Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bead roller/ Irvan Smith

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29Jay, Jan 14, 2009.

1. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a chance to buy these from a moving sale. I searched and searched and not find anything on this.... The price is right, but is this the good stuff, or the crappy stuff re-sold by someone else.

Thanks guys!
    Jay

2. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

The bead roller looks kind of weak. I think I would pass on it, but the stretcher/shrinker might be worth your bucks. Do both sets of jaws come with it?

3. john walker

john walker

my invan-smith shrinker /stretcher works fine. made in USA.

4. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Yes the shrink and stretch jaws are with it. The part number for the Irwan bead roller is ISO-MBR-24 if their web site help you know better what it is. I know everyone sayes the HF roller is crap... So I know I don't want to buy them... I need a roller for a few small jobs....

5. 067chevy

067chevy

My HF bead roller works fine after I worked it over. I think that one will work if you beef it up.

6. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

So if HF is cheaper than their asking price, would I be better off at my local HF? by working over, you mean adding beef, like many others here have done?

Thanks,

7. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

The american made shrinker and stretchers are made by Lancaster. Most places sell them in the $170.00-$190.00 price range.

You didn't say what they are asking but maybe that will give you something to go by.

Make sure you know what you are buying. I've seen guys try to pass the imports off as American made for more money.

8. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Sealed: They are asking $150 for the Shrinker/Stretcher. it is listed as one body w/ 2 jaws. The Bead roller is offered at $250. 24" 20ga steel rated, only the 1/4" roller. They also have a HF 12" roller with all the sizes for $75.

www.irvansmith.com
    bead roller retails at $335. Shrinker/shretcher retails at $170 for the body & Shinker + $70 for the Stetcher die

9. Racewriter

Racewriter

Irvan-Smith makes good stuff, and it's all American made. The "Irvan" is Vic Irvan, father of NASCAR racer Ernie, and fabricator supreme.

10. redhumphries

redhumphries

I have the electric version of that bead roller and use it on 18 gauge all the time it is not like the HF one at all. I also have the english wheel from them it is getting close to 15 years old and still works fine. They are good people and stand behind their products for what you will be paying you can't go wrong RED

11. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I dunno... I bought the shorter-length HF bead roller, planning on using the dies, gears and blocks as a donor for the one I want to make. I paid less than $75 on sale. That's a bunch of dies for the price.

-Brad

12. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

A little AM bump for the coffee crowd... Has any else used this bead roller?

13. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

On the hf dies, you had better be rolling light weight stuff and be real gentle with them
    made out of junk metal, they will nick and and distort.

what redhumphries said.

14. I had a HF bead roller; I gave it away and bought the kit from Pro Tools. We put it together in a couple hours, works great. The rollers are high quality steel, with a shiny, almost chrome surface. The HF dies, which only have six profiles, and not only are some cheap metal and not well finished, but are a different size than all the other quality rollers on the market. This will be an issue if you want to buy one of the many different profile roller sets out there, they won't fit the HF roller. I'd think twice before building a roller based on those dies.

http://www.pro-tools.com/drolls.htm

<CENTER><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=500 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>[​IMG] </TD><TD align=middle>[​IMG] </TD><TD align=middle>[​IMG] </TD><TD align=middle>[​IMG] </TD><TD align=middle>[​IMG] </TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>3/16" FLAT</TD><TD align=middle>1/4" FLAT</TD><TD align=middle>5/16" FLAT</TD><TD align=middle>3/8" FLAT</TD><TD align=middle>1/2" FLAT</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>$55</TD><TD align=middle>$55</TD><TD align=middle>$55</TD><TD align=middle>$55</TD><TD align=middle>$55</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>

<CENTER><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=500 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>[​IMG] </TD><TD align=middle>[​IMG] </TD><TD align=middle>[​IMG] </TD><TD align=middle>[​IMG] </TD><TD align=middle>[​IMG] </TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>1/16" STEP ROLL</TD><TD align=middle>1/8" STEP ROLL</TD><TD align=middle>3/16" STEP ROLL</TD><TD align=middle>1/4" STEP ROLL</TD><TD align=middle>45 STEP ROLL</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>$55</TD><TD align=middle>$55</TD><TD align=middle>$55</TD><TD align=middle>$55</TD><TD align=middle>$55</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=700 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><CENTER><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>[​IMG] </TD><TD align=middle>[​IMG] </TD><TD align=middle>[​IMG] </TD><TD align=middle>[​IMG] </TD><TD align=middle>[​IMG] </TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>FULL RADIUS
    TANK ROLL

</TD><TD align=middle>TANK ROLL</TD><TD align=middle>BODY LINE</TD><TD align=middle>ROTARY SHEAR</TD><TD align=middle>BLANK SET</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>$55</TD><TD align=middle>$55</TD><TD align=middle>$55</TD><TD align=middle>$80</TD><TD align=middle>$25</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>
    [​IMG]

<CENTER></CENTER>
    <CENTER></CENTER>

</TD><TD vAlign=top width=177><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY></TBODY><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

<CENTER><TABLE width=600 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>[​IMG] </TD><TD>[​IMG] </TD><TD vAlign=top>
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT]PITTSBURG LIP![/FONT] ​

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT]This roll set makes a precise 3/16" lip at 90 degrees that will slip inside a Pittsburg seam. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT](Perfect for wheel tubs)[/FONT]​

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>

15. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I get it on the HF. I need/want to make a few beads on my firewall and floor to finnish up my sedan. Some have said the Irvan looks week... Any other thoughts?

Richard D: I read your post about your bead roller... Real nice job you boys did...

16. Nothing to it, we just followed the directions. I think the kit was $399 with a choice of one die set.

17. john walker

john walker

20/24ga is pretty wimpy for car use, other that inner door panels perhaps.

18. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I was able to get a great deal on the Irvan-Smith roller and the shinker /stretcher.

RichardD: When do you need to use the HEM roll? My new roller came with the 4 parts.
    Thanks for the input guys!!! I have some playing to do....

19. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

that is good equipment