Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Beebe Bros, Vinson, & Sixt "Cackle Car"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE-SYNDICATE, Dec 10, 2010.

1. bobhoneybrook

bobhoneybrook

Hi Robert, things are looking good, I am more impressed every time I check on the progress, Regards Bobh.

2. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Chassis is back down on the ground and the block is back in for final details. I will finalize the front motor mounts and the rear end mounts next. The car sits absolutely perfect!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1369679438.793215.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. perkshotrods

perkshotrods

subscribed, nice work reminds me of Bee Line Dragway in Arizona. I grew up going there every weekend. I just remembered that I have some old super 8 film from that time I will see if I can dig it up. I know there is a lot of top fuel cars on them. If there is anything related I will get it on a disc and send it to you.

4. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

So, I know the updates are slow but I have been tinkering here and there. Needed to take a family vacation and we managed to knock that out last week. Now I've got some time to get back on the job and advance the chassis closer to being done.

Interesting things to note on the car since I've pulled it off the jig. I'm super happy that I did NOT drill the mounting holes for the rear end mounts. Now that its back down on the ground and basically 100% welded things have moved ever so slightly. Not much, but then again with a coupler style drive line not much is too much. It's gotta be dead on. The real twister is that I thought the clutch can may have been mis-machined due to an uneven gap between the line up bar and the output bearing hole while the car was up in the fixture. With the block all done I managed to toss in a crank and then check this whole assembly this evening. Happy to report that all things line up just dandy.

So, why did the thing look/measure off while in the JIG? I'm still searching that out but I'm onto a few detail items that might explain the situation. Good news is that the rear should be zipped up shortly and then the steering and pedals are pretty much the only thing left to do. Then it's time for tin work!

Here's a few pictures of the block and clutch can being dialed in.

Cheers,

Robert M.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371873915.594796.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371873925.644743.jpg

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  5. bobhoneybrook

bobhoneybrook

Will it be ready for the CHHR in October ????

///

6. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Glad to see I'm not the only one that's taking FOREVER..........thanks for the update Berta! Why is it, that easy stick piles take so damn long? I'm still not getting shit done on my car.

7. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Hey Bob,

With all the other crap I have had to deal with this year primarily at work I'm going to sit it out one more year on the CHRR. Slowly but surely I'll get there!

Cheers,

~RM

8. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Dude... No kidding! Like I've mentioned before I really need to be mindful of the money on this deal. I have the best wife in the world but even she will get her fur up if I shoot my wad on this car. I've been very lucky to get this car where it is today on minimal funds. I'm hoping to keep it that way and extending the time frame always helps. Realistically I've got about 2~3 weeks worth of work before it's off to the TIN shop. After that I need to get the heads done and the blower but otherwise everything else is covered.

The real kicker for me is the balance between work, family, and toys. "Well isn't that way for all of us??? ;-)" But work has become quite the monster over the past 2 years and with the $$$$$ it funnels to me I must pay close attention to it and stay the course!

Forge On!!! Forge On!

~Berta

9. bobhoneybrook

bobhoneybrook

Best of luck with it Robert, are you going to Bakersfield anyway, if so can we meet up?

10. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Looking absolutely perfect... Almost time for the Tin Work!!!!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373120371.037152.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373120388.520218.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373120411.653721.jpg

11. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

I need to mount the steering before heading off for the body so I finally figured out how the box gets in and out of the car. A minor puzzle for sure but its been solved. First step was to fab the bracket for the back of the box.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375054547.570417.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375054563.469597.jpg

Done!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375054577.769551.jpg

12. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Fresh off the Fed-Ex truck this AM! Built by Jerry Jardine himself just like the original car... So Bitchin!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375377683.594808.jpg

13. Larry G.

Larry G.

It's getting there Robert

14. I'm a sucker for '60s Fuelers, and this car gets me excited every time I see the progress. The headers are perfect for the style of the car, and even built Mr. Jardine himself. That's really cool.

I was hoping to have my push truck ready for CHHR, but it's looking slim. I'm 90% certain that I could have a Fuel car (Wilton and Doss AA/FD) to push for the Cacklefest, but with my work schedule, I don't have much free time to be able to finish the truck by October.

Oh well, I guess we'll be spectators (once again).

15. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Mounting up the steering box... I'm using little pieces of this and that to support the thing right where it need to be and then I'll build the mounts in place. If you scroll back thru a few photos I'm sure you can see the little support structure that holds the output shaft. Not your standard piece of 1/4" alum plate bolted to the frame.

That will need to be built first as it will have the biggest potential to move on me when I weld it up. Once it's dialed I can work back towards the piece of bent tube that comes up off the frame and catches the back of the box.

More news soon,

RM

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375666437.646686.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375666452.129448.jpg

16. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Making sure the shit's all in the right spot! Rod McCarrell has been helping me to lighten up some old photos for better viewing.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375667081.354244.jpg

17. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

Wow, just found this and read throught it. What a great thread.

18. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Quick update from the Hot Rod Reunion here in Bakersfield! Today was a major milestone in this project as the 3 original members associated with the car got the chance to see it in person. Lee Sixt traveled south from Idaho, Tim Beebe was here, and later in the evening I got the chance to meet up with Dave Beebe as well. A special moment for me indeed. Here's a pic with Lee And Tim. More news later...

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382273420.787980.jpg

19. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

That is way cool!

20. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Here's Dave having a look along with Roy and Chops... So Bitchin!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382368268.585371.jpg

21. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

And here's all the goods delivered to Bruce's shop late Sunday night... We spent most of Monday AM poke'n and point'n at endless amount of pictures and data. I'm super excited to see what develops from this point on.... Bruce is a Jedi Master when it comes to fabrication and the proper look and feel of vintage Fuel Cars. I will be doing my best to post updates as things happen. When it comes home it will be a roller! Yipee!!!

Attached Files:

22. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Robert, guess what was GIVEN to me today for my Buttera car (Hat to pan and everthing inbetween)

Attached Files:

23. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Wow.... That's Bitchin!!!!!!

24. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Brand new Greek coupler for the Olds rear... Doesn't fit the splines for shit! But after making love to it with the file we're all good to go!

3rd member is ready to go in for final assembly now.

-RM
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382578620.144479.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382578635.328396.jpg

25. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Then had to dial in a little blemish on the Donovan gear drive this evening as well... My inside connection there told me to clean this shit up! Yes Sir!!!

;-)

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382578769.126261.jpg

26. dmc3113

dmc3113

Glad you guys had good weather last week end. Went with J.Ed to the Atlanta $10,000 with the Hundley & Boggs car. Rain won!

27. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

And then the shipment from Aircraft Spruce arrived! What a Bitchin place... Fuel shut off, mag switch, throttle bell cranks, etc.

Attached Files:

28. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Yeah the weather was just perfect... Little warm but that just made the beer taste better at the end of the day! ;-)

~RM

29. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Boy, that was quick, what did you do, order it while driving back home:D

30. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

I blame it on having that catalog at the ready.... I couldn't hold back and had to order as fast as I could! ;-)

The fuel shut-off will be perfect!

~RM