Register now to get rid of these ads!

bear claw latches???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SpeedRacer2002, Dec 19, 2007.

1. SpeedRacer2002

SpeedRacer2002

who has used them and where is the best place to get them from??? whats the good and whats the bad with them??? any info would be great...

2. FASI

FASI

99% of them are manufactured by Tri-Mark. Various configurations available. Google them for contact info. They sell retail, so you save some dough.

3. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

The good- saftey, they stay latched if they are installed corrrectly.
    The bad- They are complicated to incorporate with oem levers and handles, I hate shaved doors.

4. I pay $8.00 for double latches and $1.00 for pins. anything more is retail mark up.

5. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

were do you buy them for 8 bucks

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

I got mine on ebay for like $20 a pair....

(Hey my 2000th post!!! cool!)

7. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

Ya, Where do you buy them for $8.00 and where can I?

8. The bad is if you suicide the doors the pin sticks right out into the path your knee cap will take to get into the car.

9. cretin

cretin

I got mine from rocky hinge. The ones I got are nice if you are going to shave your handles because the latch has the solenoid built in, which makes installation pretty easy. No compaints about them so far.

10. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Source please?

11. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

Speedway is the cheapest I've found.

12. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I just put some in my shoebox. The large size ones are the double latch style, that's what I used. I thought they were kinda hard to install and get them to all line up correctly, but maybe that's just cuz I've never done anything like that before. I read another guy had to re-weld his a few times as well, but maybe he's an amateur like me :D

The problem I've had is if you use the install kit, it places the pin really far towards the inside of the car on a shoebox ford, it's just a lot of modification and trial and error. At least for me.

Another way to go is to put the pin on the door and the latch on the sill.

I bought mine from someone on the hamb, in the hambodex I think, and paid around $60 for the large latches and install kit.

I didn't go with the built in solenoids because it looked like too tight a fit with the window channel.

I have shaved doors so I don't know about hooking up the stock handle, but the inside handle is a breeze on mine.

They're really solid, nice latches.

If I had it to do over again I may not use the install kit.

13. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

I wish I could find them for $8.00 I would buy a whole box of them.... I am a dealer for auto loc, speedway, etc... Jason..

14. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

were a auto lock dealer,and speed way

15. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I think you can get them real cheap at Austin Hardware (online). Look for "rotary latches". There are a LOT, but only some are DOT approved (if that matters!)

16. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Here at the U of A where I work, we have various karts and electric trucks that use TriMark bear claw latches. Over time, the gripping teeth wear out, and the doors won't stay closed. You can see these teeth inside the latches, like really fine gear mesh.
    I won't use them, I like a more positive engagement, like an OEM part, where heavier stepped ratcheting parts engage.

17. nexxussian

nexxussian

So what do you reccomend, 1950 Chevy Suburban? I realise things will vary, but have you come across a set that are easier than others?

18. jj mack

jj mack

WOW $10.50 to ~$20 depending on what you get!!! Stainless steel also!!!
    www.austinhardware.com

Thanks

19. Retrorod

Retrorod

I got mine from Hagan I think. It took me alot of hours to get the original door handles (both inside & outside) to work properly. I had to fabricate all the linkage and had to be a little tricky about it. The nice thing is....I still operate it all just like Henry intended except they are nice and safe.

20. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I used a set of Yugo / Fiat latches in the '50 Burb, since the doors are so thin. Lots of Euro cars in the 80's used these, very well made units. Actually easy to find.
    I've been told Dodge Omni latches are good too for thin doors.

If door thickness is no issue, I like 70's - 80's GM truck latches, weld in the entire jamb area.

21. nexxussian

nexxussian

22. barfers

barfers
    from Florida

someone sells an install kit? I only saw the latches in speedway? wanna put some on my shoebox. thanks