Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bellflower customs history?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Roothawg, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Sancho likes this.
  2. Roothawg

Roothawg

3. 'Mo

'Mo

The Bellflower "Style" certainly owes much to Bellflower, Cal's native son, Larry Watson.

Photo of Larry from Bellflower High School 1957 Yearbook (Kustomrama)...

[​IMG]

drdave, kidcampbell71 and Sancho like this.

4. Special Ed

Special Ed

Bellflower is one of the many communities located within Los Angeles in Southern California. I realize that you'll get responses from folks who have never even driven through it, but it is/was one of dozens of towns scattered across the Southland that was heavily into the car scene, particularly the years following WWII, and it still continues. As you've already figured out, lots and lots of (mostly) custom styling cues came from that general area of L.A.

drdave, jnaki and Old-Soul like this.
  5. Roothawg

Roothawg

Is there a specific date range of cars that fit into this category? I would assume it hit it's peak in the mid 60's?

6. In my mind, the Larry Watson styled cars is the Bellflower look, with the occasional bellflower exhaust pipes. I could be wrong, I was once.

drdave likes this.
  7. Roothawg

Roothawg

That's where I am at Dan. Just making sure I don't mix eras etc on the 55 build.

Dan Hay likes this.
  8. Like most discussions about specific styles and class designations, there's a lot of BS on here. Here is my memory of those days.
    I cruised Bellflower Blvd from 1965 to about 1969. There was a definite Bellflower style, back then. Not everyone had a Watson paint job, but most of us wanted one. Lots of stock paint jobs, with candy 'flake tops. Many cars sported full bucket seat interiors from mid sixties cars. Big ol' deep '60 Olds steering wheels. There was a shop on Alondra called: Collins Muffler. Old Walt made wheels from early wheel centers with late GM outers, creating a deep chrome wheel with a flat baby moon. Then came Appliance Plating's Supremes. Skylark wires were seen, too. Bellflower tips, from Gene's Muffler, in Lakewood Blvd. Bellflower was also a hot bed for drag racers. So, there was more than one client for the custom painters. IMO, that's why there were so many cars with bitchen paint jobs. There was a drive in restaurant called Harvey's Broiler, on Firestone, in Downey. Only the best customs and hot rods were allowed in the Front Row. My cruising circuit was from Oscar's, on the Traffic Circle, to Hody's on Lakewood, up Bellflower Blvd, over through Harvey's, and do it again.

It was a unique moment in history. I'm glad I was there.

9. Special Ed

Special Ed

You're (in my opinion) right there on your era. Very late fifties to very early seventies, which put's your assumption of a Bellflower mild custom "hitting it's peak in the mid 60's", pretty much spot on ...
    I built my '55 to hit that '64-'65 era (for the most part) a few years ago , so I think that I understand what it is that you're shooting for.
    Good luck with your build ;) Phil is a great source, and his memory of that time and place is gospel.

10. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Phil pretty much nailed it , but left out the a&w across from salta Pontiac , ( prior was the CLOCK) then down the street opposite side and before parks texico station , the style was there before Larry , but he to me was the king , I knew people that’s cars were painted by him, but mine were not worthy.

drdave, OG lil E, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  11. 'Mo

'Mo

Perhaps better stated...Today's popularity of the Bellflower "Style" certainly owes much to Bellflower, Cal's native son, Larry Watson.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    OG lil E likes this.
  12. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

I would it may be called bellflower style on here. But Long Beach, Compton , maybe into the south bay areas , were along the same lines. Driving any further than that back then , was a trip like going to Texas, to far to wonder

1Shot-Scot, OG lil E and Chili Phil like this.
  13. That's right, Roger. I forgot about the A&W. I had to enter from the side street because my Chevy was too low to pull in from Bellflower. Shit, I forgot the Taco Hour, too.
    I should also mention that we all paid a pretty heavy price for that time spent Bumpin' the Boulevard. The Bellflower and Downey cops hated us, for just being there. My driver's license took a heavy hit, for a few years. Too low, too loud, no front plate, rear plate too low, and once for driving unsafely for sitting low. I beat that last in Bellflower court.

14. Lotta car clubs back then, too. A club plaque, in the rear window was part of the Look.

15. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Ya left out no windshield wipers , license plate light out , and with the 59 cad tail lights in 58 impalas and others illegal tail light modification. My wife’s dad used to get pissed, he would go bowling, come out ,an the 59’s lens were gone.

flyin-t, Don's 55, 1Shot-Scot and 5 others like this.
  16. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

The circuit Phil described is right on.I graduated from Millikan High(Long Beach) in '62.My brother in law bought the A&W in '62. Henry's Machine Shop was the place to go to have bolt pattern changed so you could run Skylark spoke wheels.I worked at Pep Boys in Lakewood and at time in Bellflower when they were short handed.97 Carbs were $3.75 ex when they went on sale.

drdave, flyin-t, OG lil E and 3 others like this.
  17. Yes, Deuce Lover, Henry's was one of those places where drag racers and custom guys went.

OG lil E and jnaki like this.
  18. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks for the history lesson fellas.

OG lil E and Special Ed like this.
  19. I attended Pasadena City College in '63, '64, '65, and met a guy there from El Monte that made the Harvey's Broiler scene every weekend. I believe his buddy had a '64 Riviera with the requisite "peacock metal flake" roof and stock body color. The boys had tall pompador hair styles and "roach killer" booties; just cruisin officer. Good memories of the street when it was fun.

20. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

he anit kiddin' I scrolled thru it, and only saw about 5 pics that weren't red xs.

21. flyin-t

flyin-t

Sadly Collins is the only biz still standing from that era and I believe it's still family owned.

Even Mings Chinese restaurant, the oldest business on Bellfower, closed down this year making Chris and Pitts the oldest now. They did get popped for serving cat back in the 80's so I'm surprised they lasted this long.

Keith who own Gene's and invented the Bellflower exhaust tip, retired to Lake Havasu in the 80's. His shop, which was also the home of Watson and Howard Custom boats for a while, was leveled years ago for a tank farm. He post's on here every now and then and I spoke to him last year when I bought a few Genes T shirts.

Don't forget Lindy's muffler a little farther up the street from Genes. Lindy's was a open air pit.

My dad who was a few years older than Watson grew up in Hollydale and would cruise Bellflower blvd in '52 when he turned 16 in his '41 chevy convert. He was in the Igniters and I still have his plaque. He joined the Marines the next year so he really missed out on what might have been the best cruising.

I missed the golden age because of my age but did enjoy the revival on Bellflower after American Graffiti was released. We'd cruise there, Whittier and Van Nuys.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    drdave, OG lil E, Sancho and 3 others like this.
  22. 'Mo

'Mo

I believe this 1957 photo of Duane Steck's "Moonglow" getting the rear bumper lowered was taken above Lindy's pit,.

EDIT: Just to clarify, that "Pit" was a hole in the ground with a ladder, that you straddle parked over (careful! :eek:) to do exhaust pipe work without a hydraulic lift. Hard Core!

(CCC)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    drdave and OG lil E like this.
  23. flyin-t

flyin-t

Yep, Rod and Custom did a good article on Moonglow back in the 80s and they ran those pics if I remember right. In fact I think they had access to Stecks original photo album.

OG lil E likes this.
  24. Flyin T, do you have any recollection of a muffler shop in Bellflower owned by a guy named Chuck Balsiger? He had one of those late '40's Hudson pick ups (long and low) painted metallic or candy blue. I used to watch him race at the go kart track in Irwindale. He ran a really fast home built kart with a 250cc Yamaha with vertical exhaust next to the seat back; really fast kart.

OG lil E likes this.
  25. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Guys,

Yes, Henry's was the place. The axles and hubs on our 58 black Impala were re-drilled and replaced with the Buick bolt pattern at Henry’s . I had just purchased a set of (5) Buick Skylark Wire Wheels and this process was necessary to run those rims on our Chevy Impala. That place was where we got our Chevy axles made for our Willys 671 SBC C/GAS Coupe in mid 1960. But, there was another need for a custom application of new bolt patterns for the Impala in 1962-63 so, Henry's got the call. We were always on the back row at Grissinger's, Ken's, Oscar’s and Hody's. Those Skylark wires fit the bill. But, that was getting away from the Bellflower area.
    upload_2018-9-5_5-9-1.png
    By 1962-63, the pure Lions Dragstrip racing weekly was taking a back seat to just cruising around. So the black/silver Chevy rims were changed over so I could run the Buick Skylark Wires. The Impala was still fast, but now it had some custom touches added for a label as a fast, cruising car. The daily driver was on its way to becoming a mild custom car with some attitude and speed behind the look. The balancing of those Buick Skylark wire wheels was difficult, but eventually a shop tightened everything and balanced it for the smoothest ride in the Impala.

upload_2018-9-5_5-22-8.png Thanks, Moose...

Jnaki

For all of the time the Skylark Wires were on the Impala, it had the "look." We did go up to Bellflower for several cruises and even to Harvey’s several times, but, that was out of our normal stomping ground area. The now, semi-custom Impala was a big hit on Bellflower Blvd with the Skylark wires and the noise coming from the big 348. The Impala was not lowered via the springs, but with 4 guys inside, the car was lower than normal. It was cruising in style for sure.

Bixby Knolls and Belmont Shore/Seal Beach was the typical drive on the weekends. On special Friday or Saturday nights with more time on our hands, a longer drive down to Merle’s Drive-In was fun during our Newport Beach forays and those "northern" jaunts just North of Bixby Knolls.

Something must have attracted the keen eyes of someone who needed the Buick Wires more than I did. The wires on the Impala were seen by most of the cruising, drive-in locales. They were gone by 1964 Summer from a Belmont Shore parking spot and not by a “for sale” transaction.
    upload_2018-9-5_5-13-1.png
    The aftermath of the missing Buick Skylark wheels…15 inch, black, Buick rims, courtesy of insurance.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    drdave and OG lil E like this.
  26. cabong

cabong

I always loved the "Bellflower" look. Back in '60 I saw LeFevre's '59 El Camino and vowed that one day I would use that paint scheme and color on something. It took a while, but I did it a couple years back. I didn't quite finish the "custom", but I will. I got snagged in a drag racing club at Firebird near Boise. Next year it's time to slam, go with a smaller mill, and finish the upholstery. It's a '58 Fairlane with a '57 front end, with '58 headlights (another of those "someday I'm gonna do that"), and '59 Bonneville taillights (took 4). I also have a '59 Galaxie grille, cut and shaped to fit the '57 opening, and '57 front and rear bumpers.......In true Watson tradition, colors are pearl and candy !! Watson was the Man !!!!
    58 Ford.jpg

Attached Files:

27. Alright @cabong!

I have been waiting for an update on that car. Thanks!

OG lil E likes this.