Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Been Given-1952 Gas Station Bakersfield CA and Need Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vonpahrkur, Oct 25, 2012.

1. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

A little background-I have been into fixing up classic cars since I was a little kid and my Grandpa and uncle were restoring a 27 model t touring car from parts they were given or got for next to nothing and watching them build dune-buggies and work on their old cars. My dad worked for gas companies and was in charge of gas stations in southern California in the sixties/seventies and sponsored gas and other stuff for Mickey Thompson and Ak Miller among other racing teams at the dry-lakes, Bonneville and Baja 1000.

I grew up riding in the 1968 Dodge charger that my parents bought slightly used (2nd owner) in 1969 or 1970 and a mid-seventies Cadillac El Dorado with twin turbos installed by Ak Miller that was my Dad's company car through the seventies. My first driving experiences were sitting on my dad's lap driving that charger down our street (steering it at least) :) and driving my Granddad’s VW-based dune buggy on the motorcycle trails of the foothills of Western Colorado and then legally with my license that I got on the day of my 16th birthday (scored a 100 on the test, must have been all the practice I had as a kid) :) I was driving around the Charger and then a barn-find one owner 1962 bug we scored on.

Ever since high-school when all my friends were coming over with their cars and working on them in my folks driveway I have dreamed of having my own place to do it, you know a shop. -Every car-guy’s dream. I’m also into antiques and vintage buildings, I have re-vamped a mid century modern home to be used as a rental for my folks to have income now that they are retired and just finished the second house which is a 1915 Craftsman that will be used for the same purpose. Just like with these cars, the feeling of preserving a piece of history carries over into other areas.

I know that recently folks have argued that the Hamb should be divided up between styles of cars or separate cars and personal stuff but I feel that one of the most important parts of our wonderful hobby here is the personal stories and experiences that are intertwined with these vehicles we love so much. I am blessed to be a contributor/associate editor for Traditional Rod and Kulture Illustrated and I feel it is a privilege and an honor to tell people’s stories about their cars and motorcycles and on that note I’ll get back to this story.

For many years I have been praying that God would bless me with a shop and a few days ago I heard about a piece of property with three buildings on it that was going to be leveled. When I went over to have a look I realized one of the buildings is a gas station from 1952. I spoke to the owner and he said I could have it if I move it before November 1st when they are going to bulldoze the place. I spoke to a contractor friend of mine and we went to have a look the next morning. We got there and explained to a lady who has something to do with the real-estate agent what we are doing there and she says we can’t and then asked us to leave. I returned to buy some shelving and cabinets they had there for sale (some that were obviously original to the station) and that night I prayed they will change their mind. The next morning I got a call and they said that I can have it but it has to be gone by November 1st. Obstacle one removed, thanks God! I contacted everyone I can think of to help and a friend from high school called me and said he can move it with a crane if it’s broken down into smaller pieces.

So far God’s delivered a building, use of a crane and flatbed, now I need a contractor/crew to break down the building into smaller pieces so It can be moved-I tried to go start cleaning it out and doing what I can myself and the owner said there has to be a contractor for liability reasons…that’s where I’m at on this thing… I’m in Bakersfield CA and so is the gas station and I have a place to put it-ten miles away. I thought I’d throw this out, maybe someone will feel led to donate help with this last piece of the puzzle-a contractor and crew to unbolt the building for transport… needs to happen in the next day or two. Here’s a pic of the building-

<a href="http://s1241.beta.photobucket.com/user/pahrkur57/library/" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

The roll-up doors are done &#8211;I will replace them with new ones so they just need to be removed and set aside. There&#8217;s no insulation so no need to worry about that.

here's the basic design and what I would hope to restore it to:
    <a href="http://s1241.beta.photobucket.com/user/pahrkur57/library/" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. scrubba

scrubba

Wow, I'm here in Virginia , yeah lotta help that is . First, determine what kind of construction you're dealing with . Looks like a Cinder Brick Teauge Model B . If this is the case , yer at the point of tearing it apart Block by block taking care to mark the blocks . There were metal buildings made similar to this too. In this case , you have to cut the sections apart . Sorry I'm no further help.............. scrubba

3. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I am glad you are saving this one..........keep praying, God will find a way.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

2 seconds on google typing in "house movers bakersfield ca" got a few results.

5. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

it's all metal construction-it bolts together-it's a kit the gas companies shipped via truck and they'd show up and assemble it. the only permanent construction is the pink and white tile in the bathrooms.

6. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

already contacted a few of those-it's way too expensive and too much red-tape to go that route.

7. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

thanks, He's opened two doors so far-the contractor and crew to carefully dismantle it so i can put it back together is the last one... to get it out of there anyway.

8. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Awesome. Prayer does work. That is an awesome building

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. That's kind of what I was thinking as well. ^^^

10. Gotta find a house mover, they can move anything. We have a local company out east of me that grabs up houses that are bought to be moved for mainly right-of-way reasons.

They have a yard of cribbed up houses, regular garages and some office buildings, which they sell and people get nice houses on the cheap.

Bob

11. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

Hire a local contractor and crew to have it dissasembled and loaded, probably cost about $500/day for the contractor and $300/day for laborers. Time is crucial, so cash talks.

