Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Be nice to old guys, it might pay off...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomb, Mar 2, 2011.

1. CLM

CLM

Was told once to be a sponge and just soak in everything you can. A lot of people think I am quiet, just prefer to listen and learn.
    Have always been very respectful and prefer to hang out with the old guys vs the ones my age. Usually don't see eye to eye with people my age. My wife and I say we are old souls that were born about 50 years too late.

2. When I sit around with most people my age we end up talking about work, domestic issues, our 401k's, which flat screen TV's to buy, ipods and other electronic gizmos, did I watch the game last night (no), etc.

I'd rather go to yblock292's house, listen to the old guys tell stories, drink beer, and weld stuff badly. :p

3. fbama73

fbama73

With some of the people I know, it's more like a HUGE library burning down.

It's great if they share tools and parts with you, but if they start sharing their KNOWLEDGE with you, it's an epic win.

4. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of good advice/comments here--I'm kind of an old guy (68) but still build cars,etc.--have accumulated a lot of stuff over the years. Some of the younger guys stop by from time to time--some are quite respectful and others are jerks--but that is in all age groups. I give away parts to guys that can use them if I no longer need them--why not?? better than throwing in the trash or having them go to the dump when I check out.

5. Abomb

Abomb

Well, I'm glad this thread took off, and I have to admit to being old enough to be the "old guy" to people with driver's licenses, but young enough that the people I prefer to hang out with think I'm a kid....The knowledge and stories are definately the best part of the bargain, as you can't learn most of this stuff from books. It's the sort of thing that's best passed on from generation to generation by PEOPLE....so people of different generations must interact. If you aren't lucky enough to have a "car guy" in your family, search one out.

6. nwmud

nwmud
    from Everett WA

This has been a great thread. I grew up with an old cranky man (my grand father). He owned a wrecking yard and I learned much from him. I worked there every day after school and weekends till he retired when I was 16. now I am 49, and the old man. I always try to share experince and knowledge with others (old and young). But like several guys have said, it is all about how you act.
    If you rude and impatient - No soup for you. If your respectful, broke or not you may find a windfall of knowledge and maybe something else you need. You never know whats in the garage.

I am sure I parked something in there :confused:

Ritch

7. helped out an older hot rod friend out on his new truck,told him he didnt owe me nothing,prettysoon we were loading up my truck with a bunch of old parts including a banjo rear and complete front axle with wish bone.thanks paw paw

8. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Same here and shit they are usually the ones with all the good info. They have been there and done that. I'm a poser compared to them and I'm fine with that:)

9. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

Well, I'm one of the young guys on here (42 yrs old) and I'm from the south in Kentucky. My great grandmother would hit me with her Bible if I acted the way some of the yonger guys on here act. I am an Emergency Room Nurse in one of the busiest emergency departments in the entire country and I have met some of the most awesome people ever in my job. I am very much a faith based God fearin Bible readin southerner and i know that Paul in the Bible teaches us to respect and listen to our elders. I have to say that my most favorite people to talk to are the older white men that served our country and the old black women because both of them went through more crap and lived in times that my generation couldn't even begin to fathom. I've never been given more than a pie or brownies or cookies....but I'm not nice to people for that reason...that's the modern generations problem...they all think that they are "entitled to something" be it material or knowledge. My grandfather was an awsome fisherman and he would give me ten kinds of crap every time the boat was floating. I MISS THAT MAN SO MUCH!!!!!!! My father was a very hard man (mellowed out in his older years now) and would catch me on the way out of the house to go and play and holler, "boy, go get me that 9/16 open ended wrench and come fix these brakes". Well....me being a boy that didn't listen too well, I would get the 1/2 inch box end wrench and he would throw it at me and say a few things. After he calmed down, he explain to me the difference and show me what I would grow to love. I know this is a very long post, but just to make sure that the elders on here have nothing but my utmost respect and the knowledge that I can get from you is plenty enough...God bless all of you.

10. Dads-53

Dads-53

About 2 hours ago I replaced the door hinge pins and bushings for an old boy (82) on his Lincoln, took a couple hours and when done he ask "how much?" I told him a cup of coffee at a cafe we both get free coffee anyway. And then he told me he had to have a test next week and see how bad his cancer was, I didn't even know. I hate that disease.
    Don

11. toolman1967

toolman1967

Amen!, My wife and I are always wondering why we spend time with people 10-30 yrs older than we are (44), its amazing what skills and insight older guys can pass on.

12. Smokey2

Smokey2

G O O D D E E D " Chris" ........What goes 'round, Comes Around!

I've ben doing that fer yrs! use to put my "Bibbs" On, get in MY '34 Coupe'.......An head for tha' COUNTRY..........Amazing!, how much STUFF I got........By just bein' DECENT. Met alot of Super Individuals! I luv "INDIVIDUALS"........
    An for 3wLarry.............Oh, WELL!

Smoke, in tha Smokies.........Have a BETTER DAY, Tomorrow!

13. toolman1967

toolman1967

Great posts guys. Respect is what makes this country great. Honor and respect the ones that came before us and maybe we can learn something by listening instead of having to make a boneheaded mistake that one of the old-timers learned 50yrs ago.

14. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

There was a gentleman that I went to when I first got in to hot rodding, I knew that he had built about 5 rods. I didn't weld, so I asked him if he would be willing to weld a Must. ll front end under my 39 chevy. He agreed and we became great friends over the years. He never gave me anything but his friendship, and knowledge, but they were priceless. He became like a Dad to me. He is gone now, and I miss him dearly.

15. I like this idea....someone to take you under their wing and show you the ropes. Like the big brothers program haha. Anyone in West Texas wanna mentor a young rodder?

16. 37gmc

37gmc
    from upstate ny

many years ago an "older fella " told me son my dads been dead 25 years and he is still getting smarter never forgot that advice

17. 100% true, I went with my grandfather to visit one of his friends and while we were waiting for him outside I glanced behind his house and saw the back of a '34 truck. I asked him about it and he told me if I could get it out without ripping his grass up, I could have it! Needless to say I'm "young" and probably wouldn't have a project without him. GOD BLESS THE OLD TIMERS!:D