Register now to get rid of these ads!

be careful in ofallon, mo! city towing unregistered vehicles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41chevytruckinga, Apr 23, 2011.

1. 41chevytruckinga

41chevytruckinga

2. Sounds like a government official and a towing company owner working together and splitting the profits of the towing.

3. hartmen

hartmen
    BANNED

i be damned the day someone takes my car! an offical or not. there would be suit filed asap. bastards!

4. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Amazing.
    I've got a paid-off 2001 truck I've been saving for when my son turns 16... who the hell are they to tell me I can't keep something that's mine, and give it to my son when he turns 16. Why should I have to keep it registered, tagged and insured for a few years when I don't drive it? (here in Georgia it's no insurance/no tag)

-Brad

5. brad chevy

brad chevy

Yeah,the ass-clown gov. in the county I live in says you can"t have a vehicle in your yard unless its registered,insured and tagged.But you can pay them $100 a year for a restoration project. Its all about the $$$$$.

6. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

They tried this in northern California, it turn out the politician who passed the ordanince , was the owner of the tow trucks and storage yards, I talked to sema, check the state law, a city or state ordanince can not override the state law. make shure the vehical is not touching the side walk, the minute a tire touches a public sidewalk or street, fee's are due. City's and countys are broke , and are looking for ways to generate income, the Traditional Car Club Association is trying to find a solution to these and other problems, it's up to all of us to organize and inform our city and state goverments , when we feel they are being unfair aboat their policys.

7. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Thwey are also a notorious speed trap. the like to sit on the overpass with a radar gun and have a fleet of copcars a mile down the road to harvest the money. I've heard of folks getting done for 65 in a 60 there.

8. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Here in California, you can get a non-op permit but the vehicle can't be on a public street. It also makes it easier to sell the car and the buyer doesn't pay back registration.

9. mike budniewski

mike budniewski

first off i am 61 years old and too old to have hand to hand combat with anyone that comes in my yard. but you can be sure the coroner will be on the scene. mike

10. screwball

screwball

What we need is this to happen to some one who could afford to fight this stuff in court.

11. Riva B.

Riva B.

I am not allowed to keep the 53 chevy here and it IS registered and insured but I'm still working on it. I had to store the good one and build a makeshift "disguise" to make the donor '53 look like a boat under a tarp.. so I guess they have no problem with boats around here, just old cars.

12. City of Los Angeles, Glendale, Burbank and several others, can and will cite/tow your vehicke from private property. non-op or not. The non-op only covers future registration penalties. On top of that, Code enforcement will cite you for non running/ non regestered vehicles that are on private non-commercial/improperly zoned land.
    A few years back, The city of Los Angeles cited me for a non-op'd vehicle in my driveway. The car was complete and running with nice paint. The D.A. was asking for jail time because I took a stand. I ended up paying a rather large fine. If I failed to pay. They would have placed a lein on my property. You can fight city hall.. But even if you win, You lose.

13. Wow that sucks! All the more reason I need to get out of city limits again!

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They have a vague law concerning junk/unlicensed vehicles here in the town I live by but the only cars I ever saw towed were a couple of collector type cars that were sitting in peoples driveways with expired tags. The real junk didn't get towed. It seems that some city official in the area was in cahoots with a tow truck operator that drove an unmarked tow truck. They made the mistake of towing a friend of mine's 56 Chev that ran and drove but wasn't tagged and had to deal with his dad who has more than a little political sway in this area. The car was sitting back in the same spot in his driveway a few hours later and I haven't heard about any decent cars being bothered since.
    I used to live in McGregor Tx and there was a group of old biddies in town who would drive around town after dinner in one of them's new Caddy Deville and write notes on things in town that they thought needed to be brought to the attention of the city manager. I got a notice about a 34 Olds I had in the yard but as I had brand new plates in the house for it because I had bought it from my boss's son and it had been run though the car lot at the time. He says hang the plate on it and no problem.

Luckily I live two miles out of town and 400 ft off the road and on an indian reservation now so I don't get bothered but there will always be the chance some busy body living down at the golf course doesn't like the look of the vehicles sitting in my yard when they drive by and starts complaining.

I found out years ago though that a guy can do a few things to help his own cause just by applying a bit of effort.
    Even if the car doesn't have an engine in it, keep it washed and clean and don't store stuff in the back seat.
    Move it every time you mow if it sits on grass so that it doesn't have grass or weeds growing up around it.
    Move it around the yard or driveway every so often even if you have to push it in the back yard for a couple of days and then push it back later.
    Turn it around so it faces in the other direction every so often.
    The idea is that even if it doesn't get driven, to the casual passer by who goes by it doesn't always look like it just sits in one spot all the time.

15. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

I would love to see a tow truck back in my drive and hook one of my cars. They will be looking at a loaded AK-47 and 2 not so nice dogs!