Register now to get rid of these ads!

BC/CC paint question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Turbo26T, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Here's my dilemma:
    Had my Track T project painted with a Basecoat/clearcoat metallic silver . It's all buffed out and very slick...but...There's very noticable "tiger stripes" in the base coat..Now I'm faced with having to have another shop re-do the paint...How far down do I have to go to prep the car for total repaint? Do I have to sand off the clear or go all the way back to primer?? I guess my question is, Can you shoot basecoat over clear coat..

Any Info appreciated
    Stan

BTW: The guy that did it now has major health issues and has closed his shop..he did not charge me any labor and reimbursed me for all the materials I supplied

2. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Sand it with 500 wet and repaint it, do not sand any farther than just a scuff. Silvers can be a bitch, but if a shop did it complain, they need to learn how to lay down the base and fog it in to get all the little mica to lay the same way, this is a basic for painting. Not all colors are solid, but it sure would be nice. At least it's not a 55 Caddy! Happy sanding!

3. 8flat

8flat

Just like 34toddster said. Also, be careful to not sand through the clear-coat and expose the base below it, you have a greater risk of a reaction at the edges of that break-through point. Some paint mfgrs have no issues shooting base right over clear, but others do.

4. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

just let the next shop sand it!!!if they go too far and they have a reaction they will be responsable.how long has it been since it was painted?did they bake it?whoever repaints it will surly scotch bright it wipe it down with wax/grease remover the paint it.just like 34toddster said silver can be a bitch{actually any metallic paint can}my first viperblue paint job looked awsone in the sun but in the late afternoon you could see alittle tigerstrips buy the lower quarter.but it wasnt bad enough for me to redo the hole car so i just left it.

5. I just spent the last hour going over the body and the clearcoat seems to be done very well...the only issue is with the "stripes" in the base coat...I'll check with the mfg. about recoating base over their clear...
    Also,just talked to another painter and he said to bring it to him as-is. He wants to prep it himself. He's also gonna do the body,hood,rad.shell,all at the same time...
    So, I appreciate all the replies & advice
    Thanks,
    Stan