Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Bear trap. Just walk away.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steel rebel, Jul 15, 2015.

1. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Has anybody else tried to rebuild and then install the door window mechanism on a 48 Plymouth? It is spring loaded like a bear trap.
    Some of the pinion teeth in the crank on the driver door of mine wore out. I fixed them a few weeks ago but wash't looking forward to putting it all back together. I am planning to take the car on a run this weekend so got out there this morning. I fought it for maybe two or more hours and couldn't get it all together. About 10am I had to take the dog to the groomer. Cleaned up drove her down there. Came back, sat down and had a beer. Decided to go out and give it another shot. It then just all went together. Not sure if the beer had anything to do with it but I'm sure the "walk away" did.
    Gary

Eljorger likes this.
  2. Window regulators can be a major PITA, It took me several days of fighting to get one in my sedan.

Turned out the stop pin was on the wrong side. HRP

3. Beer and a walk-away helps lots of issues.

4. Gary some times that's the best thing to do.I had to walk away from the 56 buick wagon a lot but my drink was vodka.LOL. Bruce. 002 (9).JPG

5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was fixing a window regulator for my neighbor's Nomad. It has a power motor. I had it in a vise and was carefully removing the motor ( I thought) I knew it had spring pressure and had vise grips holding it in position. Undid the bolts and while removing the motor WHAMMO!- vise grips couldn't hold the spring pressure. Hit me in the side of the head and cut my nose!!! Saw stars for a bit then went back at it-they pack a wallop!!! Be careful

6. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

That's what I finally had to do is set the trap and hold it with vice grips. My vice grips held though.

7. I cut the crap outta my thumb replacing a regulator on an off topic ride. That spring surprised the shit outta me.