Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Be nice to old guys, it might pay off...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomb, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Fiatdude

Fiatdude
    from SoCal

Pleasssssse enjoy every second with your Dad -- Mine died way to early and I still miss him

2. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

If there are any older hot rodders around my area that wouldn't mind me lookin' over their shoulder, I would be truly grateful!! I'm not looking for anything other than the knowledge and wisdom that comes from years of experience. Acutally, I am looking to give something. Lunch anyone??

3. Fred Kuhn

Fred Kuhn
    from So. Nevada

I spend alot of time with him He has his first date since my mom passesd I think that is pretty cool he some one to talk with sometime and maybe he will get laid in that big back seat of that bitchen 57 chevy of his!!!!

4. fatkoop

fatkoop

A small group of us "kinda senior rodders" meet every Saturday morn. for breakfast and bullshit. There is over 250 years of knowledge amongst us about everything from hot rods to hot broads. Anyone's always welcome if you care to come to Denver.

5. bmxarmy

bmxarmy

I go to "hot rod breakfast" every Saturday I can, and love the stories the ol timers tell more than the breakfast! I havent got anything from any of them and I dont care if I do! In my eyes......time with any of them is an honor on its own! What we dream of and what they "did" are 2 different things!!

6. Abomb

Abomb

Just in case there's any misconceptions, I didn't want any freebies, ask for any freebies, or anything like that....I'm just saying that doing the right thing may pay off with unexpected benefits. These older gentlemen come from an era that was different, respect for your elders was expected, and they had it. Unfortunatley today, it has become all too rare.

7. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I bought my '39, and '41 Ford pickups from an old bodyman that is clearing out his shop of 40 years. The stuff inside is no where near as valuable as the stuff he tells me when we sit and have lunch. One thing to add... Pay it forward.

8. Tman

Tman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Will do, things have changed tho. Cherish those thoughts

9. Abomb

Abomb

Uh oh....

10. Abomb

Abomb

I will, I just need a willing participant. Thing is though, they will need the drive and gumption to seek me out...I tend to leave my garage door up when I'm working in decent weather, and work in the driveway at times, if an interested young person wants to learn, I'm open to pass along what knowledge I can.....

11. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

yep, this is true. the crotchety old man i go hand out with wanted to throw me off his property at first site i think, (sideburns as big as beaver pelts, shaved head and heavily tattooed) but i quickly won him over by being extremely polite and respectful. now i'm one of the few people he does let in his garages, and i know for a fact that i'm the only one besides his close old-timer buddies that he let's see his really nice stuff. hell, he's even selling me one of them, which i've been told by more than one person around town that's tried to do the same, probably people with a lot more money than me, is a near impossible thing.

i've had several people tell me "holy shit you mean that old dude with all the model a's?? he's nuts! he told me to get the hell off his property one day-i had cash in my pocket!!!"

no dude, he's not nuts. you just don't know how to act.

be surprised how far "yes sir" and "mr." will get you.

in reality, the best part about the whole experience has been just talking to him and soaking up knowledge. he's forgotten more things about model a's than i'll probably ever know, and it's cool just to sit back and listen.

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, older guys sometimes get generous if they think the younger are sincere.
    I'd like some of this to roll down to me. (I've been respectful, generous to a fault, even done repairs to help an older gent. I wouldn't shun an offer of some parts or something...
    I'm still only 68.) LOL

13. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good thread!----Good comments!---Proves there are still good mannered young guys out there---& respectful too!--------Don (Korean vet at 78).

14. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

I remember the first time I met the guy who lives down the street from me. I had been out driving my WWII Jeep (which I just sold to fund my Model A project) and this gray pickup pulls into my driveway. He and his wife get out of the truck and ask if that (parked in the driveway) was my Jeep. I was grilling with a few friends and I said, "Yes sir, that is mine!" His wife had seen me driving around and brought him down to talk Jeeps with me.

Anyway, fast forward, I've sold my Jeep and he's buying an extra motor from me...I'm still in college and have plenty to learn! I am looking forward to this Model A project. I have a flathead 47 Merc and a few ideas. The tech college down the street from me offers welding classes which I might take. Also some body classes, who knows!

Us younger guys do appreciate the seasoned rodder's experience. Without guys you willing to share with guys like me, there wouldn't be much of a chance for us.

Thank you.

15. skoh73

skoh73

Being respectful to your elders is just something I was taught while growing up. I got my first old car three years ago and without the knowledge of older fellas around town, I would be S.O.L. I have always loved the stories- they are priceless.

That quote about a small library burning is the absolute truth. Listen to folks and all of the knowledge that they have accrued over the years they have been around and LEARN from them!

16. Muttley

Muttley

I've had many Hot Rod related things given to me and have given my share of thimgs as well. As good as it feels to get something for free it feels twice as good to help another Hot Rodders out with something they need.

17. voodoo1

voodoo1

i've been giving stuff away for years and i'm in my 40's. Block here, set of heads there, maybe some tools. Its the guys that don't beg, and might not have the money right now but they can pay it forward sometime. I've been given many things through my life, so why not!

