Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects been a while..63 409 impala progress

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tony, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Tony

Tony

What’s up folks. been quite a while since i’ve posted anything on here, i think my 32 was the last project i had on here. so i thought i’d drop in with what i’ve been up to.
    Jan 2011 i purchased this 63 409 impala off @hillbilly4008
    it was identicle looking to one my dad ordered new except my dads was a 327 4 speed. this one is a numbers match 409 glide....now 4 speed.

Anyway, it sat for years in my own garage until about 5 years ago when i finally got around to messing with it.

i picked up a 64 parts car the day after i brought this home. i used the floors and frame from that car for this because although this looked good it was a huge mess underneath.
    i did a full detailed rotisserie restoration on it and was able to save 99% of the outside sheet metal which i was happy about.

it’s back on the chassis which now has air ride. i did the body over last winter and painted it this past april.
    i’m in the process now of getting the interior back in, then i’ll drop the 409 and 4 speed in.
    i picked up a 63 counter transmission (purchased new in 63 at a dealer) and rebuilt that for this car.
    basically every nut, bolt, screw etc etc has been restored to original.
    normally i hot rod or modify everything, this car being it is the same color and interior my pops cars was, and a numbers 409 i wanted to keep it stock aside from the 4 speed swap, air ride and wheels. although i have a full set of 14x6 wheels and dog dish caps.
    in a nut shell, it’ll be a brand new car this spring.

anyway, here are some photos from when Joe @hillbilly4008 has it, and few in the process of metal work etc and a few from within the past couple months
    Joe, thanks again for selling me the 63. i know it had some sentimental value to you so hopefully you’ll get a good feeling knowing it was saved.
    Tony

Attached Files:

2. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Nice work, I hope you continue with the updates...

3. 2 guys in our car club had brand new ones in '63. Neat cars. A little story... the local sheriff's dept bought 2 or 3 409 cop cars, single 4 barrel, powerglide. Drove them hard and after a few years put them up for public auction. A local high school kid bid $35 on one and was the only bidder. They whined a lot but in the end had to sell it to the kid. Probably a 3 year old car. They changed the bidding policy shortly thereafter.

4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know....maybe if you lowered it or something...

Just kidding, that little car sits perfect.

Nice work, -Abone.

chryslerfan55 and Tony like this.

5. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Had a 64 SS in 69 and like the 62-64 Impalas, looks great, nice work!

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Tony like this.
  6. Tony

Tony

haha thanks man, much appreciated.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. Tony

Tony

thanks!

chryslerfan55 and oldiron 440 like this.
  8. Tony

Tony

thank you! i’ll try for sure.
    i used to post all my builds on here but as life of more complicated i can’t seem to find enough time but i’ll try.
    there is a thread on this car when i bought it on here from 2011. man that seems like a lifetime ago already lol

9. AHotRod

AHotRod

Sure looks like one sweet ride Tony!
    Is this gonna be a daily driver ?
    Glenn

loudbang and Tony like this.
  10. Tony

Tony

yeah that’s nuts!
    my dad is a retired county sheriff and in 68 they ordered 3 or 4 427 2 door biscayne “pursuit cars”. he was one of the guys to use them. he told be the beat the hell out of those poor cars and after a couple years got rid of them and they never ordered the big block cars again.
    guess most of the guys on the job back then were gear heads haha i have a photo of him in one of them from back then.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Now me I've been a Ford guy since I was three, no kidding I could spell ford before I could spell Tom my own name. Any how the 63 Impala was the first car I noticed. The guy that lived down the alley had one and pounded on it when he came past the yard. He lived there six of the eight years we did and for the first half it must have been the original light blue metallic but then it was painted a medium blue metallic.
    It doesn't matter much but I have a fondness for the 63 and 64 Impala the 409 also.
    I swear I'm a Ford guy! Lol
    Post away it looks like a beautiful car.....
    Tom

