Register now to get rid of these ads!

Before the Winged express

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NORSON, May 21, 2013.

1. NORSON

NORSON

Before the Winged express there was the '29 Ford roadster that eventually evolved into the "Red Hot Roadster". It started out with a carborated Chrysler before being blown and then fueled. Willie Borsch was the driver for at least six years. I'm trying to find out what happened to it and find out more about the construction details as well as any pictures that are available. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Norm

2. NORSON

NORSON

Thought I would bump this up and see if anyone had any info. This is the Harrell roadster that Willie Borsch drove for six years before the winged express was built. It was called the Red Hot Roadster. I have much of the easily found info and pictures, but many of the pictures are of poor quality. The car was rebuilt and updated a number of times in the six years and info on those updates would be help-full. The '29's engine was used in building the Winged Express and the Harrell book says that it's un-known what happened to the original car. Neat history connected to the '29 and largely forgotten. This is the best picture I have. Thanks for any help finding info on this car.

Attached Files:

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have a bunch of B&W photos of the Harrell & Borsch car in old mags, i will try to dig some up.

4. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

I am going to follow this with interest, I was not aware of the 29 roadster. Hopefully falcongeorge can find some additional information buried in his vast collection.

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Heres the Hot Rod article...

Attached Files:

6. One of my teenage hero's that I never met. Loved the old hot rod pictures of his wild driving skills. Hope you find some history. I'm subscibed

7. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

8. 296ardun

296ardun

This was the first car I saw go down a drag strip, Santa Ana, summer of '57, it was carburated on gas, ran 129, which was pretty quick in '57 for a gas roadster. Hope you find out what happened to it, I would love to know also

9. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I recall seeing the Harrell and Borsch roadster at Fontana many years back, in the late 64 or early 65 era.

The first run, the car didn't have the wing on it. The car just kind of did a dance, bouncing from tire to tire. They musta upped the horse power or something from their normal outings..

Then later in the day, they brought the car to the starting line with this giant wing over the roll bar.
    It went "much" straighter...and faster. Don't recall the speeds or E.T.s.

This was my first indoctrination in the the future world of Fuel Altereds (then an Altered Roadster).

Mike

10. NORSON

NORSON

Falcongeorge
    That is the magazine article that I have. I bought the Harrell book and the July 1960 Hot Rod hoping to get a better view of that transmission in the cockpit shot. My magazine was printed on news print and was yellowed and faded. I couldn't see if the side of the trans had the welded up side shift bosses and the welding that my cad trans has. I know they had transmission problems and it makes sense that they would go with the strongest trans they could get and that would be the cad. What I'm think of building is a period altered and and that car appeals to me. I think it's also neat that this car was built ten years before I built my altered. I like altereds. Norm