12. At first reading I was thinking we were now required to do a second intro LOL .... great history!

... but I regress!. Like was said earlier. Moving that building is not really that big of a challenge ... the actual moving part ... but yes, the red tape is gonna be a bear, always is.

But you can do anything if you throw enough money at it!

The timeline is tight but you could probably get some metal scrapers to do the dismatling and moving part and store the pieces somewhere cheap ..... THEN start working on the "Save Our Stations" aspect at a more slower and organized pace .... seems like a good cause and do-able.

13. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

just found out it was a Richfield station, at least in 1965. Crazy thing, is that's the same company my dad worked for back then.

14. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

^cool story and opportunity hope it all works out!

15. Fenders

Fenders

Sounds like he has no money.
    Keep praying, brother.

16. I think he has found someone to dismantle it, someone to load it and someone to move it. At least that is what I gather from reading his posts. Now he is looking for someone to put it together for him, uh I think.

he is actually pretty lucky that he is in Bako,if he was back here he would be required by the EPA to do soil samples before and after the dismantling of the building. if lead or any other contaminants were found in the soil he would be required to remove the soil until no contaminants were found pay for the contaminated soil to be cleansed and replace the soil that was removed. But it isn't likely that there would be any contaminants in the soil around an old gas station. :rolleyes:

17. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

actually i need someone to dismantle it still

18. outlaw256

outlaw256

and this all has to be done by nov 1. buddy i hope it works out for you but that is alot and i mean alot of work to be done before then.

19. Sorry I misunderstood one post you made.

OK fella back to head bonking.

I am sure that it will work out for you, that would be a pretty ugly diety that would dangle a carrot like that in front of you nose.

20. Fenders

Fenders

He got lucky so far. Don't blame God if it don't work out....

21. Note I never mentioned God and am not the one saying that God gave it to me. On a site where religion is totally against the rules.

I made a statement about a deity that would dangle a carrot in front of your nose as being pretty ugly and that I was sure that it would work out. You may also note that I used all lower case even when I wrote the word deity, you obviously are a Bible scholar and understand the difference in using upper case and lower case when discussing a god or deity correct?

I personally am one who believes that we are responsible for what happens to us and not some malevolent or benevolent being. If I didn't I would have a lot to be angry about and I choose not to be angry. I also believe that we are responsible for our own actions, I did it I own it. Part of that comes from being a dirty no good I suppose.

22. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

thanks guys, let's keep this positive-I posted this to share what was happening and to get support, ideas or best case scenario-someone that could step up and help me make this happen... :) These buildings are being removed to make way for a "dollar general" store and I am trying to save this piece of American and have a place to work on my stuff. :) thanks for all the input so far.

23. Von
    I truley believ that it will work out for ya. If I were in your neck of the woods I would volunteer to lend a hand myself. I'm only good for a couple of hours a day but you may as well have them as someone else. Doesn't matter to me who gets them.

Anyone can be a contractor by the way and they are not required to be present at all times as long as they are willing to be responsable. maybe there is someone in your church that is willing to lend a hand in that aspect.

I doubt that it is likely that you are going to get it done without getting your hands dirty, if I were in your position I would be prepared for that.

24. sololobo

sololobo

Congrats, this is probably about every car guys dream. I grew up in a gas station/garage, and still long for occupying one. And as I roam the midwest on the more charming backroads I see so many great empty buildings of this nature. My brother Poverty Flats in Kansas generously posts these structures he photos on his business journeys, and some are for sale so reasonable. So I wish you the best o luck on this venture, the model for your reconstruction is awesome. ~sololobo~

25. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

thanks, :)
    I'm all for getting my hands dirty-if it were up to me I'd be over there cleaning it out removing doors, windows and fixtures in preparation and start on removing the skin of the building, but like I said, the owner won't let me touch it until I have a contractor there etc. I have two going to have a look so we'll see what happens, trusting it's going to work out. :) the deadline is the problem here.

26. RodStRace

RodStRace

It sounds like you have a couple contractors.
    So what you actually need from them is
    1. A legit business to sign up (take responsibility)
    2. a crew or to oversee your crew (volunteers?)

Best of luck in this, but it better happen today or tomorrow! You're gonna need the weekend to make it happen!

27. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I agree..........all you need is a buddy that is a General Contractor with a license to satisfy the property owner, then hire some laborers.

I just built my new garage with two excellent hard working laborers for $250 a day for the pair. They could dismantle the building in a few days.

Stay postive it will work out !!

28. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

You should join Ryans Garage Journal Forum as you will find much information and ideas to help you with your Gas Station on that forum.

29. Bill in Al

Bill in Al

Are there any car clubs that would take it down with the understanding that it could be a meeting place when restored.Maybe a member is a contractor. Good luck with it!

30. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

As above, you are going to need to hire some laborers. How you handle that is up to you. I can only say, take LOTS of pictures and mark the parts even if you only paint stripes down the walls. Save EVERYTHING, every nut bolt and part. You can throw away the extras after you finish putting it together lol.

OK don't save the wiring or plumbing they will all have to be replaced. Other than that be careful not to lose any parts, it's not like you can get spares from Home Depot.

PS don't forget to measure and photograph the foundation or slab you will have to duplicate it .