Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Beebe Bros, Vinson, & Sixt "Cackle Car"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE-SYNDICATE, Dec 10, 2010.

1. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Oh... And just for a little rev'n up I tossed up a few more pictures around the shop! A huge collage covering the history of the car and my ultra Fav, The MEGA blow up of the car launching by Mike Mitchell. My friend Eddie Buck made this for me and I finally got it up on the wall...

Awesome...

~Berta
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Just a few snaps from today's progress... The bend in the main rail at the motor plate was nerve racking!!! Now I have to do the other side....

Attached Files:

3. Irish

Irish

Wow! That shot of the car launching is awesome! I wonder how that was shot? Thanks for posting!

4. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Don't you wish there were a way to make all the bends before getting it half fitted up. And I always had this thing about heating tubing anyway and worrying about making it weaker.
    Tom S.

5. With a very long lense!!!

6. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Maybe... It might be tight? I have a potential BIG deal going on at work and if it goes thru it would be in my best interest to stay home on the Farm this year. As we all know Work = Toys. So we will see how it all rolls out.

~Robert M.

7. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Hey Y'all,

Still chip'n away. Just been busy with some additional projects in the shop. I have recently scored some sweet LOOT for the car and a bunch of it rolled in this past weekend. Dave Tuttle was having a bit of a fire sale on shit so I snapped up a bunch.

Clutch w/ Spares
    Parachute
    Throwout Bearing and Candle Stick
    Complete Rebuilt Rockers

And thanks to a very nice gentleman I scored an entire set of fresh bearings...

Too Cool!!!

Chassis work resumes shortly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

~Berta

8. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

It appears the cameraman was a thrill seeker. . .

9. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Yes, 100%. This is the only way I could swing it on this car. I guess I could take measurements now and have new tubes bent but it's not worth it. Plus many a car were built this very way so I'm safe.

The next car I build will be pre-bent for sure. I'm taking good notes as I go along on this one!

~Berta

10. Robert, You have one of the BEST threads on the H.A.M.B.!
    I'am assuming you'll be running this FED on Nitro, what percentage of Nitro would you be running? Also what fuel makes up the "other" part?

Here is a Hemi FED on 87% Nitro:

http://youtu.be/Y8azm0NyuBM

11. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

The last car we built used Mark Williams pre-bent kit parts wherever we could. But on every car we always had to heat and light bend in areas around the motor and in the front of the cockpit etc just like you are doing.

Hmmm, there are chute pack bodies around, if you took measurements now, what could you sell a complete pre-bent kit for this car or one similar? Plans w/drawings maybe?

just a thought......Tom S. in tn.

12. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Ah…. Big news….

1st off A MILLION THANKS TO MARTY HARRISON!!!!!! A man that is truly behind the restoration and maintaining the history of these cars! It was just by chance that I saw this part while reviewing all the 100's of photos he recorded during the rebuild/recreate of the Hundley and Boggs AA/FD. One day I'm sifting thru and I see what looks like 5 little bolts on the steering box vs. 3??? Hmmm…… Wait a minute!!! So I rapidly blast off an email trying to find out if I'm really seeing what I think I'm seeing!!!!

Yep! The ever so hard to obtain RCS steering box. The ONLY hard part remaining for the proper restoration/rebuild/recreate, "whatever you want to call it" of the Beebe Bros, Vinson & Sixt AA/FD. Turns out the H&B car had a P&S box originally and Marty felt it would be proper to make that correct. So we strike a deal, Money & Wine goes to Hanna, P&S Box goes to Marty, and the pretty little FedEx girl arrives this AM with my "Needle in the Haystack"

We've got all the good shit now!!!

Original Front Axle and Wing Plate
    A true RCS Clutch can
    Proper Frankie MAG
    The Eelco Fuel Tank
    and last but not least…. This DAMN steering box!

Oh, yes… And the Olds Rear-end… ;-) Thanks to Hanna for that one…

Well plus many Thousands of dollars worth of other proper 60's T/F stuff but who's keep'n track of that…

Here's some Kodak's for ya.

~Robert M.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Good to hear things are still progressing!!! Steering box is a nice piece!

What's the 32 next to it?

15. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Hey Man!!

