Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Barrett Jackson Prices Seem Low

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FalconMan, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

I been there 3 times , not to buy, but to check out the vehicles under the tents. You can't touch the vehicles, open doors or hoods. I wear blue jeans so that I can look under the vehicles. They might look great on top but are a mess underneath on some. I was a member of the Arizona Classic Thunderbird Club for about 13 years and they have been contacted by B. J. buyers with some hair raising problems and complaints. Caveat emptor "Let the buyer beware". There are other auctions in the valley in January and February that deserve visiting.

2. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Just my two cents... but I've decided to keep building old Fords because I like 'em, and I have started collecting a few 60's and 70's cars in order to diversify... I'll drive my old Fords to car shows and daily the "late model" stuff... We've only got 25 years of gasoline powered vehicles left anyways...

j3harleys and Nailhead Jason like this.
  3. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I wouldn’t think it would be legal to buy a car under the influence

4. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I guess I’m in the “ rather build one than buy one “ camp

5. DdoubleD

DdoubleD
    from Michigan

Are you serious? You could break a nail, or worse a sweat. LOL.

Deuces, jvo, Desoto291Hemi and 4 others like this.
  6. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Or put an eye out

7. Budget36

Budget36

Maybe I'm goofy, I only watch these type of shows to look at the cars, really don't care on what they sold for.

Wish they'd show more of an inspection on them.

b-body-bob and nochop like this.
  8. hudson48

hudson48

I use the fast forward button X 6 and through the ads X30. Hit play if I see something interesting and can watch the whole 2 hours in 20mins or so.

9. Chainsaw chipper

Chainsaw chipper
    from Illinois

Good thing you don't live in Illinois where the state determines the tax you pay(on the price you claim) for a antique car on auction results.If you come in below the latest auction results they call you on the carpet and TELL you how much you owe. State Farm insurance stated price policy also uses auction results,Try to insure a model a hot rod for what it cost to build against what they bring at auction.Those prices affect more that one might assume.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  10. I agree with that 100%.

11. Sounds like if I was in this deal for the investment...I might should sell now considering C10’s are hot?!?! However, I just like driving this old junk so am not looking to sell anything soon...other than maybe a Corvair. I’m just waiting for those hit big numbers. :D

12. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

For the first time in …..well, decades, I don't have a project. I
    was watching Mecum and BJ lately, and the thought occurred to me that maybe the cheapest way to build another car would be to go to one of these auctions and buy a couple of hot rods. Mix, match and swap to come up with a car YOU like, sell the excess parts and have a pretty nice hot rod for a lot less than you would have in a scratch build.

13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I went to the one in Orange County and the 2 Mecums I opened doors and hoods and no one ever said a word. I even pulled oil dip sticks. And your right about looking under them.

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  14. fleetside66

fleetside66

The same place as all of the '57 Corvette fuelies.

15. Budget36

Budget36

Let us know how that works out;)

harpo1313 likes this.
  16. Say a 40K car,,,,,,,,,, What? maybe $500 to sit and bid? Taxes on 40= lets just say 10%, then buyers premium at what- maybe 11-12%? So with a min of 20% on a 40K buy, well........ That number jumps a bunch........... Just saying.

j3harleys and Moriarity like this.
  17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

true.... the auctioneers are getting wealthy on these events

18. I have half a beer left - when you get up - can you grab me one - thanks

19. Told my hedge fund manager.....my Studebaker's have got to be the next BIG thing.........!

20. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At those prices that can now be saved and made into hotrods :)

21. Cosmo49 and gad62 like this.
  22. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

When you look at Barrett Jackson or any other auction on TV ask yourself what the average age of the people sitting in the seats are and then look at the person who has the winning bid and ask yourself again how old they look.
    This will give you an idea of what's going on and why the car market is slowly fading away.
    Not enough old guys left who still care about old cars and who have the money to keep playing this game.

The answer for revering this trend is not easy to come up with and maybe this trend cannot be changed.
    If it makes anyone feel any better this exact same trend is happening in all forms of auto racing, sports, and many other things.
    Years ago drag strips were being sold to make way for malls and today the same malls are going out of business for one reason!
    Peoples interests have changed and they do more shopping online rather then driving to malls.

