Register now to get rid of these ads!

Battery Box - Exhaust Clearance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimbousman, Nov 13, 2012.

1. jimbousman

jimbousman

Setting up the battery box under the floor boards in my "A" coupe. The box will be in the stock location (18" to 24" behind the header pipe.) The exhaust pipe will run under the box. What's the minimum clearance between the exhaust and the battery?

2. jimbousman

jimbousman

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I personally don't like to run the exhaust under the battery box. Heat rises. The problem for the exhaust mechanic is that there is never any planning for the exhaust. I did a bunch of As and never had to run directly under the battery. If you do you should build a heat shield with an air gap under the battery. The shield gets the heat and the air gap lets it get carried away. It's not a problem when traveling down the road but if you get caught in traffic.....JMHO

4. pitman

pitman

5. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Good call, pitman. I used the DEI titanium wrap for this very purpose and also for starter protection. Good stuff.

6. bgaro

bgaro

i might be comfortable at 4 inches, shield or wrap sound like a good idea too.

7. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto, the heat shield, per tommy. Another thought is some insulation wrap on the exhaust, where it runs near the battery.
    Things to think about, when the exhaust runs near underfloor master cyls and / or brake lines.

4TTRUK

8. jimbousman

jimbousman

Thanks guys. Looks like I have some options. Also planning to vent the box plus add a piece of .75" bakelite in the box bottom.

9. 4tford

4tford

I used the wrap by my brake booster it works well. You can also spray lizard skin on your battery box that insulates well also.

Attached Files:

10. Correct ^^^

Heat is the enemy of a battery. I lost one this summer because of endless days of 100+ temps. Your exhaust is going to be hotter then that.

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

A simple shield spaced 3/4" below the battery box will give a lot of protection from heat, and last forever. The exhuast wrap is good, but eventually it falls apart and soaks up moisture too. It will need to be replaced occasionally.

12. 4tford

4tford

My exhaust wrap has been on 8 years and has not fallen apart yet. I agree a heat shield would be ideal but if you don't have room for an air gap it does not work effectively.