Register now to get rid of these ads!

Basic Hot Rod Wiring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AJofHollywood, Apr 13, 2010.

1. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

Wiring always frustrates me; even the simplest layout can be confusing. The easiest one to follow I've found is in Mike Bishop's book How To Build A Traditional Ford Hot Rod, page 121. The original schematic included everything I needed when I built my first roadster, with exception of an ammeter (amp meter).
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
    This wiring diagram, for the do-it-yourselfer, will get your nostalgic hot rod on the street.
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
    With thanks for notes from members of the HAMB, I have taken liberties with the Bishop/Tardel model diagram and have slightly revised it. Here are the revisions I have made:
    > I added an ammeter in series, a lot of people are confused where to wire it.
    > I upped the headlight wiring because they draw a lot of amps and 14 gauge is felt to be to small.
    > And lastly, I corrected the horn wiring. The fuse to relay to horn wires should be heavier then the switch to relay wire. He had them backwards on the original diagram.

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> [​IMG]<!--[endif]--><o>
    Drag image to Desktop to save.

</o> This was designed for 12V systems, but can be used for 6V also. If used for 6V, make all the wires heavier by 2. For example 14 gauge wire will become 12 gauge, 10 gauge will be 8 gauge, etc.
    <!--EndFragment-->

2. f1 fred

f1 fred
    from mn

thanks! I was asking for something like this in a previous post but I am running a 1 wire alternator instead of a generator.

3. This is a great diagram! Thanks to you and Mr Bishop!

And Fred, a 1 wire alternator aint traditional;):D

-Shiny

4. This is why the HAMB rules! Search and you shall receive!

Thanks Verne, Mike, and Hollywood.

Register now to get rid of these ads!