Blaming Ebay, Barrett Jackson and other auctions is crazy because they are just trying to run and in many cases save their business which they also see as changing in a big way.
    Some of the biggest car show in the country are having the exact same problem with less cars and spectators every year and trying to figure out what to do about it and how to pay the bills for putting on the shows.

Just my opinion Jimbo

Gasser 57, HemiDeuce and j3harleys like this.
  23. Gotta drive our cars. the movement will avoid falling skies.
    @flynbrian48 - That Riv had me dreamin'. The Queen woulda made me sleep in it though...

flynbrian48 likes this.
  24. I watched a lifted 72 Chevy 4x4 longbed truck bid to 130k..........the wheelbase was off drastically , the rear tire looked about 3 inches forward of the wheel well. ??? An "all original 67 Corvette" with aftermarket ralley wheel trim rings ??? For me it is entertaining , seeing John Force get cranked up made me smile ....the guy is a hoot...., what is annoying is that every so often a cool car of our interest comes up and they go to a commercial ....but will spend 5 minutes on a new Ford pickup that you need a ladder to get into with led lighting in the wheel wells .....yaaay??? The show is what it is......it is about $$$ , I went to Mecum once and liked the experience . The benefit of wandering and looking at the cars that interest you is positive. For me , owning someones build does not do much for me, garage time with your own build is the fun of this hobby imo. I wonder how many buyers have buyers remorse after they get home? I would like to go to a Barrettt Jackson event and spend a few extra days taking in the other things to do in the area. Being mid winter and expecting snow I will watch it again today.

25. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Hahahaha! My wife NEVER liked the car, was mildly (;)) annoyed when not one, but TWO of them showed up in our yard after she'd said, when I pointed one out a show, "I like those.".

26. RRanchero Rick

RRanchero Rick

I drove for 2 National auctions. Drove some fine cars and some real, real crap balls too. Most of 'em look good after they spray that froo froo juice all over them just before they go on the block.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  27. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I stopped watching many of these shows and build shows years ago. Many of the guys I work with watch these shows and think it weird because I'm into cars and have little interest in watching them. I did find it interesting in 2008 when the recession was on watching car after car on the Barret Jackson auction not even coming close to their reserve bid and being pulled off the block. I guess I have a hard time with people who have no interest in cars other than as a trading investment and keep a warehouse full of them that never see the light of day except when they are to be put on the block again. But I guess each to his own. There, I'm done venting for today. Now time to go and shovel snow.

28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Aren`t there 5 big car auctions in Arizona this month. At least there was a few years ago. And nobody talks about the other ones. This is why I don`t watch TV. It`s all fake news.

ramblin dan likes this.
  29. I watch it & Mecums just for entertainment. I watch build show once in a great while because the made up drama & unrealistic deadlines turn me off, but I don't really understand the big uproar about any of it. If you don't like BJ don't watch it. I do however get the argument about it artificially inflating prices on cars for sale by local goof-balls that think since it went that high on BJ, mine must be worth that much!
    Spending the whole week out there is on my bucket list, but haven't decided if I will offer transport to & from or just fly out & rent a car so I can relax. I need to pay more attention to my scheduling though as I have had 3 customers call & ask me to pickup cars they bought in the last couple of days. They need to be gone by the 27th & I am scheduled to deliver in El Cajon, Ca the 1st or 2nd week of Feb so I can't help them!

Plan9 mentioned about the tax rate in Az being relatively low....Maybe compared to where you are but they are 2 &1/2 % higher than in my county of Ohio & they are one of the few states that do NOT reciprocate on the tax. A year & a half ago I bought a car just under 40k (Peoria, Az, Phoenix Suburb) & Ohio told me I should be able to get the tax difference back from Az. When I contacted them they said I was "Out Of Luck"

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  30. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

A LOT of these cars are bought by drunks I have witnessed this in person many times. I had a really DRUNK gold chainer asshat and his wife bragging to me about how much he just paid (175K)for a Benz convert. He left for another drink and his wife stayed at my table and I informed her that her hubby just overpaid by about 60K for the Benz. Shortly afterwords I saw the wife reading said drunk the riot act and smacking him over the head with her purse! Very amusing to say the least:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.