Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Beebe Bros, Vinson, & Sixt "Cackle Car"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE-SYNDICATE, Dec 10, 2010.

1. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Its better than the old SEARS catolog at Xmas

2. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

I have seen the light. Can't wait to see more of this build.

3. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Nice! Yeah it's going to be fun watching things unfold over the next few months. There's been a ton of research and hunting for parts which takes a bunch of time. The chassis fab to date has been long and grueling as it's really the first Dragster I have built and I need it to be pretty much exactly like the original car. Not so easy.... I'm happy that it's in Bruce's hands now and he can really put the right touch on the car that it needs with the body and making sure the lines are just right. After that it's pretty much into final prep, paint, chrome and assembly. There's really no more hunting for shit as it's all sitting on the shelf and ready to go together!

Thanks for following along!

~RM

4. Killer project! It was great to meet you too. :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Just ordered the Aircraft Spruce catalog - very cool stuff!

6. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

I'd give a quarter to know what these guys thought when they saw this.
    You are blessed to have the historical reference at this point in time, and who knows what parts could be lost in even a year later from now.
    I can see and hear it now! Simply unreal..... Tom S. in Tn.

[​IMG]

7. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Tom,

It was a real special moment for sure... I wish I had a voice recorder to capture the various chitchat between Chops and Lee. It was just awesome listening to them recalling details of what they did and how much ass they kicked with this car. These guys were the Baddest of Bad back in the day and not many could catch them. I'm just proud to be able to bring the memories back to life for them and their families. I can't wait to flip the MAG switch on for the first time!

~RM

8. Nocero

Nocero

I don't know how I have missed this! Best build on the hamb!!! Subscribed

9. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Nice!!! Thanks much for the good words. It's always fun sharing the data and discussing the process. This build has taken a little longer than I wanted but it's got to be perfect.... Oh, and I can't go broke!!! Haha!

More news soon...

-RM

10. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Great thread, thanks again!

11. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Did a little prep on the 3rd member yesterday. I pulled it all apart and will be machining a solid piece to replace the crush sleeve this weekend. While it was apart I decided to go ahead and trim the casting around the outside edge. I did notice that the lip was digging into my leg on one side so this should help alleviate this issue. All the guts will go to the rear end shop next week for reassembly. Check it off the list!!!

-RM

12. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Hmmm... Couldn't post a pic on that last one. So here's the old hunk of Iron!

~RM

Attached Files:

13. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Hey Robert, what gear set are you going to use? Stocker or did you find a after market?

14. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Hey Man,

I'm just using the stock set of 3:90's for this. I don't think there were many options beyond stock to tell you the truth. There were some aftermarket goodies for the spider gears and a few spools but otherwise stock was the way to go. It should be fine even if a little burnout is in store for the car.

Cheers,

RM

15. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Joe Compani sent a pic of round 1 on color samples today! Looking a little light right now but we're on track. This is 1955 Ford Regency Purple Poly. Closest factory color I could find in my research. We will need to tweak it a touch for sure.

Enjoy!

~RM

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  16. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Wow!! Time is flying! So here's a few quick updates of what's going on.... Finished up machining the "No Crush" spacer for the rear end, fiddle fucked with the Greek coupler to make it fit the pinion splines, and then hauled all the goods to the one and only Don Doan.... This guy is the SHIT and really knows gears etc. He worked his magic and really dialed this thing in. Here's a few snappies:

~RM

Attached Files:

17. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Heads are finally cleaned up and we have a cherry pair that are ported, O-Ring'ed and ready for valves and guides. These are now at Pop Bradford's place getting the royal treatment and they will be ready to bolt on as soon as he's done.

Attached Files:

18. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

And then we moved onto the rod bearings! Lowers were drilled and prepped for battle. I needed to get this done now so that I could insert them into the rods, torque to the proper spec, and then measure the ID. Once this was complete I loaded all the goods, Pistons, Rods, Bearings, Rings, and then hauled ass down to the crank shop in Hayward to get the rotating assembly finished up. Hopefully Mike knocks this out in the next 3 weeks so I'm ready to stuff the short block together soon. Everything else is ready so he's my last hurdle!

Yippee!

~RM

Attached Files:

19. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Last but not least for this evening is the MEGA buck axles that arrived today fresh from Mark Williams. Super trick with fresh bearings and wheel studs. These were measured out by Bruce Dyda and then I double checked the dimensions at home once I got the completed 3rd member back from Don. Spot on and good to go!

~RM

Attached Files:

20. AA/FA 0045

AA/FA 0045

Just found the thread and read through it. Great build and really cool photos. I can't wait to see this in person someday.

21. Wedgehead426

Wedgehead426

Robert,
    I just ran across this thread, and my hat is off to you. I remember seeing many these cars run as a kid, and it has influenced my automotive tastes my entire life. What you are building here is nothing short of a time machine. I am trying to source original speed parts for my shop truck and that is hard enough. I can not even imagine the legwork that must go into putting something like this together. I hope to see it in the pits at the March Meet in 14. Keep the updates coming!

22. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Now for the real juice!!!! Here's the first pics from Dyda on forming up the TIN. Wow!!!! So Bitchin! Seat is all formed and happy as well as the rear section of the sides and belly pan. Keep in mind the lower section is all one piece just like Kruse did the original body. Not so easy....

Good Shit!

~RM

Attached Files:

23. Nice!!! Keep the pictures coming.

24. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Lazy owner:cool:

Attached Files:

25. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Much learned from 4 photos here. I still want to see the roll bar fitted, slowly one pic at a time. Tom S. in Tn.

26. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

It looks so Damn Bitchin.....

~RM

27. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

It is so much easier to build the seat without the cage installed

28. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Quick update:

1. All the goods have been delivered back to the Crank Shop in Hayward for the final balancing of the lower end and this should be done in the next few weeks.

2. Pop Bradford is progressing on fitting new guides to the heads and wrapping them up with valves and springs.

3. Bruce has cleared up the projects ahead of me in line and is preparing to bang out the cowl next. After that the cage can be fit and the little list of other goodies can be wrapped up.

4. I finally scored a set of Donovan Rockers for a really good price the other day and they arrived this week. These spent time on Gary Cochran's rear engine fueler and have been sitting on the shelfs for years. These will be identical to what the guys ran back in the day.

Cheers,

Robert M.

Attached Files:

29. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

More Updates:

Bruce bent up the cowl yesterday and it looks perfect! Now to trim it and do the final fit along with trimming the motor plate:

Very Nice!

~RM

Attached Files: