Register now to get rid of these ads!

Be thankful for your dads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRod60F100, Feb 14, 2006.

1. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

I found out today my dad has inoperable cancer in his brain.he has months to live and while he never really dug my obsession with hot rods and cars,he taught me lots in life and all I ask is,those who still have your dads,be thankful and besides your dad love your whole Family and learn to forgive and forget as obviously were not promised tomorrow.

2. marv1

marv1
    from St. Louis

3. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I would be lost without mine. Spend as time as you can with him. :(

4. flamedolds

flamedolds

I feel for you man not only is my dad one of best friends but my mentor and probably the reason I love the stuff I do. Spend every minute you can with him.

5. sgtmcd42

sgtmcd42

I am truly sorry to hear that. treasure this time you have.

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Sorry to hear that man. :(

My dad is getting "old" for my family; at 52, he has already outlived his dad and grandfather by 5 years. So I do hang out with him as much as I can.

7. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

My condolences, man. Treasure the time you have with him.

My old man took me to the drag strip when I was three. I remember his huge hands covering my ears (and most of my head) while his brother’s alcohol rail staged. The first pass scared the living HELL out of me, and I couldn’t wait for them to line up again. Never looked back since.

Thanks, Dad.

8. Rusty

Rusty

Man, I hate to hear that. I pray the best for you and your family. I missed a few years rodeoing away from my pops and I cherish every minute i get to speend with him. The Dirty's are the Dirty's because of him

9. Harms Way

Harms Way

I am so sorry to hear that, I lost my Dad 15 years ago this spring, it is something you finally accept to but never really get use to,.... just tell him all the things you ever wanted to, but felt they were to mushy. hug him and tell him you love him. these will be golden nuggets in your memory as time goes on. I truly feel for you and your family,.... and you'll be in my prayers. " The moment at hand is the only thing we really own ", what will you do with the moment ?

10. JimSibley

JimSibley

I feel for you. My ol man was gunned down in an attempt to rob his shop a few years ago. I would give all of the old tin on earth to spend 5 minutes with him . Hug your dad and love him in the little time you have left.

11. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

i know this may start something,but i think it needs to be said.

i know that in times like yours it's hard to understand why this had to happen to such a great man.i have faith in our God,Jesus Christ,to get me through my hard times.Jesus came and died for mine and your sins.he is waiting for us to call on him.it's easy,just ask Jesus for forgiveness and ask him to come into your life and be the God of your life.

prayer really works.pray for your dad every day,ask friends to pray,call on a church to pray.just have faith that he will be healed.

i just want you to know that i'll be praying for him too.

let me know if i can help.

-danny

12. Harms Way

Harms Way

Amen Bro !
    Were on the same page Danny

13. JimSibley

JimSibley

I GOT AN AMEN FOR THAT ONE AS WELL!!!!!

14. JasonK

JasonK

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Cherish every day.

15. Lost my Dad Sept 04... I was devastated, and 6000 miles from him when it happened.

Make the most of the time you have, treasure each day.

16. noboD

noboD

Take every advantage of the time you have. My father died without warning long before I ever took the time to thank him for everything he did for me. I was sure I'd have time someday. Your day is here, enjoy the time you have with him.

17. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Missouri

Sorry to hear about your dad. :(
    Mine is my best friend and I love just to sit in the garage and hear his stories or just to have him teach me some new hot rod stuff. Like you said cherish every day.
    Your dad is in my thoughts.

18. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well said Pro. My dad died in 67. We were never real close. but I sure would like to see him. Sorry for the pain.

19. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

so sorry to hear that, hang in there. Our dad lost his to cancer as well, and the way he talks about his dad is the same we feel about him, but I've never really told him that. Wish that I'd met my grandpa.....

I know what you're going through right now, one of my uncle's is hanging on in his cancer battle. They told him 4 weeks to live, but that was back in May, so you just never know. :(

20. 55olds88

55olds88

Make the most of everyday, my dad was a vintage (Steam) train guy, left a great legacy in a very cool steam railway down here still run as it was started for love not money by a bunch of dedicated folks who give their spare time.
    I always appreciated Dad and his hobby but never really felt the return from him on my rubber tyred passion, at his funeral one of his workmates was all hey your the son with the old cars etc..... seems dad talked about it just not too me :)

21. My best thought's to you and your Dad .......it has to be a very tough time for you but at least you have the time to say good bye and most importantly the time to say, "thanks Dad ......I love you."
    Here's hoping the mind is stronger then the body and you both get lot's of time together!! Amen to all Dad's!!

22. guiseart

guiseart

Wishing well to you and your family...
    One of my favorite quotes...

"When I was sixteen I thought my father was the dumbest man alive, when I turned twentyone, I was surprised to see how much the old man had learned in five years."
    -- Mark Twain

23. RodLand

RodLand

My prayers are for you and your Dad.

24. Gas Stove-bolt

Gas Stove-bolt

I lost my dad a year ago to cancer. Take the time with him and make it special. Our prayers go out to your family.
    Mick

25. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Very well said fellas.

My condolances to you man.

Eric

26. dmarv

dmarv
    Alliance Vendor
    from Exeter, CA

I lost my Dad to cancer 10 years ago this August. He was 53 I was 25. We were at the point in our relationship of being more like buddies than Father and Son. I miss him everyday! I use to talk to him about stupid automotive questions all the time (kinda of like the ones I ask here). He always had the answer. The day before he passed away, I had the opportunity to thank him for everything he did for me. Putting me through college, helping me buy my first business, not telling my Mom about all the things he caught me at, etc. I know this sounds crazy, when things in my life are at the point I wish I could talk to my father, I always have dreams that my Dad and I are together again kicking back having a conversation. He answers my questions like he was still here. I know in my dreams he has to leave, but I really don't want to wake up. Life is fragile, embrace the ones you love and let them know your feelings. My thoughts and prays are with you and your family.

27. Lots of good advise here that I can't top. Lost my dad four years ago and my mom is moving out of the house she's lived in for 56 years. Cleaning out my dad's stuff brings back memory after memory and question after question. They say you never know a person till you walk in his shoes. Well wait till you clean out his cellar and garage.

He's your link to your past. Take the time to go thru his photo albums and take notes. When your folks are gone, so is that link to your history.

Dennis

28. 27Oakland

27Oakland

Reading this is choking me up! My thoughts and prayers are with you. I lost my father 3 years ago rather unexpectedly. Inherited his car and I'm redoing it in his honor. Nothing in your life prepares you for this and I don't think you ever really accept it. Spend as much time with the ol man as possible. Peace

29. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Thanx so much guys,the Hambs the greatest as were not only into Hot Rods and customs,were all brothers(And Sisters) we stick together .again thank you all.

30. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Lost my dad january 18th.. I think of him every day and his bull shit one liners :) Ya its tough. Hang in there .......
    Dave