
  8. I went to the car show on Sunday so i didn't get this done until today. was a bit scary to do but worked out rather well with just a small amount of trimming needed. JW
    [​IMG]

9. Put the exhaust back on and wriggled the body over the pipes and roll cage, so far so good, marked the desired length and gave them a trim. I will make a polished ally trim with smaller holes to tidy it up. JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
  10. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Damn that looks good. I get a mental picture of aircraft exhaust coming out a fuselage, with lazy yellow flame at idle :cool:

Cheers,
    Harv

11. Thanks, and just for a moment on the one side it may be hiding one of my Chevy small blocks! Maybe one day.:cool::cool::D JW

Stogy and brEad like this.
  12. Another small piece of the puzzle, the steering column bits. These three parts will be TIG'd together and pinned. JW
    [​IMG]

bathcollector, brEad, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  13. All in place for a trial fit. I have a mount to weld on above the bearing. This has pushed the steering wheel about 2'' toward me from where i had it sitting before but i can shorten the wheel down if i find it not to my liking when finished. JW
    [​IMG]

14. Not a lot to report but i did have the shaft welded up and also drilled and fitted roll pins. Before welding i shortened the shaft 3/4''. Tacked the top mount the the chassis and made a trial ally joiner mount thingie that will have some shims at the bottom to be able to adjust out any bind. May start a dash panel as well now i know where the steering fits. JW
    [​IMG]

15. Now i have the steering box, shaft and wheel mounted where i want it, it was time to make a dash panel.
    made from 3mm ally it will have enough room for oil and temp gauges as well as a tach with all necessary (minimal) switches. The curved bit at lower left is to give good clearance for my knuckles when selecting reverse or second and that all important shift into top.:cool::) JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
  16. A bit of an over view of the drivers area so far. JW
    [​IMG]

Stogy, das858, bathcollector and 6 others like this.
  17. You really do some nice work! I'm enjoying the ride here watching your build.

18. Thanks and its nice to have comments and inquiries on the build, they are few and far between these days. JW

Stogy, brEad and Dean Lowe like this.
  19. spanners

spanners

Nice work you're doing. What no speedo? Just kidding.

20. Gauges will consist of 2'' temp, oil and water and oil pressure along with a 2'' tach. I will have speedo in the form of a GPS i sometimes use in my T RPU that records fastest time, that will be handy along with not getting lost.:rolleyes: Hope to get the gauges this coming week then i can start the dash layout. JW

Stogy, Jet96 and brEad like this.
  21. Did the fixings for the dash panel and made some 2'' discs and started to plan the layout. This is my view (eye level) and from L-R will be water temp, tach, oil pressure then oil temp. On the R/H side below the gauges will be on/off switch and start button and in middle at top will be a master toggle switch. Still to work out will be the fire extinguisher controls. JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  22. Cut the holes for the gauges and also mounted the ignition/fuel pump switch and starter button, the cross is where the emergency shut off plunger switch will be. I folded the lower edge down to give more room for entry/ exit. JW
    [​IMG]

Stogy, JamieUC, kadillackid and 9 others like this.
  23. AndersF

AndersF

Looks great.
    I really enjoy to follow this build.

24. Thanks Man it means a lot, just wish it was moving faster....it will very soon!:cool::) JW

Stogy, chopnchaneled and AndersF like this.
  25. Got busy and pulled it apart to do all the finish welding on the frame. Will take it to work and use the welders there. The seat is still in as i need to double check the top harness point. The bracket sticking out the front is hopefully going to work as a rotisserie and use the push bar at the back. JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
  26. Looking forward to putting this stuff back on as well as the pile of bigger bits. JW
    [​IMG]

27. spanners

spanners

Is it like an Ikea table that comes with pictures only and an Allen key for assembly? Keep up the good work.

Stogy, kadillackid and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  28. I put some of those together for family members so i hope it will be that easy..... i know it will.:rolleyes::) JW

Stogy and kadillackid like this.

29. Just remember, you won't actually have time to READ the gauges while on a run, but you can glance at the needles. If you mount them with the needles ALL pointing up when they are in the proper operating range you will know at a glance if something is wrong.

30. I did think of that briefly, it makes good sense...end of the day i most likely won't be going that fast:( but i may also install a shift light...hope it doesn't come on in top gear:D. JW

Stogy, kadillackid, Tman and 4 others like this.