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Tony like this.
  12. Tony

Tony

thanks Tom, i appreciate that.
    i’m a GM/Chevy guy through and through but like you i have a fondness for the early full size Fords myself.
    nice 427 Galaxie with a 4 speed??yeah i’m down with that! haha

13. Tony

Tony

thanks Glenn, much appreciated man!
    honestly i don’t know. when i did my blue 62 a few years back that was my daily during nice weather so maybe.
    once this is finished and i drive it for a month or 2 to make sure it’s a solid driver i’ll be giving it to my dad to enjoy and just taking it every once in a while.
    but he’s getting older so i really don’t know how his knees are going to do with the clutch. time will tell.

14. This picture right here is the cats ass! I think 63's are my favorite year. I like the way you're doing this one.
    0757B51C-99A6-4D9A-8B3A-A7A9A23DC2BC.jpeg

flyin-t, Tony, Cosmo50 and 5 others like this.
  15. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Well I will go just so far the 64 Fairlane with the 427 was the up yours to everyone else even the 426 hemi in 64. Oh my I said it!

16. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

So im almost never on here anymore, it's just a fluke i came in tonight. What are the odds.

I often think about this car. Now i can set my mind at ease.

I knew from the get go it was going to the right person. Car looks great. Keep up the good work.

17. BSL409

BSL409

Long time no here. Looking Good!!!

loudbang likes this.
  18. Tony

Tony

thanks man, glad you dig it! and yeah that’s quite a coincidence. haha

19. Tony

Tony

yeah man, it’s been a long time. i check weekly just haven’t posted aside from the classifieds every now and then.
    and thanks! i appreciate that!
    Tony

20. belair

belair

Great color for that car.

loudbang and Cosmo50 like this.
  21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Nice!!!
    I'm officially jealous, sure wish mine was that far along.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Looks great Tony! The stance is PERFECT!

Tony likes this.
  23. The low-rider guys are gonna be so jealous! I love the color.

loudbang likes this.
  24. 4tford

4tford

That is one nice car. I had a 63 impala burgundy back in high school 283 3spd on the column. Always thought it was the best looking of the 60's era chevys and with a original 409 nothing like it.

25. Tony

Tony

thanks guys!
    the biggest reason i bought the car was the color with black bench seat interior, the 409 was an added bonus. in the beginning i didn’t know it was an numbers matching car so i asked about buying without the motor until Joe told me it was original then it was all over haha
    being my pops ordered one with this color and interior combo i wanted the same one and it took me 15 plus years to find one.

thanks again!
    Tony

belair likes this.
  26. Wow.....I was gonna say....409 / 4 speed needs pie crusts out back on steel wheels and some sort of vintage 5 spoke up front...ya proved me wrong...a mild Kustom that will get with the program..just get ready for the 409 crowd to scratch their heads...beautiful paint work..

27. Tony

Tony

nice! yeah i love the pie crust super stock look and i’ve had em like that but this one i wanted a bit different.
    i dig lowriders and like the stock restored look with thin whites so that’s the route i took.
    i did have this cars motor in a 62 i built and i will say for a 340hp motor it pulled really hard so it’ll be a real fun car when it’s done.
    thanks guys!
    Tony

28. Tony

Tony

oh yeah, a couple die hard restorers i know already winced in pain when they heard i put air ride in a numbers match 409 lol
    that’s cool, i’m a hot rodder so i have a hard time leaving anything stock and i could care less anyway haha

guthriesmith and Cosmo50 like this.
  29. Tony, has it been that long? i remember looking at that car for you when I was at Joe's one day. That car has come a long way. Looks like a few patch panels in the normal locations. That frame looks great, did you have to do much to it?

Joe, I don't even remember what I was doing at your house when I looked at this car. I think I had bought a 32 frame from Mike Well (may he rest in peace) and Andy and I went to your place for the 50's F1 truck ? maybe??

Either way, glad to see this car is coming along.