Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Barn or in this case, garage finds still exist!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vintage Amercian Iron, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Happy Friday...:D

2. Vintage Amercian Iron

Vintage Amercian Iron

No chance of him letting you get ahold one of those?

:) You too, and an even better weekend!!

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will...You have got some hurdles with that frame but some clever repurposing and these pieces will be like new...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  4. Vintage Amercian Iron

Vintage Amercian Iron

I may be crazy, but that is what makes it fun!!! :rolleyes:

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@sloppy jalopies is a master at looking at any vehicle and finding a Model A part in it so yes it's all in how you look at things...:D

I am a pack rat for saving stuff to repurpose and it makes my day anytime it happens...

6. old.hot.rodder

old.hot.rodder

I am Freakin Jealous! Nice Find

7. Vintage Amercian Iron

Vintage Amercian Iron

Got her back home from where she has been stored since last round of rust repair while I worked on the other frame. Small shop so have to rotate projects when weather is anything but perfect.

Now it is time to start pulling sheet metal for more basic rust repair and stripping down the rest for future repaint.

Thumbnail50.jpg

Okie Pete, Stogy, chevy57dude and 5 others like this.
  8. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

WOW!!!!

9. Vintage Amercian Iron

Vintage Amercian Iron

10. rtp

rtp

Good project! But I need to know how you get the grass to grow in the back of that shed.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Vintage Amercian Iron

Vintage Amercian Iron

Until just a few months ago three of the 4 sides were not closed off, so plenty of light and rain got in to keep it alive. The back wall with the clear at the top was put in just last fall, so the grass is finally starting to die out.

Will be finishing closing off that partial 3rd wall soon, then figuring out a front wall/door combo to complete closing it in. Hopefully it will all die out before time to put in the floor.

12. rtp

rtp

I was just poking a little fun at you . Nice looking 57. I hope fixing it gets easier buy the day.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. rslyceum

rslyceum

14. Yeah, when they got crusty on the bottoms, many got the quickie Bondo treatment. Be ready for newspaper or t shirt backing if there's any larger holes! Good to see you're making progress.

15. Glen Trotter

Glen Trotter

16. Glen Trotter

Glen Trotter

i just pulled a 35 ford pickup out from a 50 year nap i can relate to the fun your having keep us posted

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Great find, better shape than the 'norm', and I'm talking Calif!
    I'd call this '57 amazing. Like how you're being reserved here, haste makes waste.
    Envious, and I'm a Ford guy! Cheers!

18. Vintage Amercian Iron

Vintage Amercian Iron

Thanks, this one has a deep, personal connection so want to do right by it and from where I got it if that makes any sense.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  19. Vintage Amercian Iron

Vintage Amercian Iron

Thought I would check in and see what has been happening. Did any one make it to the Spokane Speed & Custom show in Spokane, WA., over Father's Day weekend? I was able to be there Fri & Sat, lots of really nice cars and trucks, lots of inspiration.

Also had the chance to meet and talk with Ian Roussel both days. What an incredibly nice, down to earth guy!! Met his wife Jamie as well, great gal and managed to talk me into $100.00 worth of swag, now I see why he brought her!! :) 201990127_4371932322825136_8761254536826376956_n.jpg

First day there when I got the picture with him, I was wearing my Full Custom Garage shirt. Turned out he was late getting there from the airport. And since I had one of his show's shirts on, of course that must mean I know him, so I had several people approach me asking when he was going to arrive.

The next day when I went back to get my picture signed, I asked him if he had seen anyone else wearing that that shirt, and he said I had been the only one. When I told him what happened the day before, I also said I almost regretted wearing it and he laughed and said people do that his buddy Victor as well.

Any way, it was a great show and he and Jamie were awesome people to meet. Felt really good to be able to attend a show after all that has gone on, looking forward to many more.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    Okie Pete, catdad49, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  20. Vintage Amercian Iron

Vintage Amercian Iron

Spent a little time on the 57, pulled the seats, carpet and underlayment out to check the pans for rust. Lots of spots of medium to heavy, scaly rust, but only found 3 small holes. The biggest about the size of a dime. Probably more once I do the screwdriver test, but for the first round, it isn't too bad. IMG_1916.JPG IMG_1917.JPG IMG_1918.JPG IMG_1920.JPG IMG_1921.JPG IMG_1922.JPG IMG_1925.JPG IMG_1926.JPG

21. Vintage Amercian Iron

Vintage Amercian Iron

Few more after some scraping and running the leaf blower & shop vac on the driver side, the underlayment just didn't want to let go, like the rest of the floor did.

IMG_1927.JPG IMG_1928.JPG

That "patchwork" around the floor shifter is, creative...

;)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  22. Vintage Amercian Iron

Vintage Amercian Iron

The corners around tops of rockers where they join the pillars look pretty good so far. IMG_1912.JPG IMG_1913.JPG IMG_1914.JPG IMG_1915.JPG

23. Vintage Amercian Iron

Vintage Amercian Iron

Been busy with other projects, but do have a little update. The rear driver floor pan had some bigger holes open up when I wire-wheeled it and the lower rear quarter in front of the wheel had some rust through also, so both got patch panels installed in Longview again at Toyland by Gil.

thumbnail (1).jpg thumbnail (2).jpg thumbnailcropped.jpg
    thumbnail (25).jpg thumbnail.jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    Okie Pete, Squablow, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  24. Spooky

Spooky

Man oh man-

Great find!

25. Vintage Amercian Iron

Vintage Amercian Iron

Did some Christmas shopping and now waiting on the big brown "Santa" truck...

IMG_1997.JPG

rod1, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  26. Vintage Amercian Iron

Vintage Amercian Iron

UPS just dropped 2 of the 4 packages I was expecting today. Two more scheduled for Thurs/Fri according to tracking... WOOT-WOOT!!!
    IMG_2001.JPG

catdad49, Okie Pete and loudbang like this.
  27. Vintage Amercian Iron

Vintage Amercian Iron

28. Vintage Amercian Iron

Vintage Amercian Iron

Last of my parts order arrived today. This should the last of the (so far) known major rust issues.

IMG_2006.JPG

Okie Pete, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  29. Vintage Amercian Iron

Vintage Amercian Iron

Added some original GM replacement parts to pantry! Last year I found a N.O.S. License plate light on ebay:

267689387_4945791925439170_4314638182522343513_n.jpg

Okie Pete, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  30. Vintage Amercian Iron

Vintage Amercian Iron

And then last week on ebay I found a pair of N.O.S. rear fender ends that arrived today...MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Not really necessary to have at the moment, but when original GM stuff shows up, I try and grab it if it is fairly reasonable so I have the "real thing" when its time comes.

IMG_2289.JPG IMG_2292.JPG