Mike

18. 35 years ago some guy named Dean taught me how to hammer weld and shrink by making me hold the torch....to this day i have no idea how to explain
    how...i do know it helps to wear a fishing hat...and tipping your head at an odd angle is part of it:eek:

19. striper

striper

I had a similar thing happen. I put a WTB ad in a local hot rod magazine for a '48 wishbone for my hot rod. I'd just started collecting stuff and I liked the look of the bones with the step. I get a call from a guy who says you had better come and see me. I asked him what he had and he wouldn't tell me, just that it was stuff I would need. Wouldn't say how much he wanted either. It was a 2 1/2 hr drive on a gamble. Well when I got there I wish he had mentioned to bring a trailer. The stuff wasn't free but I got the axles, brakes, steering, spindles, wheels and 2 tyres that are currently on my hot rod...plus a pile of extra stuff. Of course that was on my second trip with the trailer.

20. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

This thread put a smile on my face when I read it this morning. I"m 68, raised by a southern Baptist dad from TN who taught us "yes sir" and "yes ma'am" which is still automatic with me. It is nice to see civility and and respect for older folks is alive, at least with the hot rod segement of the population. Sometimes older guys feel isolated due to their circumstances in life and a conversation or interaction makes all the difference. And always try to pay it back is a great way to live. Last year a younger guy in our club got an amazing bargain at a gas station on a pair of steel bubble skirts for a '49-'51 Ford. He offered them to me at great price for my newly acquired '50 when he heard I was looking for skirts. Later that month, I found a service station South Wind Heater repair cabinet, complete with Stewart Warner lettering and promptly gave it to the young guy for the garage he was building. Just wanted to say thanks. Takes very little these days to put a smile on my face, most times just a good conversation.

21. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I'm 45, and have gotten both ends of this deal. I've been the "old guy" already to someone else, and I've been the "young guy" even more frequently. Both feel great when you learn and teach, listen and speak. Sharing back and forth is the best part of this hobby I think.

22. rustyrods

rustyrods
    from Dixon,Il.

Remember that old guy was at the top of the heap at one time . Great story. I often wonder what I will do with the stuff I have someday.

23. big bad john

big bad john

.......Great thread.....shows that young hotrodders have respect for older people

24. yblock292

yblock292

I just really enjoy helping out the younger guys. Couple of months ago young man calls building a shop truck , said a friend of his gave him my number needing a model a front axle. Said sure i've got one. How much you want for it? Told him i want him to come get it! Free, then just last week i see on here a young man from wichita needing front seat springs for his shoebox project, i just happened to have 2 sets. Same story, come get them, he and couple of his buddies show up super nice guys and really appriciated the free springs! Just kinda makes you feel good.

25. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

this is true with life and relationships in general but especially true when we get older and realize that we can't take it with us. i'll give my things away to an appreciative young guy when the time is right.

26. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Some the youngsters I know are mid sixtys to seventys and are still building cars I love it when they come by the shop and say they taught me right ! Some of them I have not seen in years but this 3 window I am building has brought them out and we have had some good laughs this is the riches of a lifetime. They make it so much fun to build cars my friends no matter their age. I hope always to be there to help them.

27. bigviking0001

bigviking0001

My dad was a Marine Corp drill instructor and you bet we learned to respect everyone. His dad was a line worker for AMC (some of you remember) for 43 years before retirement. One day Grampa says he wants to give me something. It was a picture of him in 1927 standing in front of his 1923 Ford. Looked normal and all. Then he pointed out to me that the thing had pinstripse that he did, two carbs, knock off wheels and racing tires he bought directly from Barney Oldfield and it would do 65 MPH in 1927. It was a hot rodder circa 1927! Just too special. Sadley, Matt died soon after that. It was then I discovered in the garage out behind his Milwaukee jome a 1974 AMC Javelin AMX. Black and Gold. Had 2013 miles on it. It was perfect. My dad sold the car to a local collector as I was still in college. Thanks for the memories....

28. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams

all said is very true. i met a fellow who had worked with my uncle in the 50s. when i was in high school. he was in his late 70s and still doing alot of work. he learned to be a mechanic when his father bought a car and thought it was too expensive to have repaired. he said he learned to do it himself and later worked as a mechanic and owned a small garage. he had a a large place with about 100+ cars, trucks, busses and tractors most late 30s-early 70s. he also had a small machine shop a welder and even a small foundry. He could build parts from scratch if he had to. That place was like a small museum. he was known to be the smartest man mechanically in our community. He was a very nice fellow. and i learned a little form him, (should have learned alot more). he had plenty of advice and stories and would sell parts very cheap or sometimes just give them away. he would say someone gave it to him so he had nothing in it. i would visit him a few times a year sometimes just to talk. he was still working part time at 86. he later went to a retirement home and died in 05 at 91 or 92. like someone said it is like a little library burning when a guy like this passes away.

29. toolman1967

toolman1967

My son just turned 17 and is always respectful and helpful. (I beat him regularly to keep him that way LOL) And he is always amazed when older guys GIVE him things. He has a great start on his first rod with mostly given parts. What wasnt given (Motor, trans, wheels, frame ) he bought from an older neighbor for next to nothing. He was even given his job by an older guy just because he was the only person the guy could find to do it. This guy was trying to give someone a job and none of the local kids would do it. Something wrong with that!

30. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Truer words were never spoken a bomb, most of the young ones know every thing and they still live at home at 30!!!!!! and I just can not deal with that attitude, I forgot more that most of em will ever know ......dont get me wrong there are a few REALLY cool ones......just my take if I was the pricks some of these guys are, I would have learn,d nothing................just shut that pie hole ...and open those ears!!!!