Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Belly Tank Build, NZ.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26 T Ford RPU, May 3, 2021.

1. P-38 (F-Glass) build that i started in May 2020. I have wanted to build a Willys 4 powered Tank for over 30 years after seeing photos of the So-Cal Tank along with others.
    After my 1st trip to Bonneville i knew now is the time and after going again in 2019 i changed direction, got a rule book and my plan is to run it on the Salt.
    The parts; Glass body is molded off a classglass repro item with an extra 20 inches added from the original P-38, motor is a 46 Willys Jeep 4cyl, 37 Willys G-box, i am a Willys guy so that explains the Willys stuff. Rear axle is from a MK3 Zephyr (English) with 3.55:1 ratio. The rest i will mention in the build thread.
    I waited a while to start this thread as things were moving rather slow and will not be a rapid build for now. On with the build. JW

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    woodbox, VANDENPLAS, kiwijeff and 7 others like this.
  2. The body when i got it home. JW
    [​IMG]

3. I wasn't sure what to use for the chassis, Box section, reinforce channel or a Tube frame. The tube idea won in the end and the rule book said the chassis must be rigid and have no flex.
    I got some thin MDF sheet and traced the outline so i could start bending up some tube. JW
    [​IMG]

4. Bought a bender and made a start. JW
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff, ol'stinky, itsmee and 5 others like this.

5. About now i needed to work out how this puzzle was going to fit in the body. JW
    [​IMG]

6. Needed a steering wheel so i made this at work. JW
    [​IMG]

woodbox, VANDENPLAS, kiwijeff and 7 others like this.
  7. Planning/ dreaming. JW
    [​IMG]

8. j hansen

j hansen

Looks good,subscribed.

loudbang, Stogy and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  9. Made the mount plate that will mount the front axle, friction shocks, steering box, clutch a throttle master cylinders and the chassis/roll cage.
    It then sat like this for about 6 months as i got busy with other things. JW
    [​IMG]

10. twenty8

twenty8

I'm in..........

11. Cheers.:D JW

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  12. Fast forward to April 2021. I made the droppers a while back and finally tacked them on. JW
    [​IMG]

13. Some more bending. JW
    [​IMG]

14. Need to work out the rear axle position (exactly) and how i will mount it. It will be adjustable up and down for tire choice, that is why i stopped the lower rail where i did. Will start the lateral hoops soon when i have made some patterns. JW[​IMG]

15. As i mentioned before it will be powered by a Willys Jeep 134 cid 4 cyl that in stock form is rated at 63hp, not bad when compared with the Ford V-8 60.
    This will get a full recondition and balance, Holley 2bbl and all sorts of other things. I hope to go 150 mph plus as this is as fast as i have driven on the road in a Hemi powered T- Bucket back in the 80's. It will be no record setter just something i want/need to do. This motor came out of a Hobart portable welder. JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  16. Today's effort was the steering box mount. The box is VW Beetle. JW
    [​IMG]

17. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice one. Looking forward to following along on another thread.

Stogy and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  18. brady1929

brady1929

19. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

I'm in, Thanks for sharing.

20. AndersF

AndersF

First Burt, and now its you.
    Will follow this for sure.

21. Gofannon

Gofannon

22. Thanks, i would like to run on Ohakea's runway and Oreti beach where Burt Munro ran. :cool: JW

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That will be a lifetime dream for many come true for you...a pretty tight cockpit in those and 170mph that would be screamin' fast...all the best and look forward to the BellyTank Adventure JW...thanks for sharing this milestone in your Hotrod Life...;)

24. Thanks Buddy. My signature says it all, all my school reports said i was a day dreamer... A+ in my mind. I do not believe in bucket lists as if you want to do something ..DO IT, don't shelve it with a pile of other things you will never get to do when you are too old and worn out.
    On the Tank; today i reversed the main leaf in the spring as i ordered it standard and also worked out the cross steer making sure i had good room for feet and two pedals, gas and clutch, The braking will be by hand lever via a 39-48 Ford master cylinder (rear brakes only)
    This week i will finalize the seating position so i can set the position for the rear axle. Looking good from side on is also a priority as well as being right.
    More pics soon. JW

VANDENPLAS, kiwijeff, brEad and 5 others like this.
  25. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Great to see you’ve put together a build thread! Really looking forward to seeing your progress.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

26. JW is a drag chute required ?
    If so what size ??

Stogy, 26 T Ford RPU and loudbang like this.
  27. Welcome aboard, Terry. No chute required on this as it won't be fast enough, if i ever upgrade and its required i will look at it then. JW
    Edit; 175 and over for a chute.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    Stogy, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  28. Made a spring mount set at 12 Degrees. It has mounting holes that will allow for up and down adjustments in 1/2'' increments. The rear end will have the same adjustments. JW
    [​IMG]

VANDENPLAS, Stogy, itsmee and 3 others like this.
  29. Pulled the rear end in and sat it along with the 37 Willys G-box in the exact place i wanted them. The chassis is set at what i want for the finished ride height, that will give 3'' clearance at the lowest point.... there will be room for adjustments. JW
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff, brEad, 48fordnut and 7 others like this.