Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Barrett-Jackson Live TV starts 01/19/10.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jack Thomas, Jan 19, 2010.

1. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Seems very, very cheap!

2. classicmike

classicmike

Watching BJ is like seeing Homes of the Stars, then going to look for a house that you can afford.

3. the racecar was a mock up not a real racecar but the transporter was very cool,problem would be,as they said on tv having a shop big enough to park it in,....................it was kinda rough when you looked close

4. foghorn62

foghorn62

Does anyone know what Ron Pratt does for a living? I want to do that.

A little off topic, a few years ago when I was into 62 Tbirds, I traded info with a guy up in Minnesota by the name of Tom Maruska, who has sold several cars at BJ. Every year, he would buy a very nice #2 Tbird convertible of some sort like a M code Sports Roadster, or a blown 57, take it completely apart and put it back together as a 100 point concourse car, then sell it at BJ for a nice profit. By starting with a nice car, he didn’t have to scrounge for parts and mostly just reconditioned what was there and paint.

A couple of years ago, he sold the worlds record Amphicar for $124,200! Then he started getting into factory concept cars and hit some real home runs. Last year he sold “The Italian”, a one of a kind 63 Tbird fast back concept car that he had done a beautiful job on, for over $300K! After that auction though, he said that he was through BJ because of the way that the big money buyers would get together before the auction and decide who was going to buy the car and how much it would go for.

This year, he restored a 54 Mercury concept car called the XM-800. Again, he did an awesome job on the car, and yesterday it sold at the RM auction in Scottsdale for $429k! This guy definitely has talent, but more than that, he has figured out a way to make a real profit from these big money auctions.

If you would like to see the build sites for “The Italian”, the "XM-800", or some of his other cars, here is a link to his web site www.tbirdsquare.com . He is a real nice guy and is always more than happy to answer any questions that you may have about his work.

7. The car is a work of art, A+, it is hard to equate Cobras and Mustangs auctioning off at more than this super build. Personally I think Shelby cars are too glorified and over-rated, too many add-ons to the body, although I do like the early white GT's. This car should have demanded a lot more, Mr. Pratt did good.

8. iamq

iamq
    from Ma

I think that when people see that Ron is the other bidder they know he can and will go deeeep to get what he wants so they just back off.. That builder got screwed...

9. Dr. Frankensickle

Dr. Frankensickle
    from Kansas

I think I have very little in common with chainers,..DUH...Im glad some body can afford such stuff,I never will .

10. foghorn62

foghorn62

Most of the "chainers" seem to be used car dealers looking for cars to re-sell. I doubt that I'll ever buy a car from a collector car dealer.

Whenever you see Pratt, he is usually wearing jeans, and a baseball cap and trying to maintain a low profile. At least as low a profile as one can when he is buying millions of dollars worth of cars and donating millions more to charities.

BTW, BJ does advertise itself as the worlds largest “collector car” auction. I doubt that there too many car “collectors” on the HAMB. Most of us are more like car enthusiasts. Myself, I like all things cars. Whether it be new cars, old cars, race cars, classic cars, customs, exotics, hotrods, rat rods, I love them all. I can’t afford many, but that doesn’t stop me from paying attention to them.

11. Good point, as one of the commentators said, some of these bidders, bid like it's just Monopoly Money! :cool:

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

True he most likely didn't make a real profit on the car but it will probably bring him a million dollars worth of work in the next five years by going across the block there. And his shop rate probably just went too.
    Since it looks like it is his personal car it's probably been sold to finance the next project just like the majority of us do on one scale or another.

13. Kerry67

Kerry67

I was at Barrett Yesterday. Saw some nice cars and to me it did not seem to be as crowded as past Satudays from previous years. Probably because of how the weather has been. Out of all the cars there, this was my personal favorite.

Attached Files:

14. Car builders, dealers, restorers and even the manufacturers use the B-J TV coverage for advertising. Sure thay loose money on the vehicles but the advertsing to the target car audience is PRICELESS.

15. Hip2bsquare

Hip2bsquare
    from Gilbert,AZ

x2!!

16. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

Roths 1933 3 window built in 1963 went for 27k!!!!!!!

17. Shows you traditional is not the flavor of the month anymore . . . if it ever was with the B-J audience. What a joke - fiberglass easter egg "street rods" went for two to three times that amount!

18. screwball

screwball

most of the bidders at B/J are there to hide tax $$ they make $$$ when the car prices go up and they can hide $$$$$ when price goes down. Not real car guys just another way to invest extra money. Just another comodity.

19. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

anyone else see that gold roadster in line to the block?

20. 29SX276

29SX276

I would have loved to see more of that roadster too....Is it me or does it seem like a lot of the time a good looking hot rod is ready to be sold,the network or BJ switches over to a damn commercial or some inane discussion about polish etc!! I noticed three situations where a "traditional style" rod was ready to be auctioned off and the damned show went to fantasy bids or commercials.Not a HAMB friendly place methinks.

21. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

"Traditional" has never been the flavor of the month with this group of people. It just is what it has been for years, catering to a crowd that, for the most part, doesn't remotely resemble anything like the tastes of the HAMB community.
    So, if your going to watch, you have to remind yourself that all the world doesn't revolve around any one style, much less ours.
    If anyone here watches B-J to view traditional rods and customs, they are better off watching a championship dog show and waiting for the trad. rods to arrive. You had better have brought your lunch.
    This is "their" playground and it's their rules. So, I watch very little of it, but I do know what I'll be seeing the most of...T-Birds, Corvettes, etc., etc. To them, this is their "Holy Grail". So, let 'em have it.
    If, for some reason you don't like to watch B-J, then don't. Their not going to have many cars that would appeal to the HAMB members good tastes, so why bother?
    I look at it as entertainment and it's entertainment that has as much to do with my car hobby as does the "Man in the Moon".

22. 29SX276

29SX276

Well you know,when there is only a handful of rods presented over the whole week,it is a bit aggravating to see a few "pre-empted"
    by other topics. That being said,I know that it's "their turf" and I can live with that; there was lot of choice cars there other than rods and all were good entertainment value.I won't take it so seriously next time around !

23. wolfgang

wolfgang
    BANNED
    from Norman, OK

I thought this was a steal at 11,000.00 with commission.

24. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

I see that this Raymond Loewy concept car lot #1295 went for $160,000. Nice resto but I think it's still one uuuugly car. Should have painted it the original color which was a blue/green metallic.

Attached Files:

25. if you guys REALLY wanted to see the hotrods and alotta other cool stuff all ya had to do was have the live feed on the computer,killer views and it was about a 45 second delay from tv

26. Labold

Labold

Yeah, it's been on the Hamb quite a bit. I dig it!

27. Labold

Labold

Surprisingly it sold for only $11,000. :eek:

28. Delmo

Delmo
    from Burbank

Ya I seen it at the very end, was hoping we'd see it go through. Any idea what it went for?

Attached Files:

29. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

I seen the roadster....never seen it go thru.......got bored watching it and switched over to Football. Camaros,originals,mustangs, snore snore snore!!!

30. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Delmo...I believe it went for $36.5K, including buyers commision.