Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bear Claw Type Latch pops open on bumps

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by BJR, Aug 8, 2022.

1. BJR

BJR

I installed power Bear Claw type latches on my 49 Buick. When I hit a hard bump the passenger door pops open but catches on the second latch. I moved the pin to better center it in the latch, and it seemed to help. But on a hard bump the door still goes to the second latch. I have had no problems with the drivers door. I say Bear Claw type as I am not sure they are Bear Claw brand. They came with power solenoids from the factory. Anyone have any ideas on what to try next or is the latch bad.

Tow Truck Tom and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Tow Truck Tom, chryslerfan55 and BJR like this.
  3. Sounds like second latch is not completely locking.
    With the door open, if you use a screw driver to move the latch, once it fully locks, can you get the second latch to release by putting pressure on the screw driver?

We need to see if the second latch is weak, or the pin position on the jamb doesn't allow the second latch to fully lock.

Tow Truck Tom, chryslerfan55 and BJR like this.
  4. gene-koning

gene-koning

I suspect the door stops moving before the primary part of the latch full engages. The door is likely contacting the door frame before the latch fully catches.
    Try moving the "pin" towards the outside sheet metal a little more, and see if that makes a difference.

5. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

I installed the Altman bear claw type latches and it was like night and day from '49 Chevy half ton stock latches, which admittedly isn't saying much. They are great, although, I think they have gotten crazy expensive.

chryslerfan55 and BJR like this.
  6. I sell made in USA latches that don't have the problem. I suspect your latches are made offshore (China) and are not as high of quality, specifically the teeth on the ratchet part are not sharp or the tolerances too big and allowing to slip. Or there may be something weighty that puts pressure on the release lever and it moves on a bump.

I have sold multiple sets to customers over the years who replaced their poor quality latches that were popping open on a bump. The made in USA latches i sell fixed their problem. Indicating it was a poor quality latch problem and not an installation problem.

7. CyaNide

CyaNide
    from Texas

I had the same problem with mine and got some from 38Chevy454 and they bolt right in and work perfectly. Mine is a shoebox.

CN

8. BJR

BJR

I will look at it this week end and see if moving the pin out helps. It's hard to test without driving over a bumpy road as it seems to latch good until a hard bump. I have tested it with a screwdriver and it always stays locked. I will report back after this week end, as the car is not stored where I live.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

I’ve no experience with these, but have a question. Are you saying the BC type of latch is a bolt in replacement for a stock setup? I’d always thought fab work was involved.
    Thanks.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. @Budget36 , I think they mean they are a bolt in replacement for inferior quality bear claw latches, not stock latches.

Correct @CyaNide , @38Chevy454 ?

chryslerfan55 and Budget36 like this.
  11. Correct, all of the bear claw style latches use the same hole mounting pattern for the given size latch. Two main sizes are used. Either 3 bolt for the smaller size or 4 bolt for the larger size.

Installing bear claw latches in replacement of stock latches will require some fabrication work.

Budget36 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. BJR

BJR

rockable likes this.
  13. johnno111

johnno111

I have the same problem on my 36 Plymouth...any updates, did it fix your problem?

14. silent rick

silent rick

Is the solenoid that operates the latch mounted securely?
    If not, when you hit a bump, it could bounce slightly tugging on the cable, partially releasing the latch.

15. BJR

BJR

No up dates, I pulled my transmission for a rebuild and am having a new drive shaft made. So no new info for the door issue.

16. Just looked at a 51 Chevy with the same problem. Looks like wear deep in the two claws latches. Sometimes it works fine other it will not snap closed. Owner ordered new latches.