Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Bell, 1962

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Aug 8, 2014.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Bell, 1962

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A Bell was always the one to have in my book. I have the partner to your "brain bucket" sitting in my garage. It's on a pic in my one album.

3. flamingokid

flamingokid

My first helmet was an orange metal flake Bell that matched the paint of my Honda Z50.Later,as I progressed into Motocross and BMX,everything matched,Vans shoes,JT leathers,jersey,and the paint scheme of my bike....I guess I've always been a color coordinated little bitch ;)

4. Would never wear anything but a bell helmet. Here's mine in '62 during the R&C rod test shoot.

[​IMG]

volvobrynk, spiffy1937 and bowie like this.

5. My dad lived in Flint MI in the late '50s and probably raced at some of the same tracks as Jim's dad. Wore the same helmet too.

6. HELLBILLY

HELLBILLY

"Just like every old car, every toolbox, mag wheel and yes, even helmet, has a story to tell. As hot rodders and customizers, it’s our job to make sure their voices are heard. Sometimes you just have to use your head."

Couldn't have said it any better myself.............

J.Ukrop, enloe and volvobrynk like this.
  7. seatex

seatex

I'm always grabbin old helmets at garage sales. Don't know why, most are gone............. just my appreciation for growing up on two wheels in the late 60's and 70's, I guess.

8. Bell catalog 1953.

Mick
    bellautoparts1953.jpg

9. aaggie

aaggie

I have worn many helmets over the years and always preferred Bell. As I grew older and started wearing glasses it became harder to get a helmet that would make room. I have switched to what is called Modular style that the face swings up to allow you to put your glasses on then swings back into place to work like the full face models. They also have a built in UV sunglass like a fighter pilot that you can flip up into the top when you don't need it. Best of both worlds.
    I used to love the ads that Bell ran that said "If you have a $10 head wear a $10 helmet".

10. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Nicely written Joey. Having dealt with the estates of family and friends over the last few years I have run across things that I know must have meant so much to them during their life and often wish I had seen the item before their passing so that I could have asked them the significance of the item to them. When you see the item pass on to the its new owner you hope that it will be used or treasured by them too.

That helmet reminds me of my uncle that raced outboard hydros for years He always wore a bright orange bell and had one of those bubble face shields on most of the time . I remember seeing yellow,smoke, green and clear shields. But what I remember most is that big smile on his face from the joy of racing. I hope the helmet is displayed with his hydro in the museum.

11. 296ardun

296ardun

My first helmet was a Bell, bought it used from a guy who worked in the liquor department of Market Basket in San Gabriel. It was painted pearl white with really neat striping on it and a very small sign at the bottom back that said "Roth." The guy I bought it from hung out with Roth and got him to paint and stripe it. I foolishly loaned it to a guy who wanted to go demolition derby racing and it got so banged up that I didn' wear it again...one of the many things I wish I had today!!

12. Finally, something to look for at the swap meets.:D

13. flamingokid

flamingokid

I'm sure the popularity of those face shields also had something to do with the popularity of the space program back in the day...just a thought.

14. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wait now...Where have I seen this guy b4...?
    [​IMG]

15. Muttley

Muttley

16. Muttley

Muttley

17. Muttley

Muttley

18. I was waiting for those Muttley! Cool.

19. autobilly

autobilly

20. Back in the 60's when helmets were mandatory for riding motorcycles I had a couple of white Bell helmets.

Many years ago I gave them to the kid down the street to wear when he was on his mini bike. HRP

21. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Awesome thread :)

22. Gman0046

Gman0046

My first helmet was a USAF white Bell without a face shield. As it was the only one we had, it was shared by several friends as well.