Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barret-Jackson triumphs & tragedies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by memaerobilia, Jan 30, 2005.

1. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

When I was growing up, They sure didn't have 24 hours of live weekend tv coverage of hotrod and antique show cars. So much variety on there, there was stuff to make you drool, and other stuff that made you want to cry. Different strokes for different folks. Something for everybody-even if you could never afford to own it. Watched almost every minute of it so far and tons of cool stuff. The ONLY one that really upset me was that beautiful (half-million dollar) Chrysler Airflow. The detailing and workmanship and the paint were the stuff of dreams. But lowering that magnificent CAR to 3" ground clearance, clearly showed it was no longer a CAR! A car is something you can drive on the street or in and out of driveways & garages. What a tragedy to make it so low, it cannot be driven anywhere. May as well have left the wheels off and welded the axles to a dolly. Ruined. I know there were a Bunch of cars there that were never really meant to be driven.. but the Airflow WAS a real car before they castrated it..

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Joe, I liked that Airflow too, I think it could have the suspention adjusted to make it a driver, but at the sale price I think it is now "Artwork". Saw the movie "The Aviator" and thought about you and your Dad.

3. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

I still have the street rodder with that car in it and just like so many cars here on the hamb it goes to a drivable ride heght with the flip of a switch.(airbags) if I remember right. In my opinion he did that car a great justice by rodding even if its not my style. Man are those things ugly stock. I read that guy acctually got death threats from airflow purists for hot rodding a real two door. Just my 2 cent and with inflation that don't get ya much.
    Drew

4. I don't know if I can survive the hail of stones and arrows here -BUT I agree with memearobilia..
    I like a STANCE as well as the next person but the last few years I have seen SO MANY cars that were taken past the point of looking good into the area that leaves them looking worse ,for lowering them that much.

I know- this is where the guys swarm me with claims their air bags work perfectly and so forth....
    But that is just my point........It just DOESNT look better all aground like a beached whale.............I feel the same about cars that are severely channelled for an "appearance over function" look.
    SORRY -just couldn't hold it in any more!Ha!

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for that update, I have that same issue buried here somewhere. I do remember that the guy started with a restored Airflow. The coupes are a lot nicer to look at than the sedans. There is one that runs at Bonneville, and I saw one at Hershey in the flea market in 2004 that a guy had as a driver, that looked warmed over.

6. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

That the only thing wrong with so many people with so many opinions some take it a little to personal(spelling). I'm guilty to(see tiki rod and v8s abone). but theres nothing wrong with disagreeing as long as we(I) don't start calling others assholes(again). Anyway just thought I'd get a few more licks in. Call me crazy but somtime I like hearing other opinions especially when there not the same as mine. Got about a nickel in this thread now.
    Drew

7. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Not that anybody give a %#*&, but that makes me feel a LOT better. Thanks. The H.A.M.B.-ain't it great! Now I can watch the rest, today, without that sound of scraping metal in my head.
    Bob; You joined a month after me and have more than a thousand more posts here. You have WAY too much time away from the work bench!!!
    I completely agree with you on the guy who bought the 3 mill. car. It takes a driving force (no pun intended) to make any of these big buck musuems/collections a success. And the tears of joy/relief at the end, showed just how much it really meant to him. I hope it brings him a couple of million dollars worth of publicity for the museum and brings in many thousands more visitors just to see that car. If you have never cried tears of joy and relief at a huge personal moment, I hope you get the chance someday.

8. Muttley

Muttley

Thats when you know you are doing something right.;)

9. There is a line drawn somewhere between what is an operational, functional automobile and what is a show car. The Airflow crossed that line for me also. I respect the workmanship that went into that car but at some point it goes beyond useable and turns into "just another show car". The other half a million dollar baby in that auction whos body was built by Marcel and sons and had Boyd's name all over it impressed me at least as much. Mostly for the absolute pure craftsmanship in building that body from scratch. And it's timeless design.

10. slammed

slammed

Without the Extreme example's of Sky-High And Worm-Burner's....it would git really boring.

11. snortonnorton

snortonnorton
    from Florida

I can't believe people willing to pay their left nut for Hemi's.

Were Hemi's always this freaking valuable? 200,000 freaking dollars for a god dang car that cost 6,000 brand new?

When exactly did people all of a sudden want hemi's like this?

12. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

I've never made it a secret, I don't like the ground scraping low thing. I don't like extreeme chops or channels either. A car is supposed to be functional.

13. kustom01

kustom01

my 2 cents about the barrett jackson is i feel cars should be driven not garaged.. what fun is it to have em.. if you dont play with em.. kinda like our "tools" hahah =D

14. You guys don't have a climate controlled garage/displaymuseum/gallery area to store your extremely restored and constucted gems? Does this mean you guys don't have a staff of slightly overpaid car detailers/attendents/valets/footmen and junior staff to service and polish them?

Drive? And initiate irreversable depreciation? These are investments. That's why there are no fluids in mine. Fluids leak and fluids attract dirt. Bad fluids.

15. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

I saw that Airflow a couple of yrs ago over in Spokane at the Goodguys show. The guy that built it was real nice answered all my questions, and the car was right outside with the rest, not in side like it could have been. That is an awsome car and the workmanship is great, it looked very comfortable to drive and sounded great.

16. Von Scott

Von Scott
    from fresno,ca

When all the people who were young when these cars were new, now have the bucks to step up. By the way there was a Hemi cuda that went for 300,000 jeez! I'm sad though because I now have to go to Colorado to go see my dream car. Wish I had 3 mil to drop on a car. I heard that guy had said that there was no limit on what he would spend to get that Olds F-88. Can you imagine if that underbidder had kept bidding?! I think I'll go find me a 53 vette and build a clone of that Olds,lol!

17. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Thats what I respect about Jay Leno, yes hes a big buck restorer "Fat Cat" and has all those things you speak of, but will not give a second though to take any one of his million dollar rides out on the road for a blast. Even his deusenburgs get driven, hes says thats what they're made for what good are they if you don't enjoy them. One of my heros for sure. Drew

18. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

UHHH, that one at Hershey, the warmed over one.... I built it. That car sees a lot of miles, most of them pulling a 37 Airstream trailer. It even gets driven in the snow.

19. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

Iam out here in L.A. and I have seen that car at a car-night out here, the owner drove it to the show.
    he and another "show car " ( a rag top cad ) owner were driving around the US in thier cars.
    this Airflow had a over night bag in the back, the trunk was open and had a ice chest , a suit case and folding cars in it.
    also there were bugs in the grill , these guys were driving thier cars.

I talked to the owner and they were on thier way east from Pasadena.

its a show car, its low, but he drives it !

Iam not into the whole high tech , billet style but I admire the owner driving it after all that $ spent on it.

20. Any pics Frank?

Investment? pffffffffffffffffffffffffffttttttttttt! The most valuable thing to me today was setting the timing on my touring with my dad and sewing the tonneau cover with my mom! Thats something most folks paying 100K+ for a car will never feel.

21. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I agree that way too many cars are just too friggin low. Even if they are bagged and can be raised up for driving, most of them border on the ridiculous looking for my taste. Cars are meant to be driven and anything you do to one that compromises that just doesn't set well with me unless there is some added benifit, like going faster. People who make cars unusable or nearly so, just for looks should have a different hobby, like collecting beeny babys.
    Of course I realize that some of you may live where you can drive a lower car but a good many of the rods that I see on here I couldn't even drive to the 7-11 for a pack of smokes without dragging bottom.