Register now to get rid of these ads!

Being automaticly logged off when reading a long thread

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by HemiDeuce, Dec 3, 2006.

1. When reading a long thread such as C9's "Frosty Shop Blues" my loggin often expires and when I re loggin, I loose the highlighted threads since my previous login.
    What causes this, and is there anything I can do to stop this from happening?
    HemiDeuce

2. Muttley

Muttley

Yeah, I hate it when that happens, then you have to go back and sift through every thread to see what you missed. :( :(

3. Yes exactly, there are so many excellent posts and I seem to have this problem almost every day.

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Automaticly logged off?? It has never happened to me. I wonder if it's some kind of setting you have on your computer???:confused:

5. MyOldBuick

MyOldBuick

Hmm -- don't know, I clear my cookies and browsing history and still managed to come in with everything right when I view things. Check your profile settings to make sure you have everything setup right -- I have it setup to log me in automatically and leave me logged in all the time.

6. pepi

pepi
    BANNED

if you are being auto logged off , it could be a setting on your computer that works like this. Some computers have a preference that tells the computer to log off after a time of inactivity, and reading not surfing is considered by the computer as an inactivity. The most likely place to find this control would be an energy saver or look at the preferences for you ISP. more then likely this control will be found in an area that controls your computer's sleep mode. If you are bored, time the auto log off and time the auto sleep, if the times are the same, start looking for the control in the energy area. A work around may be as simple as moving the mouse every now and then as you read. A mouse movement would be considered an activity by the computer, hope this helps. I have a Mac and can not get anymore specific for the windoze folks , but the idea as to what is happening to the auto log off thing applies ... got to love a computer, it dose everything you do not want it to do.

7. I have reset the settings on my computer and will see if this fixes my problem. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Hemideuce

8. bastadical

bastadical
    from Fenton, MI

I think he meant he was being logged out of the HAMB, not his entire machine. Energy saving settings are not going to make any difference. More than likely increasing the amount of space for temporary internet files and making sure that there are no applications running in the background that clear cookies and/or temp files is what will make the difference. Also, I would suggest using Firefox for your browser versus internet exploder. You will find that you have less issues in general and are more secure. As long as I do not purposefully flush my cache of temp files and cookies I will remain logged in indefinitely.

9. Hot Rodz R Us

Hot Rodz R Us
    Member Emeritus

Dial up sucks, that could be it............