Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Barrett Jackson Prices Seem Low

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FalconMan, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Watching Barrett Jackson Thursday night. I was surprised how low some of these cars went for, especially new builds. I assume the 'lower quality' cars are sent through the auction early in the week. The big buck cars will be Friday an Saturday. It seems street rods and customs have gone down in value even here, as we all know have taken a hit lately. Some of the trucks seem to do quite well. Crazy ... I need to stop watching and get back out in the garage .....

2. the-rodster

the-rodster

I need your avatar.

Rich

Barn Hunter and LOU WELLS like this.
  3. I've seen some nice looking hot rods go for way less than their build price on those auctions. If these cars were built to flip, it doesn't seem like a very good way to do business...

4. Deuces

Deuces

Was it yesterday???... I seen a '72ish 4x4 go for.... What was it???.. 93,000 grand????:confused:........... :eek:

Spooky and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. birdman1

birdman1

Seems like all that is for sale on the hamb is 32, 33, 34 Ford coupes!! Where do they all come from??

6. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Just Enjoy Your Hot Rods And Let The Rest Of The World Worry About The Math.... 69405006_1335143616648811_9116553283920461824_n.jpg

7. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I agree some of the cars went for far less then they would have even a few years ago. I think it is just a sign of the times. The interest in the prewar, 40’s and 50’s cars is becoming less as the guys who liked those cars and that style are becoming older. At one time antique brass era cars was BJ’s bread and butter. Muscle Cars are still popular and bringing good money but that will eventually change also as those guys get older. It seems cars from the 70’ and 80’s are becoming the hot sellers and prices are increasing. The big segment is now the modern muscle car (Mustangs, Camaro’s Hellcat’s, Demon’s Corvettes, etc.) that are bringing the big dollars. Sad but true we are all getting old and things change.

8. Interesting at times to watch, but for the most part in our own market areas, not a true gauge.
    Prices have been, and are decreasing for our preferred era of cars.

9. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I think all threads like this should be deleted.

Go enjoy your car and quit worrying about how much it's worth.

48fordnut, brad2v, Oldrust and 36 others like this.
  10. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Are there any mid 60s - mid 70s C10s left on the road? Seems like they are all in Scottsdale.......

11. I am a die hard car guy but I just can't sit and watch that auction for hours. HRP

Spooky, Fern 54, Okie Pete and 15 others like this.
  12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Election year, record highs in the stock markets, go back and compare 2013-14 and 2015-16 to 2017-18. Go back even further. No mods, this isn't political, I promise. Profits made elsewhere take action away from the toys. All the toys, not just "our stuff". Relax, we're fine. Still, if you feel you have to "dump" that Deuce 3W for .40 cents on the dollar send me a PM...;)

13. they are out there and they are the current "it" thing to have, so 60-72 Chevy/GMC pickups have really spiked in value and even the 73-88 Square bodies have drastically gone up. Factory short boxes are bringing crazy money as well as factory 4x4's

Ranchero59 and guthriesmith like this.
  14. RmK57

RmK57

The pick up market is hot right now, along with early Bronco, Blazer and other utilities. Glad I got my old 66 Bronco when I did.

Spooky, Deuces and tractorguy like this.
  15. Barret Jackson is ridiculous. Its filled with rich idiots and bull shit. My dad loves to watch it, I get it, he is unable to work on stuff in the shop anymore so he watches a lot of TV. Last year watching with Dad, I watched a gorgeous 38 Ford Deluxe Convertible Sedan, all restored and immaculate looking, sell for 17 thousand dollars.....then the very next car was a jacked up early 2000's Hummer H2, with 15 TV's in it, giant mud tires, every fucking doo dad you can think of bolted to it, sell for $65,0000 dollars. That solidified that Barret Jackson is filled with Tasteless idiots. I for one hope the whole Barret Jackson thing dies out, just so I can stop hearing dumb asses when I look at a car say "Well I saw one sell on Barret Jackson sell for 150,000 dollars" yeah you did, a dumb ass bought it, and you are Not Chip Foose, Steve Strope, or some other Known builder, you are selling a 68 nova four door that I am lookin at for parts...….Rant over

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  16. The only way I can watch it is with the sound turned all the way down. The commentators are so full of shit with "facts" to burn. If anyone pays any attention to them their brains will seize up and they will die in front of the TV.....

17. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

OMG, another "sky is falling" thread.
    You put negative into the the universe, it multiplies and happens.
    You put positive out there, same thing.
    Which are you going to be?

18. RmK57

RmK57

I guess that depends if your buying or selling.

19. Some former high dollar goldchainer street rods went in the 29-35k range yesterday
    Some import tuner stuff brought 85k up
    C10s did good

48fordnut likes this.
  20. fuzzface

fuzzface

I watched most of it and I thought the prices were going high. even on the first day they were higher than normal. Usually you don't start seeing the big ticket cars until today and Saturday but we already had multiples of 6 digit cars already.

It is just the junk that interests folks here the most is way down on price where it is cheaper to buy them done then to build them.

Some of that off topic cars/trucks for here sure was bringing in good numbers. but that is like any auctions some stuff go cheap and other stuff high. 20-s-30's stuff was cheap but man those k10 chevies and early broncos are on fire this year.

Crowd is changing. Money is changing and people now don't have the same interest as the past participants. .

Might be why some of this stuff isn't selling being listed online for what the sellers want and think there is no interest when you can buy a similar car at a big name auction for a third of what those sellers want.

moparjimd60 likes this.
  21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Totally unrelated, non complaining response to this, "I sold my Riviera project for whatI had in it! Unfinished! And, got to keep some of the stuff I'll need for the wagon! I don't waste time watching auctions on TV! I build cars! The economy seems OK! I'm retired!" Now, back to complaints about BJ auctions...

Marty S, ffr1222k, winduptoy and 5 others like this.
  22. LAROKE

LAROKE

So glad I quit watching TV ten years ago.

23. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Are the prices really low or just more realistic?
    It is just a TV show put on for your entertainment. All the front row big money people get up and leave when the cameras get turned off I have heard.

anthony myrick likes this.
  24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It isn't that they are cheap it's the non-friendly HAMB are whats selling now especially the pickups which will "tank" in a few years. Yesterday I saw a 65 Impala Biscayne post go thru I would have liked to have and a 65 Malibu (might have been Mecum) non SS stock 283-2 barrel and factory 4-speed at low $$ because it's not desirable.

tractorguy likes this.
  25. TimCT

TimCT

I kinda don't pay attention to the prices, if only because of the amount of Tito's being poured out in that tent. The more you drink, the more it seems like a fantastic idea to bring that lime green Hummer with neon ground effects home with you.

26. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Sam Pack's 51 Mercury sold for $32,000. I didn't see it in person but his cars are normally pretty high quality. Made me sick as I'm building a 51 and there is no way I'll do it for $32,000. Really makes me wonder...…...

stillrunners likes this.
  27. I'm sorry that I missed the chance to bid on the "Bullit" Rustang! o_O

Driver50x and iron dave like this.
  28. Man I wanted that Rivi of yours. just no space for another project. I even have the whole drive train for one! That front end and head light treatment was killer!!!

lothiandon1940 and flynbrian48 like this.
  29. Duke460bb

Duke460bb

I can sit for hours and watch on TV. Wife is pretty good at finding bad body work of fender gaps. Will never go to a live one, not enough room in the garage.

30. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

As much as we all tend to chaff at the expensive cars we can't afford to own, the specialty car industry only exists becaues of the high dollar people in it. In this capatalistic and moronic millennial society we would have been legislated out of existence long ago if all we had standing up for us was a bunch of guys building cars with junkyard parts. How many times have you seen municipalities pass laws trying to make owning,building and licensing old cars difficult to impossible? All the reproduction parts we all rely on wouldn't be available.The only thing I don't care for on the auctions is the small number of street rods and the large quanity of Corvettes and Foreign cars crossing the stage............but then, maybe thats a good thing after all.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.