Register now to get rid of these ads!

Become a salt hero the EZ way!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jangleguy, Jan 12, 2007.

1. jangleguy

jangleguy

It's been so long since I've posted on here, I should probably introduce myself to the new people: I'm Rockys little brother. 21 years ago, he and I built a low buck hot rod using a Morris Minor body - I still have it - been driving/racing it all these years. I'd post a photo if I weren't such a knuckledragger (I don't know how).
    Anyway, the Morris is getting freshened this winter (it's in a million pieces right now). Next summers plans include the usual street/strip fun, with a twist in September: running the USFRAs 130MPH Club at Bonneville. The plan is to run through the 130 zone and see how it handles around 140 and if it's semi-stable at that speed, we try the 150 Club.
    Rocky and I tried this in 1996, but when we got to the salt, we found it was underwater - doh! We had a blast jangling around Wendover for a few days (and making some unofficial runs on the salt access road), then headed back home and went on with our lives. But it's been eating at me ever since - the one that got away. So I'll try again in '07. But.....
    I'm a VERY low income guy. I'm giving blood to fund a savings account for gas money, etc. Anyway, three of my closest friends are helping out and will be coming with me. We could use a place to stay one night on the way there and another night on the way back. A spot on the shop floor or in the barn is fine - we don't need anything fancy. We're also looking for any hot rod work that won't take more than a few hours to perform (to raise food/gas money - whatever you can pay). We'll be printing up some T-shirts soon, to give as souvenirs (I mean, valuable collectibles) to folks that help us on our way. We're also available for lawn mowing, cat box cleaning, dog walking, etc.
    We'll be leaving Medford, Oregon on or about the early morning of Saturday,Sept. 8th. My pal Chris and I will be driving the Morris and Chili Pepper George and Lockjaw might follow in my wagon, or maybe Georges RPU, or they might even come out a couple days later - we haven't decided all that yet. But for sure, Chris and I will be driving the Morris. From Medford, we'll head to Klamath Falls (which doesn't really have a falls) and get on Hwy140 there, headed to Winnemucca, Nevada. From there, we'll take I-80 to Wendover (stopping frequently to refill the 2 gallon fuel tank).
    Now, we don't know if anyone actually lives out there on that stretch of road, but if you do, you MUST be lonesome - maybe we can help each other out? Besides the custom one-off T-shirt, you might also get famous (if you want), as this adventure might be getting some magazine ink.
    I tried this same approach to get to the '06 HAMB drags and didn't get a single response. I'm not expecting any better here, but felt I had to do this, so I can say I tried. I might dig out this post every couple of months and send it back to the top. Now it's all up to you guys..............................
    Scotty

2. scootersnpie

scootersnpie

If by chance you change direction a little or on the return trip cut across 58 through Bakersfield I'm open to the gang at my place and the grill with some New Yorks and fuel $ would be fitting as I can remember those times also guys...go for it because could have, should have will stink for the reat of your lives! Shoot me a PM and let me know the particulars and we can go from there. If I miss you on the trip down I will see you at the salt. Best of Luck ! Dave

3. jangleguy

jangleguy

Hey, thanks Dave! I'll PM you in a minute.

4. jangleguy

jangleguy

By the way, just to be clear: We're heading to the USFRA World of Speed in September, NOT the SCTA Speed Week in August.

And hey, one reply to this post is about 100% better response than I got for the HAMB drags one. That's quite an improvement.....

5. LongnLow

LongnLow

thats cause drag racers suck!

6. jangleguy

jangleguy

Well, that's what I hear about the redhaired ones. Could you be the Humbolt Cats alter ego???

7. LongnLow

LongnLow

naaah-that wouldn't be tim-the-pandragger, would it?

8. old kid

old kid
    Member Emeritus
    from middle ga

if you get lost and find yourself in georgia, you've all got a place to stay.
    dan

9. jangleguy

jangleguy

Pandragger Tim, indeed! Hey, wanna go on a really fun adventure???

10. jangleguy

jangleguy

Hey, thanks, Dan - Just in case I don't get the GPS system installed by then. Or if we decide to make a run at the Maxton Mile instead - that's close enough to commute from your place, right?

11. jangleguy

jangleguy

So I was right - nobody really lives out there! The houses and outbuildings I've seen are actually federally owned fronts for missle silos aimed at Canada!
    Which means nobody will care if our little band of hot rod gypsys spends a night in one. Thanks guys - you've told me just what I need to know.....

12. FencePost

FencePost

When you get the shirts.. I'll take one..XL please

13. jangleguy

jangleguy

FencePost: Actually, the T-shirt project may have gotten a boost just last night! So we could be in production soon. If Ryan doesn't mind, maybe we can sell some here to raise a few bucks for the trip? If we donate some for a HAMB auction? Should we put these in the classifieds? Please advise...

Anyway, we'll put you down for one XL...Thanks!

14. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

Nevermind this guy, I hear he may be a drag queen after hours.
    Eureka is pretty close to you, but I have lots of room if something comes up.
    Crusty

15. jangleguy

jangleguy

Crusty - I've heard the same thing about that guy...Well, now we're talking about forgetting B-ville and just making a top speed run from Eureka to Georgia - we have more sleeping options that way...Hey, that sounded kind of negative - we really want to thank everyone who responds to this at all - we consider it all as support. We have a lot of work and a long hard drive ahead of us, so we need all the "support" we can get. Thanks guys!

16. jangleguy

jangleguy

17. Tdreamer

Tdreamer

i'd take a shirt...i like these kinda storys...the quest for speed

18. elwood blues

elwood blues

Hey I'm a sidewinder I'm building a 67 datsun pickup to run late this year. Good luck with your runs this year

19. jangleguy

jangleguy

Tdreamer - I have you down for one shirt (what size?). Thanks!

Elwood - I have a soft spot in my head for those Datsun pickups. Good luck to you, as well. Maybe your Datsun can tow the Morris carcass off the course when the new engine "breaks in"...

I've just been kind of kidding about taking T-shirt orders here. Better wait until
    1. There are actual T-shirts to talk about (and you can see the design).
    2. I find out how Ryan wants me to handle the transaction on here.
    But thanks to everyone for your interest!

20. GARY?

GARY?

Is the Morris you speek of the black one that makes quite an appearance at the Medford strip? If so I love the pok-a-dot hair bag for a scoop cover.
    Love the rest of the car too.
    Later, Gary

21. GARY?

GARY?

This one I mean. Rocky sent me this pic a while ago.

Attached Files:

22. I like Oregon cept you can't pump yer own damn gas (that aint right) so feeling empathy for your quest, and that you live someplace that you can't be trusted to put gas into your own car I will gladly buy a shirt (XL) or two, to help fund the trip. Keep us posted! I'd let you stay at my place but I'm not on the way to Bonnie or Georgia.......

23. jangleguy

jangleguy

Cornboy - Yeah, I'm afraid that's my car (and the VW belongs to our little brother Mark). Are you around the Medford area? PM me or somethin'...

Ratboy - If you knew me, you wouldn't trust me with a gas nozzle, either. But thanks for the show of support - I'll tentatively put you down for 1 XL.

As of this writing, our agents are in intense negotiations with representatives of a giant of the garment industry (and a HAMB Alliance member), trying to hammer out a T-shirt deal. These guys are really stepping up to support this little grassroots adventure! This is just too cool...Will make some kind of announcement when it's a done deal.
    Thanks again everybody,
    Jangleboy

24. NO, NO, NO TWO shirts! not just one, one is not enough! Damn you guys have Dutch Brothers coffe, that makes up for the no gas pumping thing......Oh and the car is bitchin by the way!

25. jangleguy

jangleguy

Okay, okay, I got it - two XLs, no anchovies. Sorry. And hey, half a cup of Dutch Bros triple shot espesso per gallon raises the octane rating a full point! Smells good, too...

26. LongnLow

LongnLow

yeah, lots of room- if you don't mind sleeping in a chicken coop!
    I'd love to go, but with a new job looming on the horizon, my summer is starting to look pretty full. Thanks for the offer, and if you need a real house to stay in, mines always open!

27. Scotty,
    48 Hemi here, put me down for a couple large T's and I might be up for that tour next Sept and you can sleep in the bed of my truck outside my Motel Room. I'm an old fuck and don't do the ground!.....Jim

28. ratstar

ratstar

Hey I live an hour away from the salt currently. Your more than welcome to stop in for a place to sleep and some food. I'll put you to work shaving my back! lol. No really I live an hour out of the Salt, and you are more than welcome to it. Of course I live on the Utah side, not the nevada.

let me know when.

29. Hmmmm, September? THe Knight Bros might want to see you two cretins on the salt. We will stay in touch. T

Dont be a stranger Scotty, the library has internet ya know?!

30. jangleguy

jangleguy

Hey Thanks Jim! Er, I mean, uh Noname...Good to hear from you again (I think). That's a pretty nice offer from you - we'll wait 'till September and see if you're still feeling so generous...Until then, take care and tell everybody in Happy Rock HI from me. You're down for two large collectable shirts.
    Scotty