Register now to get rid of these ads!

Basic Brake Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by barobert, May 22, 2013.

1. barobert

barobert
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi,
    On the technical inspection on my wife's Edsel here in Switzerland they said I have to mount a metering Block (hope it's the right name).

On the Edsel I mounted a dual master cylinder, an now the authorities say there must be a brake light in the dash when a brake line is leaking.

The Edsel have drums in front and back.

Now my question is? Where can I buy a brake metering block with a safety switch on it (if one brake line is leaking)

Thanks for any help, i have now 30 days to fix this or I must make the hole inspection again.

Attached Files:

2. I remember this on Triumph cars back in the 70's, 2000-2500 TC models. JW

3. What does the pressure switch mounted on the inner side do? Can you tap off it?

4. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

The name of the component you are looking for is "brake differential warning valve". I can't think of anyone who sells these in a generic fashion, but they were fairly common on drum braked cars and trucks of the 60s-early 70s, these will just be the differential valve with no proportioning or metering valve. One off a 1970 Drum braked GMC is a very simple block.

[​IMG]

EDIT:They were also known, generically, as 'distribution blocks'. But the differential warning switch/valve is what the authorities seem to be interested in.

Last edited: May 22, 2013

5. barobert

barobert
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tanks, thats exakly what I need. Does anyone know where I can buy so a brake differential warning valve?

6. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Strange they want a warning light with a dual system, but none with a single? :confused: Do they know the differential pressure switches were replaced with fluid level switches in the '80s (US)?
    If they require a combo distribution/differential switch, they should know where to buy them new, as I don't recommend (and they shouldn't) using used/salvage yard brake components.
    If you have to find one, buy only new from a major supplier, or a new OE part from Ebay, etc. :)

7. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Try looking up "differential brake warning valve" for 60s-75 GM vehicles. This should net you the simple distribution block, or go to websites with vehicles that have front brakes replaced with discs. Someone may give you the block for free + shipping. Make sure to get all the fittings as well, the line size may be 3/16" but the furl nut will be some odd ball size the factory did to prevent parts confusion on the assembly line.

It would not work on a single system as two sources of pressure are needed to keep the valve balanced. Along with age those differential valves can seize up in the bore and not work.

A single reservoir does not mean a single circuit.

The later model fluid level senders are not really an indicator of brake functionality. Mostly fluid level, which when combined with proper flushing and brake pad maintenance, can help in indicating when it is time to change the shoes/pads in a car. Some newer cars do not come with the warning tangs on the pads, but rely on the light. Of course if there is an external leak the fluid will drop and the light will come on warning of a low fluid issue.

8. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Try Master Power Brakes, www.mpbrakes.com, 888-351-8781. They have the best brake related catalog there is, they can answer your question.

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

As you are in Switzerland it should be easier to get a European valve. I know Volvos in the seventies used one. Consult a local mechanic, he should be able to recommend something suitable.

10. barobert

barobert
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks to al for the informations, this really helps to find the right part.

11. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It would not work on a single system as two sources of pressure are needed to keep the valve balanced. Along with age those differential valves can seize up in the bore and not work.

I know how the differential switch operates. I simply questioned their "logic" of wanting a warning light on a safer dual system v.s. an out-dated single, and the fact fluid level warning replaced pressure loss warning, at least in the US.

A single reservoir does not mean a single circuit. [/QUOTE]

Yea, it does. That's the main function of a dual system, keeping the systems separate, and with their own fluid supply. Some later '80s-up non-metal fluid reservoirs may look like one reservoir, but are divided internally to ensure one system does not affect the other.

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He beat me to it and that is a real simple setup. It will also do exactly what the officials are asking for.

14. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The above suggested disc/drum combo valve includes fixed-value proportioning, something you don't want on a drum/drum system.

15. barobert

barobert
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On this site: http://www.camaros.org/brakevalve.shtml
    is a distribution block with a pressure warning switch, I will buy such a distribution block, have seen one at classic performance products.
    Thanks for the help

16. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Again, no it does not.
    [​IMG]

Single reservoir. Front/Rear split system. '94 Cobra Mustang.

[​IMG]

Single reservoir. Diagonally split system. '94 Honda Accord.

80's GM vehicles that have this style of MC...
    [​IMG]
    There is a baffle between front and rear, there is also a slot in the divider, this will allow fluid to pass between front and rear reservoirs. Effectively making it a single reservoir.

Split/dual system, yes. Split/divorced reservoirs, not always.

17. glorified hack

glorified hack
    from georgia

I have always gotten my brake parts from right stuff detailing. There are some pretty smart fellas working there.

http://www.getdiscbrakes.com/

18. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mike,
    Below is taken from the 2013 FMVSS D.O.T. 135 regs. The reservoirs have to be internally independent or divided by law, always. :)

5.4. Reservoirs.
    S5.4.1. Master cylinder reservoirs .
    A master cylinder shall have a reservoir compartment for each service brake subsystem serviced by the master cylinder. Loss of fluid from one compartment shall not result in a complete loss of brake fluid from another compartment.