Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods bead roller question: shaping beads starts and ends

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by napalmv8, Sep 19, 2017.

1. napalmv8

napalmv8

Hi guys!
    Failed to find an answer using search on forums, so asking here.
    If I use dies with radial profile it is OK and the start and end of bead look just like factory ones with proper radius finish. But if I use flat profile dies, bead's start and end are square, not radius. What is most common technique to make them radial to look like factory ones?

2. napalmv8

napalmv8

Thanks a lot!!! This is exactly what I was looking for!

dana barlow likes this.
  3. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Damn that was easy.

4. napalmv8

napalmv8

Seemed to be easy until I tried to do it myself with my beads ;)
    The difference between dies I use and Lazze's ones is that they have round shape while mine are trapezium shaped (aprox 1 inch wide). So here are some photos of my experiment:
    Firstly I tried to make same die as Lazze showed in his video. Tried to stamp end of bead with it. The result is crappy :(

DSC_2368[1].JPG DSC_2372[1].JPG

I have tried to make die with taper shape but got the same bad result :(
    DSC_2370[1].JPG

Any suggestions? ;)

5. My guess is your tool does not have a sharp/thin enough edge. The ones Lazze is using are punches designed to cut through things like leather so they have an almost knife like edge.

Hnstray likes this.
  6. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

The procedure is called coining.
    A male and female die are required.
    Make them to your satisfaction and weld each die to separate leafs of a strap hinge that when closed the dies meet in alignment.
    Slip the panel between the hinge leaves, align the dies in the proper location on the panel, close the hinge bringing both dies in contact with the panel and strike either die with a hammer (or press) causing the dies to press the shape in the panel.
    Some experimenting will get you to an acceptable die set. Barn door hinges come in several sizes and you want "reach" into the panel.
    Once the coining tool is perfected the coining is quick and easy.

napalmv8, Okie Pete and Hnstray like this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

Here's an idea: for the coining strap hinge, make the lower button die fully round. Make the top die with a half cutout like the Lazze die, but pinned to the hinge strap so it can rotate around. Then you have more angles you can come at the bead from, not just straight on.

8. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Die set attached to strap hinge. 102_2566.JPG

9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Just looking at your die you need to do more work on it..... the way I see it. ;)

10. The end shape needs to make up It's mind-
    if it will finish "trapezoid to round" transition or in "trapezoid fade to nothing" transition.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  11. napalmv8

napalmv8

I have tried to make prototype of John Worden's coining device from scrap metal and it worked fine!
    Here are some pictures of my steup. Scrap car door hinge and some pieces i found in scrap metal ;)
    DSC_2396[1].JPG
    DSC_2398[1].JPG

Firstly I tried to use it with small hammer - it required a series of blows and result was not good due to some misalignment of stamp and die after each blow :(
    Then I tried to use heavy sledgehammer and it worked fine.
    DSC_2392[1].JPG

Now I will try to make myself to rebuild test coininig setup to look fine and not to leave it as it is now ;)

Many thanks!

39 Aaron NZ likes this.