Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Beads are forming inside my TIG welder!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cktasto, Apr 26, 2014.

1. cktasto

cktasto

Anyone know why these beads are forming on the two plates (capacitors?) in my DialArc. I heard some intermittent noise while welding (usually when letting off the pedal). I pulled off the cover and saw these beads.

I replaced the torch and hose a few months ago after forgetting to turn the water on and melting the hose. the new hose is longer (25' versus 12.5') but otherwise same hose from airgas.

Notice the plate with more beading has a weld that's more deteriated than the plate with less beading. on the first picture you see some cables with rubber and plastic insulation. the insulation isnt damaged at all...zero. could the beading be from the manufacture of the plates and not from my use of the machine?

The inside of the machine is pretty clean.

I dont know if the beading occurred when I melted the hose or after.

I'm going to run the machine this afternoon without the cover on it and see if I can see whats going on that way.
    Thanks

Charlie

Attached Files:

2. That looks like weld splatter from a stick welder. Probably from the guy that did that Funky looking weld. Are they actually stuck to the frame work?
    The Wizzard

3. cktasto

cktasto

thanks for the reply.
    that's what I'm thinking is that they're related to the welds directly adjacent to the area of splatter. where I've got a lot of splatter the weld is pretty crapy, and where I've got less splatter the weld looks better.

they're definetly stuck to the capacitor plates (not the frame).

the machine is making an odd noise though when I step off the pedal...like a electrical switch closing or arc maybe