Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Battery question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tinsled, Apr 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. tinsled

tinsled

I'am looking for a 3EH-type 6V battery. The kind GM used in the 1940's and 50's.
    The problem is I am based in Finland.
    It's very hard to find that type of battery here. If you do, it costs 4x US price.
    I've noticed that NAPA and some Farm supplies sells those at affordable prices, ca. $100,
    BUT
    - they do not mail deliver?
    - are the batteries ready-to-use with the acid in? (if Yes, the over seas forwarders do not take them)
    (some stores here sell car batteries dry, thus you can safely carry them in normal freight, then fill in the acid when you take them into use)
    Any ideas?

2. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I called the local Napa and they said those come filled. I asked if it was an option to get one dry for shipping and they said no, not on that one.

3. F&J

F&J

I don't know how big a 3eh is, but Tractor Supply carries two 6 volt batteries.

The small one is a number 1 I think, and they have a big one that is maybe 13" long. I think they carry these for old tractors here in the USA, but I would think some place where you are, can get a 6v for old tractors? Old tractors are everywhere :)

4. squirrel

squirrel

5. normanpitkin

normanpitkin
    from london

I have optimas in parallel in my 48 New Yorker , they have ruined the look of the engine bay BUT have never let me down .Ugly beats walking.

6. tinsled

tinsled

Wow, a lot of answers & help - Fellows, You're great! I really like this forum.

Inked; I appreciate your help big time, You really called NAPA & asked for the dry ones - Thanks!
    I suspected the same as their web page states "only pickup at store".

F&J, You're right there are old tractors here, Heck, all kinds of old machines, but the problem is low population;
    None of those are no longer supported, I guess the market for hobby is just too small for profitable business.

Jim & Norman, I'm kind of leaning towards Optima 6V myself. I can get them here locally and almost the same price as over there. For reliability, that'll probably be the best deal by far. Ugly - Yes. I may try to hide them in a black battery looking box...?

Rick, Thanks, I'll check that source. Even if the one he offers at eBay is the typical 50'-60's VW beetle size, which is high demand in Europe, he just might have other sizes.

7. If you already have a dead battery that fits, you may be able to empty it out, cut the bottom out and remove the insides, and slip over the ugly optima battery.