Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barris car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JohnJoyo, Sep 20, 2005.

1. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

Just wondering if any of you remember this car? I am told it is a Barris car from back in the day that is being restored. It was green (different green than in the pics originally) with a gold roof and scallops...and 3 holes cut in the hood for the 3 deuce set up to stick out of. Anybody know the history of it or if it is legit? I am considering picking it up...just trying to gather more info about it. It started as a 57 Chevy wagon... modified with all sorts of crazy things. The owner is going to tell me more about it in person this week. These are some progress pics that I was sent.
    Thanks in advance for any help,
    Junkie :D

Attached Files:

2. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

Looks like 57 CHEVY not Ford.Barris car?........Dont know.

3. JohnnyB327

JohnnyB327

I wished I knew more about the car.... it's really tits!

4. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

Oops, you're probably right...I don't know much about this car, just hoping someone on here does.

5. 57 Chevy for sure. 60 Chrysler taillights, too. Not in any of the Barris books that I have, but that doesn't mean anything.

6. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

The only thing I remember being told about it is it has a 60 El camino windshield upside down for the rear window? Again...I'm not sure about any of this, it's obviously VERY custom....thanks for the input.
    -Junkie

7. scottrod

scottrod

I'll buy it if you decide you don't want it! That thing looks very Barris style to me He liked to put coving and vents and stuff on the sides. Definitely a vintage 60s job. Seriously, if you pass on it, let me know.

8. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Looks more like something Bob McNulty would have built

9. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Aint no Barris car. Ask if they can produce a single shred of evidence that Barris even knew the car existed,

10. old beet

old beet

El Camino upside down????......I don't think so!!!!!.......OLDBEET

11. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

all old customs found seem to be presented as an old barris car, but as the old saying went, if you parked to long outside the barris shop you could end up with an barris chrest on the fenders hoho

12. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

i hope the interior + steeringwheel are to be put to rest in an wastedump

otherwise its a pretty decent car, have potential.. liked it from the side, didnt flow so good in the front imho, cool car nonetheless

13. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

That's why I posted it on here. The guy says "It's still got the Barris stickers on the window" -That doesn't mean much to me. He says he's got friends that remember the car from back in the day. He also says that Gene Winfield remembers it and told him that he painted it the wrong green if he's trying to be correct....but that he remembers the car too.
    No actual documentation, just this guys word. If I don't get any confirmation off of here, I guess I'll just ask the people at Barris
    :)
    Thanks for the thoughts so far guys, keep em coming...

14. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

It sure doesn't look like it to me either...

15. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

barris stickers?

well a sticker with the barris name on it doesnt mean shit
    even crests on the side of the fenders don't mean its a barris car you can buy repro ones now...

i wouldn't belive a car was a barris car unless its been stated in an old magazine with pics of the car that its a barris car , or if george barris can verify it himself..

to common for people to say stuff is barris... and the reason is $$$$$$$ anything belived to be barris generates more money...

16. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

to common for people to say stuff is barris... and the reason is $$$$$$$ anything belived to be barris generates more money...[/QUOTE]

Very True,
    I suppose I'll have to see if Barris can verify. I'm supprised that no one remembers seeing this car at some point in time. It seems like one you'd remember.

17. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

new business gimick for George

"is my car an real barris car?, send in 100 dollars with photo for veryfing ;)"

18. scottrod

scottrod

I got your answer for ya Junkie. Sorry, but "we didn't do it." That came straight out of George Barris' mouth about 20 minutes ago. I pass by Barris Kustoms to and from work everyday so I figured it would only take a few minutes out of my day to stop by after work and see if somebody could look at the pictures and verify the story for me. Luckily George was there at his desk and he looked at the photos and said flat out "we didn't do it." I could see there was no doubt in his mind. "Its a nice car, but we didn't do it" he added. I would still buy it because it is a cool looking serious custom, but the price better come way down! As for the Gene Winfield story, that's probably BS too.
    Still, if you don't want it, PM me the asking price, because I love it no matter who built it.

19. That rear glass however cool is not from a 60 -it resembles a 55-59Chev wide rear pickup opening and glass........or a 57 ford pickup winshield?

20. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

That's not even a sure fire deal. My dad had a '47 Ford that was a barris car (we've found old magazines and talked to owners from the 50's that verified it), but at a car show about 5 years ago my dad asked George about it. His response was that they had done so many cars like that, that unless he knew the original owner's name he couldn't tell him much other than it looked like the kind of thing they did. Even with a name there's no garentee he'll remember one person.

On the other hand, that car is really different, and would probably stand out.

21. To me, the car kinda has an East Coast flavor. It is koooool. Are you sure it was built in the West?

Where are all our HAMB kustom historians? Rikster? Sailor? Anybody? Let's solve this mystery! E

22. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

E,
    this car was purchased from an estate sale in the North East...New York or New Jersey i believe. So, you may be right. It was in storage for a LONG time. Anybody have an idea of what an old kustom like this might be worth? It still needs some work to finish, but it runs and drives. 348 w/ 3X2...