Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Basement find ?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hrm2k, Sep 1, 2012.

1. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My garage is getting another resident. Here is the story.
    I had an uncle pass away a few months ago. sitting in his basement was his wife's ( deceased ) car. I have known it was there since the early 80's. The car stopped running in '95 and was not moved until 2010 when it had a full brake job, a new fuel system and a tune up. It was driven about 100 miles from the repair facility to the north side of Birmingham and parked again.

I got a call from the lawyer handling the estate................seems Uncle John wanted me to have this.

So here is my basement find........1964 ( HAMB friendly) Cadillac Coupe DeVille with a little over 46,000 miles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So there you are. An unmolested original car with a 429 engine. My initial reaction was to hire someone to truck it up to Maryland from Alabama.....and then I thought.........screw it....... I'm going down and drive it back.....after all, it is only 825 miles away

Just thought I would let you know

Stogy likes this.
  2. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Sorry about the loss. Way cool car. Drop her in the weeds and cruiseeee

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

3. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Your uncle knew the best man to give that Caddy to. My condolences on your loss.

4. Babyburr

Babyburr
    from Hurst, TX

BeeUuTeeeFul ! Love that car.

5. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Spend some money first, all new fluids, hoses incl flex brake lines and tires. Make it a safe ,fun, good memory trip.

6. Never2low

Never2low

Basement finds are the new barn find.:p
    Looks super clean & straight.
    Wash, drive, repeat. Congrats on the find...I mean inheritance.

7. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually....maybe not. I posted in the Alabama HAMBers group a couple of years ago asking for a little help. The plan between my uncle and I was to give the car to whom ever came forward to help an 80 year old man with some car problems..........Never heard a word from anyone.........I'm second fiddle :eek:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
    Stogy likes this.
  8. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The car went through all new brake lines and pieces; the gas tank was steamed and resealed and all new fuel lines and of course a tune up. The has traveled about 100 miles since all that was done

9. wallyringo

wallyringo

sorry about your uncle. Beautiful car and the color combo blue / black, how awesome is that.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say that second fiddle plays pretty good. I'd give that old gal a good bath and a health check and wheel her home.

11. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Those Caddy's will smoke the tire off. Your Uncle knew who would enjoy and respect his Car.

12. I would drive it after checking the fluid levels and tire pressure. Being in a temperature controlled space, everything is probably in good shape.

Have fun!

13. haychrishay

haychrishay

Sorry for the loss. but that thing is waaaaay cool !!

14. Joe King

Joe King

one of the greatest road trip cars ever

15. outlawsteel

outlawsteel

Sorry for your loss. Beautiful car, I love caddys And its right next door to me. I live 45 mins away from Bham. I didnt see the post where you was needing help. Well I dont belong to the Alabama group either lol. But I would have been glad to help for free oh well day late as they say. If you need any help or a place to stop in a check car over on your way out give me a shout. You can have full access to my shop and tools to go over car.

16. that is sweet...the car; no the situation...i am also sorry about your loss.

17. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

thank you for the offer. I appreciate it. You are correct about almost next door. He lived in Gardendale just north of B'ham.

18. Sorry about your uncle.

I'm jealous. That's a real Caddy. Fins on the rear and ducks on the crest. No ducks on the crest, I'm not interested. SWEET!

19. gsp392

gsp392

My condolences for your loss.
    What a beautiful car. If it were mine, I'd keep it as nearly original as possible, but I'm sure you'll do it justice.

20. Harms Way

Harms Way

OK I don't want to be the old wet blanket here,..... but a lot of other things can fail with a car stored that long,.... I would tow it back and drive it a lot locally to make sure you have all the potential problems figured out, before any really long trips....

But !,.. thats the older more causes me talking,..... If your dead set on driving it back, take at least minimal tools and a floor jack with you on the trip,... (Should have enough room in the trunk for all of this and a half dozen Illegal Aliens trying to find work in your state with room to spare)...

Also take a camera and take lots of pictures of the trip,... might be like a travel log you can post on the HAMB.........

21. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Sorry about your uncle.

Are you sure you don't need a cool wagon instead of that junky old Cadillac? ahemmm...

22. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

now you must get there wash the car and take lots of pictures.. I beleive the proper amount is at least 2-3 of the engine, 2-3 of the interior 5 -6 of exterior,1-2 of you the picture with car, if there is a hot girl near by the hamb demands at least 5 pics of her laying across it..and maybe 2 of some fancy angle,down the quarter, a bumper or some shiney shot.. plus at least 8 return trip pics of driving it
    Awesome car..good luck with it!

23. outlaw256

outlaw256

sorry about your loss. as outlawsteel said if you need us we are just up thew road. be glad to lend a hand or a tool.wish we had seen the thread where you were askin for help.we wouldnt have minded at all.you got yourself one hell of a car there. enjoy it!as im sure you will lol....

24. manyolcars

manyolcars

I dont see how this car fits the hamb. Its not a traditional hotrod and its not a custom

25. sorry for your loss. My pops was a Cadillac Man, I rode home in a 61 when I was born. Very Cool!!!
    Oh Yeah...
    Traditional HotRod = :cool:
    Traditional Custom = :cool:
    Cadillac = :cool:
    Need I say more?

26. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Sorry about your familys loss

Love them Long ass Caddys.. and a Two Door to boot..:cool:

27. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

hell of a way to remember family..

a good way..

a HAMB way.

28. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

that's going to be a bitch to carry up the steps. lol sorry about the loss. great score.

29. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Gorgeous car! Sorry for your loss, I hope the old gal serves you well for years to come. I have a probably dumb question, but we don't have basements like that up in the Midwest, is it a garage under the house? Or did they somehow get that in the basement?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad