Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Belly Tank Build, NZ.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26 T Ford RPU, May 3, 2021.

1. AndersF

AndersF

You could redo the gussets to both strengten the frame and hold the shockabsorbers.

loudbang, Stogy and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  2. I have looked at that too, but i have a plan.:rolleyes::D JW

3. I would check with Tech, those may not fly under the shock rule.

loudbang, Stogy and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  4. Also, as per tech the back end of those wishbones needs to be retained. Most make a metal loop. It is in case they come loose.

5. Nothing on this is finished yet and a lot of little things are to be fitted for safety. Thanks for keeping an eye out, i really appreciate it:D. The rod ends will have retention washers and the 1/2'' bolt goes all the way through and have locking nuts and a pin. The helmet has an SA 2020 rating and all all my suit meets the rule book requirements. JW

loudbang, Tman and Stogy like this.
  6. It helps to have more eyes watching. So many little details in the rules. Remember an Inertia switch also!

Stogy, loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  7. Thanks for the extra eyes and i will have one, i have also designed a remote fuel shutoff for the fuel tap. The tap is about NZ $160. JW

Okie Pete, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  8. This is the position i will mount the shocks and if i can't use the friction shocks i can still use the same mount holes that will be just outside the gusset for some short tube shocks. JW
    [​IMG]

9. Made some brackets to mount the friction shocks to the bulkhead. I will have them aiming down so they are 90* to the connecting rods that will be mounted to the forged end of the radius rods. IF i can't use these it will just mean some new brackets ( one hours work) that will bolt on to the same holes. JW
    [​IMG]

10. A closer look. It will have three 5/16'' bolt holding it to the bulk head. JW
    [​IMG]

11. JamieUC

JamieUC
    from Swansea UK

Awesome, can almost hear it roaring down the salt, looks good and roomy. All ready to start on your roll cage.

12. AmishMike

AmishMike

Streamlining & looks would be better if mounted low behind axle with short link up. Just a wild thought

loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  13. Nothing final yet, will mount there for now and most likely go with tube shocks for real. This one will be no record car and is just something i have to do, it just needs to be the fastest i have driven at the time....150 plus.:) JW

Okie Pete, RICH B, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  14. I had a good look at this suggestion and it would work really well, BUT due to most likely needing to run better shocks than these i would need to make a whole new set of mounts. I will look at it more as they would fit in the axle relief that's already there now and would need a small amount of trimming to the openings. Pics soon. Thanks to others with similar thoughts.:) JW

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  15. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Great watching this come together, and I for one live the concurrent discussion on rules. I’m still building my own in the clouds and so was looking back over your thread so far, any thoughts on the appropriate wall thickness for you tube frame, or on weight vs material e.g. mild steel or maybe Chromoly?
    Great job so far, and thanks for posting your progress!
    -Chris

16. Chris, thanks heaps and thanks also for you thread ''Belly Tanks". Dreams can only come true if you dream them first. Its been fun so far and is cool being able to start fitting some of it's systems. No Blue Prints or Plans for this build only axles, motor, g-box and wheels were planned but that was years ago. Hope you can make a start on yours no matter how small it is.:cool::) JW

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  17. This is where the friction shocks will now go, behind the axle and flat mounted on the bulkhead. Sorry for the bad pics, my assistant aka Mrs W was absent at the time. JW
    [​IMG]

Stogy, Okie Pete and loudbang like this.
  18. As seen from the out side:cool:. This will also allow me to not have to cut reliefs in the hinged body over the drivers compartment. If i need to go to with tube shocks i can make some brackets that come up around the body and have them mount to the same holes in the bulkhead. JW
    [​IMG]

dave plmley, Stogy, Okie Pete and 5 others like this.
  19. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

That would make a really cool chopper tank! Beautiful piece, excellent build. Subscribed

20. Welcome and thanks.:cool::) JW

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  21. Mild steel is preferred by tech. More forgiving. Weight is your friend. No reason to use lighter chromo

Stogy, JamieUC, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  22. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

That’s great to know Tman, thank you. Lots to learn with respect to dynamics.

23. Been awhile since the last update but i have sorted the shock mounting issue. I hade to make a adaptor/mount plate due to the chassis tube in the way on the other side. When i drop the lower part of the body next i can lower the axle out of the way and drill the hole through the front plate. If i go the tube shock way later i will use the same holes for their mounts. JW
    [​IMG]

24. I made some g-box mount gussets and tacked them in. JW
    [​IMG]

25. Made some new longer arms for the shocks out of some 1/4'' aluminum and have ordered some 3/8'' rod ends. JW
    [​IMG]

The 39 guy, Stogy, AndersF and 2 others like this.
  26. Modified the top steering arm. If this one works like i want it to i will get another made from one piece. JW
    [​IMG]

bathcollector, brEad, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  27. Rear of car jacking point. I had this idea for jacking point a while back and consists of a 1'' UNC nut welded to a square of 1/8 plate and welded to the bottom of the rear axle housing and a bolt that can be screwed in to give a central jack point. Need one up front too. JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
    saltflats and Stogy like this.

29. Trent what was your quote?

Stogy likes this.