Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods bead roller questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brownieandthemerc, Dec 30, 2016.

1. brownieandthemerc

brownieandthemerc
    from ontario

I have an Eastwood bead roller that I want to add a motor to. I am thinking of a 1/10 horsepower with a 100 to 1 gear reduction drive. I would then use sprockets to reduce to 5 to 10 rpm or use a speed controller at this point. I have not yet started this project yet and am looking for any advice and input. If you have done something similar to this, or willing to share how you did yours, any advice or what you did to power yours would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Chris
    [email protected]

2. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

There is someone who sells that motor on the HAMB. delcar is one of them.

3. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Find the "Homemade tools and equipment " thread on here, I recall that there are several power conversions on there.

4. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

someone is useing a Harbor Freight 120 volt winch motor, They said it worked gooder.

5. Dirtyharry63

Dirtyharry63

I made a stand and added a motor to mine a couple years ago. I got the gears,motor, and a variable speed drive from McMaster car catalog. Works great

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Dirtyharry63

Dirtyharry63

7. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I thought about using a power incline gearmotor from a treadmill I scrapped out, but wasn't sure if it would have enough oomph to do the job. Something like 4 1/4 RPM and reversible.

Gary

8. PoRodder

PoRodder
    from St. Louis

A Surplus Center gearmotor, such as part number 5-1889 may take you where you want to go, cheaply too.

9. patterg2003

patterg2003

I have been saving info to build a budget bead roller. A couple saved for a reference used angle gear drive. This is an example.

Another one found used the following drive successfully that was also kept a reference for hp, rpm etc. Found this and similar used ones on ebay.
    Dayton Gear Reducer and Motor 6K329A
    1/6th hp (original was 1/8th hp)
    43:1 ratio
    225 in/lbs torque
    45 rpm
    4:1 chain drive
    Operating the drive up with a foot control is the way to go.
    Good luck with your quest.

10. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I just bought a Woodward manual Bead Roller than bought a "kit" off the HAMB classifieds to convert to Electric with reverser. Comes with foot control. If interested in the supplier I can have his info in the morn?
    delcar out of CA., as mentioned above builds and sells the "kit" when the Dayton motor is available.................
    image2.JPG

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    tb33anda3rd likes this.