Register now to get rid of these ads!

BBC in Tri-5 Chevy...who's done it????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat Hack, Apr 9, 2009.

1. RacerRick

RacerRick

I am doing a snotty 406 in my 57'. I had a friend make custom mounts for the engine and trans using 75' Corvette engine mounts.

I am going to be running a ST10 so I used a stock Z bar to position the engine (my car is a factory stick car so it has the zbar mount on the frame already). I am running a stock dual point tach drive distributor with a pertronics and some cerarmic coated headers. Everything fits with no dings. My rad is in the 6cyl position.

If you are going to be running a stick with a stock clutch linkage, be careful of the mounts that move the engine forward for HEI clearance. Otherwise you will have to figure out the clutching linkage.

2. The Big Block Patriots are NOT a 3/4 length. Here is a picture of them. H8023
    [​IMG]
    And these are the Doug's Headers D354
    [​IMG]

3. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Thanks for the pics Don! I kinda like the Doug's headers after seeing them both side-by-side!

4. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

I just put this 396 with a P600 Pro Charger in my 55 chev. Now looking for headers that I can bolt in... I'd like to know what you choose for headers for your project
    [​IMG]

5. chevy.belair-57

chevy.belair-57
    from Sweden

Hi
    Iam new here writing from Sweden.
    This thred is what I am looking for. My car is a 1957 Bel Air 2 door HT.
    I am converting to a BBC but it is har to find suitable headers here in Sweden BUT I can find Chevelle headers and I am prepared to do some work on them.
    Earlier in this thred someone wrote about Chevelle header but for what year? 64-67 or newer?

/Hans-Olof

6. Heres a few picts - gotta love them big blocks!

Attached Files:

7. dublaaron

dublaaron
    from michgan

I built a custom fire wall on a nomadwagon with a 502 ramjet. Fit just fine on a morison chasis.. but people don't apreaciat that kinda thing cuz any body can do it rite!

8. lorodz

lorodz

ive put the 454 into my car ..1956 chevy 210 post
    motor 73 454
    trans muncie 4 speed
    motor mount speed way big block front motor plate/ with the lower style mounts to mount that to.moved the motor fowward about 1 3/4 without welding /without smasking the firewall in
    used the moroso 7 quart oil pan and pick up so it would clear the steering linkage
    headers were old used big block headers i had to modify the driver side to clear the steering box and the passenger side to clear the steering stabilizer bar on the pass side ..other than that everything i got worked out great

if you are looking for headers that will clear the steering box heres the model numbers and name that will clear without modifying them
    of course any fenderwell header will fit without a problem than there is
    hedman model #68256 also
    http://www.southernrods.com/categori...oduct-797.html these are supposed to fit perfectly i personaly dont know ..good luck

9. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I did mine back in 1971 with a Hurst motor mount set-up, you will need an electric fuel pump (mounted in the back)cuz the mounting plate will hit the stock FP if you use the one mounted on the pass side of the motor. Put a switch for the FP under the dash and it made a great theft deterent. Would run out of gas in about three blocks. Made a x-member for the 400TH, had a GTO console with Hurst dual gate shifter(good luck finding one of those now a days), had a drive shaft made for it for use with the 400TH and stock rearend. Customized;) the firewall with a large ball peen to allow for the distributor. Started out with a set of Applicance Headers, don't know if the make them anymore but that's OK cuz they didn't fit anyway...ordered a set of Hedmans and they fit perfect. Oil pan was stock and had no problems with it. Good luck man, there a blast. I drove mine all over the place and raced it at the strip many times. The bbc was a 396 with a Holley spread bore. Got good mileage idling around and really kicked when your stompt on it. Now my blood pressure is really up just thinking about it. Later, Aman.

10. lorodz

lorodz

ive done it i used speedway front motor mount plate used the front motor mounts and the rubber buching kit ...made a cross member from square stock and used some heddman headers from summit it all worked perfectly till i spun a main bearing so now im using a small block till the big block is fixed ,,,

oh and 1 more thing with the mounting kit i used you wont have to dent the firewall or cut into it..it will fit perfectly

11. did a 396 in a 56 in 1969 side mounts and a new 69 imp cross member for the trans

12. ripsrides

ripsrides

i did it with original front mounts on small block with aftermarket crossmember on auto tran when i pull engine and tranny out bellhousing had crack in it. I like danchunk side mounts cheap cross member from 1970-1981 camaro with 2 pieces of 4 inch angle iron bolt to crossmember then weld to frame. i removed bellhousing mounts from frame so i could run pipes even with frame old headers that run under them will drag even at stock ride height