Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barris built 1951 Mercury ?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EXK, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I donno who did it..... but somebody needs to do it over

2. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I have a "documented" piece of horse crap that they are pretty sure came from Sea Bisquit! How much more is it worth than an average piece of horse crap?
    Documentation doesn't make that any less of of an ugly '80s custom with a bad chop.

3. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

No he didn't. There are alot of cars that were done by other builders and Barris would maybe paint it or add a piece and then slap his crest on the car and take credit for the whole build. He was a savvy Businessman.

4. Come one now. Some one must have some early pictures or some kind of history on this 1951 Mercury.

5. Nah, they'd rather just take any opportunity to Bash Barris

6. weez

weez

A fine example of an 1980s built "fifties" custom.

7. green53ford

green53ford
    from Wisconsin

Nothing about the car looks barris to me. But thats just my opinion. Using 70s and newer parts on a 50s style custom just ruins it for me.

8. FyUoCuK239

FyUoCuK239

Rik said it best. This car is hideous nothing appealing about it at all IMO, George is a greedy joke who takes to much undeserved credit. Sam had the vision and the talent after he passed the shop should have been called Barris cars for films and they should have stuck to just that, but again my opinion.

9. Ok i know its fun beating up on George and mid 70s customs but someone must know something as this is the HAMB or did i log on to the wrong site by mistake :confused:

Oh almost forget, Happy New Years

10. Is this the "Barris Beaters" Club?
    Sorry.
    I'll shut the door on my way out.

11. Still nothing ???

12. HRod 50

HRod 50

Yup, Exactly....

13. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

OK Here are my thoughts, many custome such as this car, and I believe most cars in the 50's, the builder would do things a piece at a time, and things would get done by different shops I am sure, so did the car get built by the Barris' who knows, even if it were in the shop it would have been done by an employee so it still would not have been done by them so much as just in their shop. So what you may have is a car built by billy bobs custom shop with the door handles shaved by johnny jack that worked at the barris' shop that week. The point of me spending this much time typing is none of us really know for sure what happened with our cars in the past for sure and does it make the car look, ride or drive any different? No it dosent so sell it, drive it, do whatever with it and quit trying to chase down something that you will likely never know the truth about anyway. Jim

14. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

Can anyone identify those hub caps?
    I seem to remember a daisy duke car with them.
    Jim Genty used to have them on his shoe box.

15. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Really good eye, those are an accessory cap for the 72 plymouth sport satelite. Daisy Duke drove a yellow one in the first season or two of the dukes of hazzard, they had a roadrunner stripe on it I think but it was a sport satelite. Jim

16. Well that sure takes all the fun out of owning a classic custom.
    Maybe we should all just drive a Toy ota as we know they were originally from American iron... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

17. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

I am not saying that! Crap just read between the lines why dont you! All I am saying is you dont need a fucking pedegree to make your car a cool car do you? Mine sat in a field and I drug it out of that field with a old 67 dodge power wagon on its frame, then I picked it up with a backhoe and sat it on logs to put supension under it, now does that make it any different than any other fucking 49 merc out there? I have a 49 merc convertible that is sitting in a pile of weeds in my back yard beside a old woody wagon with a bunch of dogs pissing on them so should that make them cheeper cars that I should just junk, NO! They still are what they are, not matter who owned them or what they have been through they are what they are and hopefully for you, and for the owner of that 51 in this thread they are the car that you love, because I damn sure know mine are the ones I love and it will be a cold day in hell when mine are taken from me I dont give a damn who built them or worked on them, (which is me by the way) Jim

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, time frigging out. It seems that every time someone on here asks a simple question on here lately it starts a pissing and moaning contest.
    So the car's a bit of a mutt and it may not have a pedigree with papers from the association of cool early Mercs but it is still a 51 Mercury coupe with a chopped top and spins my wheels in that regard. It's obviously not a historical custom or Rikster would have it in his data bank of cool old customs. Maybe the good thing about that is no one will piss and moan much if EXK and his sidekicks decide to change it to give it a more traditional appearance. For once there is a custom Merc that no one on here will have a cow if the guy who just bought it does some changes to make it his and make it right.

19. Hey Jim.
    Easy to just type what you mean instead of riddles
    about reading between the lines.
    What does that mean really?:eek:

20. All in all it's still a Merc and with a bit of carving could still be a pretty nice ride!

21. That would have been Al Helerud....the only thing vinney knew how to chop was suey:D
    As for Barris subbing any work to KMK..not in the 3 years i worked there.....but somebody had to do it, and George was the sub contract king...

Vinnie's idea of a repeat customer was..........a comeback

KMK Shop mantra.....if you can't do the metalwork, you better know how to do the bondo work...

KMK aka carve a car:p

And one for Kraig, his partner in crime.....I was the one who burned all the paint on the rear wheel wells on your Pantera...

I was out blasting canyons in the middle of the night and the tires you put on the rear were to wide.:D:D:D:D

And ya...i was the one who built the 32' abortion.....it's OK...i sand bagged
    that job every chance i got...that's how i got decent money for putting up with management..

22. Ok i got some history on who did the chop and if it's true its going to make for some red faces here i would think. Got an e-mail from a young man who claims to be the grandson of the orginal owner / builder. His grand father had it chopped in the mid 60's in a small shop in Detroit by a guy named Larry Alexander :eek::eek::eek:. He is sending me some old pic's of the Merc in his grand fathers guarge with the chop already done dated 1968. I am trying to contact Mike Alexander thru a personal friend of the family to see if he rembers anything about this Merc but have not heard nothing yet.