Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Behind the Scenes Dreams of Detroit's Real Men

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by notebooms, Apr 18, 2009.

1. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

[​IMG]
    50's cadillac concept

As a custom car guy, it's not about making it how the factory did it. It's about making it *better* than the factory did it. But, what if guys at the factory already did make it better and you never knew about it? People usually only see the end result.

All too often factory production limitations (i.e. cost / complexity) and executive decisions make cars a lot different than what the designers behind the scenes envisioned them.

Barris. Hines. Winfield. Roth. Etc-- you know all the names. All these guys get their fair due credit for the amazing things they did putting their spin on old iron. Lucky for them, they've got no executives to tell them no.

This is a tribute to the visionaries who's dreams get adjusted by suits before they get to us. It's the cost the artist pays for getting stable benefits and paychecks (until they get laid off that is.)

Please add your own pics as well.

(NOTE: On a side topic that's relevant to this-- Pretty soon i'm going to be posting pictures / updates of the long coming Gambino Kustoms Noteboom 1960 custom Cadillac project that's starting to breath again. Whenever i've thought about how that car needs to look, i've thought alot about how the original designers would have wanted the car to look before the suits ripped the rug out from under them. That's the look we're shooting for)

-scott noteboom

[​IMG]
    1950 Buick

[​IMG]
    1955 Mercury

[​IMG]
    1963 Chevy

[​IMG]
    1956 Studebaker

[​IMG]
    1958 Pontiac Firebird

[​IMG]
    1954 Ford

[​IMG]
    1964 Cadillac

[​IMG]
    1958 Mercury

[​IMG]
    1956 Buick

[​IMG]
    1964 Ford

[​IMG]
    50's Cadillac

[​IMG]
    50's Buick

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  2. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Man, I'd like to get my hands on that Cad Cyclone. Make it look like this.

[​IMG]

3. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

this car would give new definition to the term "rear ending someone" when it happened :)

-scott noteboom

4. I think the one you have labelled as a 56 studebaker is actually the Packard Predictor.

5. The Buick roadster is the only one I like of all those. It was at the Detroit Autorama this year and is part of the Alfred Sloan Museum collection. Wild little car.

When I was a kid I thought factory showcars were so cool, but my opinion has changed with age.

6. WQ59B

WQ59B

Correct, and the '64 Cadillac & the "50s Cadillac" are the same '59 Cadillac Cyclone (updated later with the shaved fins).

1955 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham concept :

[​IMG]

This is one of my very favorite back ends ever crafted. Perfect.

7. Now that is COOL!!-MIKE:cool:

8. LabRat

LabRat

9. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Imagine no longer!

[​IMG]

10. 303racer

303racer

[​IMG]

I have always liked this 1956 oldsmobile concept

[​IMG]

1954 Oldsmobile F-88 concept

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  11. racerjohnson

racerjohnson
    from Fargo, ND

This oldsmobile concept is beautiful, does anybody know anything about it? Are there any more photos available? Please help!!

I believe the SS is at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum. Great concept.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  12. Abomination

Abomination

Wow! I can't wait to see your '60... it'll give me ideas for mine!

~Jason

13. ~~~~~~~~~~~

The 56 Buick Centurion is a really nice item. Looks as though it could have been produced.

The one at Indy - not so much - Corvette grille? If the grille opening can be likened to a mouth, the grille looks like braces. I'm seeing rounded curves in the front, slightly curved planes and creases elsewhere. Overdone and conflicting, imo. Or the whole thing looks like the critter from the movie Aliens.

Many of these space age rockets on wheels were never meant for production due to extreme length, risk of pedestrian impalement, cost of production vs market facts, etc. They did serve to provide styling themes which were sometimes picked up to carry brands forward. They're fun to look at, and to marvel at what they were dreaming about. If only...

14. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Not a good day to be a jaywalker

15. pastlane

pastlane

Many of these look like Barris built em :eek:

16. Anyone notice where the "Pure" sign is pointing on the SS picture above? :O

The F88 is such a beautiful car. To bad early Corvettes are so expensive, it'd be awesome to do a clone of it or the Pontiac Bonneville.

Cool thread, thanks for the pix.
    JK