Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods bbc timing chain cover

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cktasto, Jan 11, 2016.

1. cktasto

cktasto

yesterday I cleaned up an old timing chain cover, put in a new seal and went up to my buddies shop to install. when I got up to the shop I realized the block has dowels for aligning the cover but the cover I have doesnt have the holes for the dowels. I guess the cover is for an older model bbc (mine is a MK IV). Is it OK to remove the dowels and use the cover I have or do I need to get a new timing chain cover? not a real expensive item....I just spent maybe 2 hours cleaning up the one I have and would like to use it if it's not an issue.

thanks

charlie

2. squirrel

squirrel

you can do that if you want. Aligning the seal may be an issue, or it may not. You might install the cover, then the damper, then tighten the cover bolts?

3. Does your gasket have the holes for the dowels, just in case a guy would want to drill those holes.

4. cktasto

cktasto

Thanks for the replys guys. Good point about the gasket having dowels holes.
    I think i'll just spend the 20 bucks and get one from summit..hopefully it'll be be drilled out for the dowels