Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barris Kopper Kart

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T McG, Jul 21, 2006.

1. eye bone

eye bone

You posted while I was writing mine… Thanks for sharring that info!…
    The plot thickens…

2. I just seen that ad in a mag I got at a yard sale yesterday for a dime.

3. JMaurice

JMaurice
    from Kustomland

Mick-

Great article on the Kart! Do you have any higher-res scans that you could email to me?

Here are some pics from a few years ago after I started the section and chop. I chopped it 4" and originally sectioned it 5 1/2". After sectioning that much, I added back 3/4" which seemed a much better fit. There's still a pile of work to do (it's not for the faint of heart). And for those of you wondering about the door... you can thank my unhandy brother for that superb sanding job :)

4. Whiplash

Whiplash

I was in Burbank earlier this week and just for fun I stopped by Barris' shop, They were closed to the public but they let me in for a quick unofficial tour, George does not remember alot of the cars that he has built, But his is daughter is the historian and she remembers the Kopper Kart and she would love to see it again, she said that Barris inc is trying to locate and acquire all the Barris cars that they can find. She is also very flattered that George is recognized as one of the great ones. I told her about the HAMB and I will email her a link

5. Hard to believe that Barris wouldn't remember the Kopper Kart. It was not a customer's car, but one he built for himself.

6. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

The only thing kool about that car now is the grill shell

ote =Rot 'n Kustom]Here is the final version of the Kookie Kar.[/quote]

7. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Digging up a nice old thread! I'd read this thread last night while looking up Kopper Kart photos and I realized I happened to have September 1961's issue of Custom Rodder! So I flipped through it to see the article on the Kart, and I read it and guess what? There's a mistake in it! They say it had dual carbs when you can clearly see there's still 3, the third was just partially cropped out, but you can clearly see the base! None of the 3 were running the air cleaners, though. They were probably sold by that point. Caps were different, too!

My main interest in this whole thing is that this poor awesome kustom met its end in my home town of Mansfield Ohio! I've probably driven by its finally resting place a thousand times in my childhood and never known it! Since I've learned this, I've always dreamed of making a tribute truck, if not an outright clone. Hopefully I can talk my dad into getting one and making it a father and son project! He's a wealth of knowledge! :D Just thought I'd share about the mistake in the article!

8. JMaurice

JMaurice
    from Kustomland

The Kopper Kart was cloned a few years back - a lengthy labor of love! Yes, we tracked it down to Mansfield, OH as well. I spoke with the wife of the last owner when working on the project - she indicated that the exterior upholstery and lack of indoor storage really did it in. It was scrapped by the end of the 60's.

9. So this one is not the original? You could have fooled me as it has a nice mix of older plating and new.

ImageUploadedByTJJ1349622458.193903.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1349622486.190948.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

11. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters