Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bearing clearances for higher RPM in a SBC?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod To Hell, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

I'm finally getting around to putting the Chevy II back together, and the bearing clearances are a little tighter than what I'm used to running, but a lot of you have done this way more than I have, so I thought I'd see what you think.

It's a factory 2 bolt 400SBC block, with ARP studs; the crank is a brand new Eagle 4340 crank, and I'm running Clevite H series bearings. I plan to shift around 7500rpm.

All five mains are coming in at exactly .002", whereas I normally shoot for between .0025"-.003". I'm finding a lot of information that says that .002" will work just fine, but nobody really mentions the effects of RPM on proper bearing clearances. I also find a ton of info that says to run .003"-.004" (seems awful loose to me)!

Here's an interesting article where Callies says that .002"-.0025" is ideal for any RPM range: http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/t...tblock/4380_bearing_clearance_info/index.html

Once the motor's broken in, I'll be running full synthetic, in whatever weight I need to give me oil pressure numbers I'm happy with. (I usually run 5w20).

I haven't checked the rods yet...

So, anyway, what do you think? Is .002" acceptable main clearance for a street/race motor that will see 7500rpm?

Thanks in advance!
    Steve

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

You'll probably be fine with .002, but I'd like to see a little more room there. As a general rule for racing and high RPM applications you want the clearances a little looser to accomodate rapid expansion of the crank. Making HP makes HEAT.

3. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

They make extra clearance bearings (rods and mains) and you can spit sets if need be.

Those cranks are known to be finished on the large side

and I would like to see a little more as well

Call me if you need help,

Tony

4. Deuces

Deuces

I'd put some miles on it before I'd go racing with it...

5. Larry T

Larry T

Chevrolet says .002-.003, minimum preferred, on mains in the Chevrolet Power Manual.

A very smart man once told me to be sure to check the rods for enough side clearance in a performance engine.
    Larry T

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

.002 is about perfect. Is it "exactly" .002 or like.0021-2? Plastigage, snap gauge and mic, or dial bore gauge for measuring? It makes a difference with a dial bore being the most accurate. Sounds obvious, I know. Sorry...

7. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

If it's dead nuts on, .002 is about perfect.
    More clearance requires more oil pressure
    and volume and /or thicker (higher viscosity)
    oil, which means more power required to
    drive a higher pressure/higher volume oil
    pump and thicker oil - and also, more
    potential for spark scatter and distributor
    timing variations at high rpm. Also, looser
    clearances means more oil leaking past the
    bearings and flying around the crankcase,
    causing more windage. Both of these things
    - the bigger oil pump and the additional
    windage cost power, *especially* at high
    rpm.

Mart3406
    ================

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  8. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

I used my dial bore gauge and mics (but they're all made in China swap meet specials) which show .002"-.0021", and Plastigage, which shows exactly .002".

9. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Also ck your journals across ,as well as round

some of their cranks can be .0002-.0004 tapered and out of round

Not the end of the world .....just that you need to know that your .002 is the tightest

Also a 400 main being larger than a 350 I would lean towards .0025 on both rods and mains on something that wasnt stock

Tony

redlineracer42 likes this.
  10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If the journals are round,(lots arent, especially when you start playing around with the cheaper aftermarket stuff)and its not a circle track endurance motor, its dead on.Watch the side clearance .015-.017 is what you are looking for with steel rods. Less pump, wont suck the pan dry, lower oil level=power.

11. Lucky3

Lucky3

I deal only with race engines and all of ours are set up with .002 - .0025 as is yours. We spin them 10,000 rpm plus and all works well. Perfect clearance for 5w-30 synthetic (after break in oil). You're right on the money !

12. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

Alright... so it looks like I'm gonna run it!

Thanks everyone!