Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Barris " AZTEC @ MECUM AUCTIONS.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by mikhett, Dec 29, 2019.

1. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Being in SoCal in the fifties and sixties, I saw a lot of these customs when they were brand new. As a car guy, I appreciate cars period. Customs, low riders, sleepers, VW’s, sports cars, exotics and mini trucks are all worth a second look. The negative attitude by some posters here tells me that they’re small minded and lack the grace to keep their mouths shut.

2. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

One of my favorite early Custom's. Adding to the wow factor for me is the fact that I've always had a soft spot for Custom 55-57 Chevy's.
    It's a significant early Custom and deserves it's spot in our history. Looks like the restoration work is top notch too.
    Hope it goes to a good home. One that will share the car with us rather than stash it away in a garage. Perhaps a museum that will get it out to some shows and perhaps loan it out to other museums for all to enjoy. I'd love to see it in person.

hotrodjack33, chevy57dude and Stogy like this.
  3. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

I,d like to see the cars the critics have built so we can comment on them

4. 296moon

296moon
    from england

The Aztec is one of my all time greats, it and a few others are what inspired me to build my own radical custom............ one more to dislike? perhaps, do I care? hell No!

5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I don't have much knowledge of customs history, don't even recall seeing Aztec before. When this thread came up I didn't care for it, but after looking at it for a couple of days I must say it's grown on me. I also expect seeing it in person would be a lot more exciting.

I see two separate subjects at work here. One is the appearance of the car itself, the other is the history. There are many customs getting dissed in the "Ugly" thread going on now that no one is defending. Is it OK to call a custom ugly if it has no history? Can a custom with history ever be called ugly?

No skin in this game, just an observation.

6. Curious how this will do at auction. I am always intrigued on what customs sell for as this post as has shown at how hot or cold people react to it. Its such a recognizable custom that it should do pretty well. I've always liked the car as I have always had a soft spot for custom tri-fives as I enjoy the comments of people upset at altering the look of a tri-five, its something that's been fun to watch with showing Taboo over the years.

7. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Only had the privilege to see it one time and that was at the KKOA Spectacular in Lancaster Ohio. I'll never forget sitting at registration, watching it drive into the building and park right in front of me. She is my favorite kustom to roll out of the Barris shop. Hope it goes to a good home.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  8. now that just dumb

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

not the most attractive custom by today's standards, but it must have been something else when built.

not a "timeless" custom like Sam Barris Merc. this is definitely stuck in the time when it was built stylewise.

I appreciate it for the history but it would not be the one I would buy if I became suddenly wealthy.

Peter Nowak likes this.
  10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

...I think it would be more cool if it had a full painted roof

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From one can of worms to another essentially, However this Thread wasn't aimed at desecrating History...as the other Thread was destined to involve...

chryslerfan55 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

20191227_143131.jpg

Desoto291Hemi and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. My mom taught me "If ya can't say something nice don't say anything"

Barn Hunter, Desoto291Hemi and Stogy like this.
  14. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I got busy or I would have posted sooner. I Messaged Mark last night after I posted........"Poor old chevy". My meaning was taken wrong. Something that's my fault, for not clearing that up sooner. My meaning was, that poor old 55 chevy is gonna bring BIG bucks at auction. That's the problem with typing , not saying in person. I Appeciate the time, work and all that was put into that car. I love custom's. No question it's an important car. I didn't think in my feeble mind that anyone would jump in after my comment and bash the car. Bad choice of words on my part and should have clarified myself right away after the hating started. I feel like the guy who started this and don't want this on my resume. Cause I'm not that way. Again, I should have posted sooner but got busy. There, I'm done. Lippy

15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Before the HAMB I was not a custom fan, I walked right by them at shows and hardly batted an eye in route to the muscle cars and hot rods. Now I have sold all of my muscle cars save one and the custom thing is quickly growing on me. One thing I find is it takes guts to build a custom.

Restoring takes talent but little imagination, hot rodding is pretty much a defined recipe with a few exceptions, but customizing is art and like Warhol sometimes it is not for everyone.

Case in point, a buddy called the other night about what color to paint his 67 stingray hardtop. It has flared fenders and vintage 5 spokes. A local guru whom I respect BTW said it had to be painted a factory vette color and I disagreed. I said it needed 2 more tail lights, lose the flip up headlights and candy/pearl/lace/panel/airbrushed job. He replied "what happened to you man?" I said the HAMB happened!

16. This very to cool to see it all restored. I believe I’ve that pic of the car with the top on it looks like a model kit not the actual car. I don’t think some people get that this one of those cars that is like an Ultra Kustom, for shows similar to the Sahara that was the next level.
    The subtle custom work that people relate to was more for Kustoms you see on the road day to day.
    Like the difference between a jalopy Hotrod and a Bonniville Streamliner.

Some people may not like it, but it is part of history and takes a lot talent to restore these and lot of kustom techniques were done originally here and then applied to the regular customs.
    This about the top of my list with Kustoms. Beautiful car.

To each their own. Same reason I don’t reply to most Hotrod threads.

17. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Fellas, you have to realize something about Mark... @Moriarity.
    He was born a decade just a hair late ( late 59 - early 60s ) - but as a kid - those were such influential times to him.
    It stuck at that age- never to be normal again - reading magazine after magazine - I can relate....

That being said - how it all started for Mark was he popped out of his mom and she looked at him and said - what the heck is that ?

The Doctor - who happened to have a old car and be a old car guy said - don't know but grab some Bondo and Lead and make em look how you want him to look.. Well shortly after, his mom did just that, applying Bondo and Lead on him to make him look as she wanted him to look.:eek:

What she didn't know is that Bondo and Lead got under his skin - never to be normal again.
    She took him in for his 12 month check up and seeing the same Doctor ( remember has a old car and is a car guy) said...I see you used the Bondo and Lead I recommended and made him look as you wanted....:eek:

But, I tried to get him to make a few sounds being 12 months and noticed one thing....
    Bondo and lead are for Modifying - Words like Modified start with a M.
    At 12 months I made a M sound but he made no sound in return.

Then I tried a C sound and holy cow - the word that starts with C - he just keeps babblng and babbling - over and over again. Custom - Custom- Custom.
    His mom said - I know - he just wont shut up - he keeps saying and saying over and over again...Custom....Custom...Custom. it's driving me nuts.
    Doctor can you do anything ?
    The Doctor said - sure - buy him a old car as soon as you can to play with and keep your Custom Nut Kid away from my car !

What some of you fellas see doesn't fit your eyes.
    What Mark sees is pure Art.
    Total transformation of the imagination.

18. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

Art is the execution of an inspirational emotion that the artist must express in order to release its hold on the inspired.. Art is passion.. Passion is a sword that is sharp on both sides.. Therefore, when we view or experience art that connects with us it plucks the strings of our emotions and speaks to us in ways that generates an emotional response.. That’s the the whole point of any artistic endeavor..! Passion pours out from the artist onto the canvas and is there for all to see and experience.. Love and hate are two sides of the same coin. Both are passionate responses to the subject at hand..

The Aztec is doing exactly what it’s suppose to be doing. Just as any other work of art does when viewed or experienced.. It creates a reaction..!

Ya dig..?

19. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

@corncobcoupe That is the best thing I have read on here in awhile and is the absolute truth.
    As far as the Aztec, I hope it goes to a great home. Funny thing, because of the Car Craft cover, I always new the interior better than the outside.
    @Moriarity, you already got two '55s how about one more?

20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Oh man.... too rich for my blood

21. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

hate to see barry selling it, but im sure hes in no hurry, I believe the auction has a reserve, so prediction is sahara money but i have no idea, to me just doesnt have the same excitement having a reserve but best of luck! awesome car

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Lippy, words even if chosen correctly can spiral in every which direction when interpreted...

I did misinterpret your intended message in the negative camp.

I time to time miss the mark on what I was implying due to how I put it across in word and make a point as you did to explain what my intended message was implying...as it's generally a positive and negativity is not my chosen path as a rule...

This Car Culture we celebrate here is kind of like a digital Art Gallery and my behavior in a gallery is generally my tone here...don't appreciate or feel the positive ions...on to the next work...quietly...;)

Funny thing as Bandit Billy says sometimes I will look at things that didn't strike me as interesting and discover things to appreciate the 2nd time around...Cars have been a huge part of this last message...;)

23. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

When I see a really bitchin car regardless of what class, I am intrigued. I was raised in So Cal and was fortunate enough to see the Fuel Altered class, The beginnings of funny cars, T Buckets, Gassers, Street Customs, Low Riders, and Full Customs. The Great Western Exhibit hall in East L.A. had the Winternationals car show which is where I first laid eyes on the Ala Kart. The R.G. Canning shows were also very nice shows. Watson, Jefferies, Roth, Raja, were also on full view.
    Some I liked, some I loved, some were not my cup of tea; BUT, you have to look at the thought, workmanship, execution, and so on to really critique the car. And one more thing to consider, the car is around six decades old. Styles change, we change. Would I want the Aztec? I'm not sure, but damn its got some style. Lighten up on the full custom guys.:)

24. I saw the Aztec at Barry Mazza's house when Barry still lived in New Jersey, I was thankful that someone cared enough to save this car, as too many customs were left to become derelicts. If you don't like the way it looks, appreciate the workmanship of the build. When I lived in California in my teens, I went to a lot of car shows, and saw a lot of customs. I didn't always like the finished product, but I always appreciated the work that went into the finished product. Be thankful, that someone invested the time and money to preserve what is part of our culture.

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...and their Motorized Artistic Offerings

I enjoyed your point of view as well Sky...

Removing Lights, scrapping trim cutting the ugly off are directed at the Custom and not the guy who did it...it is insulting to the Artist however but goes further.

26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

hahahahaha... how long have you been savin that????

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spooky has some competition...:D

chryslerfan55 and Moriarity like this.
  28. wvenfield

wvenfield

I think it needs 22's and a LS-1.

49ratfink and kidcampbell71 like this.
  29. dont forget the massive sounds system that will shake a house!

chryslerfan55 and wvenfield like this.
  30. were straying off topic// lol

chryslerfan55 likes this.