Thanks for the good words! Yeah this deal will be set up to run 90~92% Nitro. Burnout might be done with a bit less but Cackling will be with a bunch of JUICE! Should be fun...

:)

~Berta

16. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Wow, got it made in the shade drinking lemonade!!! 32 roadster too!!!

18. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

Awesome, man. You must be stoked!

19. rooman

rooman

If heating the engine bay rails to bend them was good enough for Don Long I think that we can let you get away with it Robert.

Roo

20. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

OK,

Long time, no update... Sorry about that! I've been trying to shuffle some shit around in the shop, let the wallet recover a bit and regroup. Good news is that there is progress, just not much to look at.

1. The new Crower 2-Disc Clutch should be done and shipped out today from East-West Engineering. This will be a nice addition to the car and should give me no trouble moving forward.

2. The upper rails are both now bent and will allow me to finish up the top Chassis hoop hopefully in the next week or so. This was a real bitch to bend and I really needed it to be right. Proud to say that it's perfect! I'll be back to fitting up more pipe very soon...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Rod McCarrel continues to shower me with super bitchin history about the car and I have happily received 2 huge packages in the mail with Old Drag News articles etc covering the car. One of my Favorite advertisements is listed in this post. Late '67 after the car has been front halved by RCS and Mulligan is firmly in the seat. They Rip Off a whopping 6.70 @ 230MPH.... What's new at Hays??? Haul'n Ass.....

4. Got off the phone with Tim Beebe yesterday and confirmed a few things about the used rods I had bought from Jim Murphy's car. Turns out they are perfect after all for my deal and Tim said he would have used a longer rod back in the day if he could. Less side pressure on the cylinder walls and a much better rod angle. Well then... I think I'll use them! This is actually really good news as a set of Brooks rods run about $1200.00 and these cost me $600.00 They only have about 6 runs on them so that's fine by me.

5. With the connecting rod deal being settled I can now insert the bearings and take formal measurements to set the crank dimensions. The block is pretty much done and cleaned up at 0.020" over so I will also be able to order pistons and hopefully wrap up the bottom end of the motor.

6. The Debut.... Well for sure the finished car debut will be pushed to CHRR 2013. This tacks on 1 more year and allows me room to breathe. I will possibly roll the car out in Bare Metal at some point much like Roger Lee did this past March meet with the Masters and Richter car.

Here's that Bitchin Advertisement!
    [​IMG]

And some other little goodies from the Archives:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers,

Robert M.

21. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

It's really starting to come together. That thing is going to be awesome.

22. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Nice job on the the bends, Chassis is looking good Tim Jones

23. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Careful on the engine there grasshopper.:D

24. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

No go on the used rods Lippy? I'll make sure they're on size still before they go in. They seem like they're in new condition and there's no sign of wear on them. I'm finishing up a little side job right now in the shop that should generate enough cash to wrap up the short block. I would really like to get that assembled and just tuck it away in the corner. Too many parts scattered all over the place!

Back 2 Work!

~Berta

25. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

26. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Ok... So It's been awhile but I can assure you I haven't been idle. Slow progress here and there ya know!! So let's kick things off with what I'll call a Big Bang! Thanks to Rod McCarrell I now have in my possession John Mulligan's firesuit that he wore during his driving stint with this car! It's simply amazing what can come out of the wood work when you get going on a project like this. I can't thank him enough for passing this along.

[​IMG]

Way Bitchin! A perfect item to add to the collection...

Next Up! Pistons! Fine work from the fella's over at Arias and they arrived last week with pins, buttons, and a fresh set of Total Seal rings. I'll be on my way back down the the Boys at S&S soon to drop these off for the final hone job and balance work on the lower end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been slammed with other projects in the shop this summer but I finally think I have time to get back on the frame in the next week or so. Maybe will have the whole thing tacked up solid by the time Harvest starts here at the winery. No rush! Enjoy the trip!

More news soon,

Robert M.

27. Been subscribed a loong time Robert,great to see the progress and triple kudo's for scoring The Zookeepers suit...sweet! :D

28. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Thanks for the good words. :)

-RM

29. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Cool, thanks for the updates.

30. ardyboy

ardyboy

Just came across this thread--subscribed...awesome!!!