Register now to get rid of these ads!

BB Mopar Intake to Early Olds??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Large_911, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Large_911

Large_911

I had read a thread in the Tech Archives regarding early Olds Rockets and found one line that stated that 383/440 Chrysler intakes could be adapted to fit the early Olds engines. Has anyone ever done this? It would seem that it would open up the intake selection quite a bit for the early Rockets. This is definitely intriguing and would love to get more info. Thank you.

Chris

2. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

hey LARGE911...holly crappers man. YOU JUST BLEW MY MIND! call mr POP...or the old FART!

3. I dont know about Olds but I remember Kenne Bell or someone similar using 383 mopar intakes on I believe 430 Buicks or at least that generation of Buick.
    Don

4. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Hmmm.... that's interesting.... I'd like to know more!

The Oldsmobile 6x2 intakes are much more available than the Mopar B/RB counterparts... If I can hack up an Olds intake to fit a Mopar that'd be great!

5. George

George

383 came both ways, mostly Bs. 424?

6. 73RR

73RR

1959, Chrysler and DeSoto

7. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

one of the guys on ROP was talking about doing that but forgot which one he was useing .

8. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

KB made an adapter to bolt to the Buick 400 430 or 455 and the Mopar itake was bolted to the adapter. It gave you the option of running a 6 pac set up on your Buick.

9. panic

panic

1. Bore centers:
    Olds: 4.625"
    Chrysler 4.80"
    That's almost 3/16" between every cylinder, over 1/2" front to back.

2. Olds has water in the manifold.
    Chrysler doesn't - you have to do all that stuff externally including the thermostat housing.

3. Do the manifold flanges have the same angle to the intake port? I don't know, but it's got to match pretty close. The Chrysler is 10°, the late Olds is 0°.

Read my article: http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/alternate.htm

10. Large_911

Large_911

Thank you everyone for the feedback so far.

Panic - That web-page is awesome. I'll have to read it more detail later, because I am on my way out the door. At a glance, it looks like the Pontiac intake would be a potential candidate?

11. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

THe early pontiac and Olds intakes look almost identical when laying on ground, the front bolt holes is how I tell them apart.

As far as water passage, cut the front water cross over off and bolt it seperate .The early Cragar blower intakes for Olds did not have the water crossover so I assume you had to cut off your old intake

12. Large_911

Large_911

Bump

...anyone else have any input?

13. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

The stagger of a Chry manifold side to side is way off which makes a horrible fit as well as other port alignment problems

Here is one that I build

Tony

Attached Files:

14. Really? I can find ten Mopar six-pac/six-barrel intakes for every one Olds set-up.

15. rjgideon

rjgideon

True if you want to run the very expensive Holley six-pack carbs. Offenhauser is the only one around making new Mopar 3-deuce manifolds for the Rochester or Stromberg/Holley 94 carbs. There are some vintage Edelbrock ones around for the older carbs, but they get spendy.

16. Large_911

Large_911

Tony - Looks great! Any thoughts on coming out w/ a dual plane aluminum intake?

17. Large_911

Large_911

I have an Offy 3 deuce intake new in the box that I will probably use. I am just curious what other options may be out there; I am looking to do something different.

18. Large_911

Large_911

Panic - Thanks again for your website. Do you know anything about the angle and the width of the Pontiac intakes? I am still curious if the Pontiac intake could be adapted (water cross-over removed) based on the pitch and port layout per your article. Thanks!

19. panic

panic

Sorry, I don't have any more information on this. If the angle diff is very small gasket compression may be enough, otherwise the adapter is wedge-shaped.
    "Stagger" is wide? The stagger (offset) of any V engine is almost always the width of 1 connecting rod - between .84" and 1.20". Fords have the passenger's side bank forward, everything else (TIKO) is reverse.
    Extreme bore center distance errors can be cured by really a thick adapter in which the runners are angled in or out, but the height gets out of control very quickly unless the runner angle is severe - which ruins flow. Choose a very wide manifold (probably a tall deck motor) to leave room for longer runners.

20. Large_911

Large_911

Thanks for the info.

21. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

LARGE 911...just checking in to see if your back on your MEDICATION yet. because your crazy as a loon...POP.

22. Large_911

Large_911

Haha, always thinking outside the box...

23. Large_911

Large_911