Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barn Job #18, HA/GR, '12 build thread

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Old6rodder, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Old28

Old28

Dick, In answer to your question to me over on Skips thread, NO I AM NOT SURE BEING SPOTTED 33 CAR LENGTHS IS ENOUGH.:eek:

I think my best chance is that he sits there and smokes those L-78 bias tires of all tread and then it hooks up when they turn to 6" slicks.:rolleyes:

It's all good and we will have fun.:)

2. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Well, all this year's mods are complete on the car now, two months worth of work done. She's back on the trailer, ready to head up to Bakersfield tomorrow for Butch's ANRA Season Opener.

She has the new cage hoop location, the new cross members & gearbox mounts, the new 8" Ford rear end with 4.62s, the new aft location of the radiator, the re-located master cylinder, the return to a belt driven factory water pump, the re-engineered water flow, the complete re-wiring, and fresh seat belts.

I'll take some pictures, and update the album a bit today, then update it further next week when I'm back.

And later this spring (hopefully at Eagle Field :cool:) I'll be popping the surprise I've been threatening on y'all. Finally!
    No, no hints or any other clues. I'm keeping this one close. :p

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  3. ThingyM

ThingyM

Well, I got my chassis gutted..Measurements for the Ford motor and C4 taken.. Looks like it will fit fine. BTW.. Going to build new seat also.....

4. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Sounds good, Dick. You going to start a fresh build thread? Yes? :cool:

OK, Kiddies, here're some teaser pics ........... as threatened.

First, the car (try to ignore the monkey cage :mad:).

[​IMG]

Next, the 8" Ford rear .....

[​IMG]

..... and through the rails.

[​IMG]

And last, a couple from the competitor's point of view (just NOT on the trailer I hope :D).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. bobw

bobw

All the changes look real good. Your car still looks very much the right time period. I like the hidden radiator. Is the second tank for water?

I'm waiting impatiently for your surprise announcement. Shall we have a contest to guess what it might be?

6. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Thanks, I try, but it's not easy to keep the look right, what with the NfHRA's fingerprints all over'er.
    The 6 gal tank's the battery box, per NfHRA requirements (the 3 gal's the gas).

I'll break the "surprise" in the form of a picture posting. I've been planning it for a few years now, and I'm nearly wetting my panties now that it's finally happening. :D

7. Old28

Old28

Dick, All looks good, you have made some major changes. See you at the track on Friday.

8. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Oh yeah, you betcha. :D
    I'll see if I can nail down four adjacent pits for us.

9. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

How quick was it with the new gears?

10. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Howdy,

Well, back amongst the living after sleeping away most of the day. Seems the heat and the fun ganged up on me some. :rolleyes:

We had a great time in spite of one of the weirdest running weekends I've seen. The weirdness wasn't just us either, there were definitely a few strange things going on. Some folks' cars were running oddly, and a couple unusual things even happened with the track as well. Just plain an odd weekend. But a blast as always at ANRA.

One of the cool oddities was that most of the fast cars in our Open Wheel class started losing to most of our slower ones right up front.

A personal learning item took me out in the second round on Sunday.
    It seems I've been out of the hobby long enough to've missed the addition of the LED "dial-in" display boards at the water box. Now, I'm certain they've been there the entire four years I've been running at Butch's ANRA meets, and I'm told they were instituted some 25 years ago generally. However, I've managed to fail to realize or to see them this whole time. I also do know that they display the dial-ins on the result boards at the finish line prior to each run, but I've never thought to look up to check it prior to staging.

So when I noticed the 12.30 dial-in that should've been 13.20 on my second round losing time slip, I went up to the tower and inquired. There, this old fart was patiently and gently informed of the system and the rules regarding "taking the tree", and had the referrenced equipment pointed out to him. :eek:

Oh well, thanks to one of the timing computer's balks the previous day I'd already enjoyed the present of an extra qualification run (along with several other lucky folks). Thus, I wound up getting in five runs over the weekend. That's two more than I usually get, as Butch's meets are fast growing in popularity and attendance. Could've perhaps gotten even more had I not shot myself in the foot in the second round. :(

The new rear end is great, I went from my previous average of 13.7x to a 13.3x average for this first weekend. It'll get better as I get used to the new launch capabilities, too. With a bit more weight left to take out yet, and some practice with the new gears, I think I can finally get a reliable high 12 second car with nothing but the head and cam work.
    Then perhaps I'll think about building a complete engine sometime.

We took some pictures, mostly in the pits, that I'll up date the album with this week sometime. I'll pop a few of'em on here as well.

We had five cars there on Saturday, counting Tim's Y-block rail (that had a weird oil pump problem keep him out of the first round Saturday) and Rocky's Evil Twin, but Joe and I were the only HAMBie runners.
    Joe and I decided to put in one test run, and go for HAMBie on the second qual run.

Joe had what turned out to be a weird fuel problem on the first run, so I got to kid him a bit about getting a free ride. ;)
    The second (and the HAMBie) round, I got shut down on the line for a water leak (another of those weird things that didn't make any sense 'til later), and Joe got to kid me back. :D
    The third round, Joe gave me another shot at HAMBie, and handed me my ass properly. :cool:
    But the clocks'd failed to record me (one of the strip weirdities), and they sent me around on a hot lap.
    The fourth round, I pulled up with Flathead Gary, and as we went through the traps I tossed the rear radiator hose, hosing him and the strip down with all three gallons of water in a couple seconds.
    Joe kindly brought his ATV out to rescue/tow me back to the pits.

I finally ascertained that my radiator trap'd blocked up completely, causing extreme pressure from the pump to first leak, then blow the hose. It took the engine reaching good running temp before it'd heat the rubber enough to loosen the screw clamps' hold, so it didn't show in the pits, only hot and under pressure. I cleaned the trap that evening.:rolleyes:

Sunday, for elims, I drew one of the fast boys first round but managed to put in a great run (on an .010 light) against him for a squeak-by.
    Second round, I drew Mike and his Crosley, and of course that's the round I didn't catch the dial-in screw-up. Both of us wondered why he blew by me so soon ....... 'til we saw our time slips that is.

We had a hell of a good time all in all. Good friends, good racing, good weather ........ a just plain good weekend. :cool:

11. Old28

Old28

Well Dick it sounds like it was a good weekend all in all. A few little mechanical problems, but that is normal. Did flathead Gary run 6" tires on Saturday? Wish I could of been there, but it was not to be.:confused:

I have been running N/E-1 & 2 for so long that I will have to get back into checking the board before I start stagging the car to make sure the dial in is correct. When your running on an index (7.60/8.60/9.60) no one looks at the board, but now as a bracket car I will have to get back into a system to check each time, because once you set the pre stage light you have excepted what the computer has put up.;)

Glad you had a great weekend and it sounds like Butch had a good turnout.:)

12. bobw

bobw

I enjoy drag racing stories. And you are really good at tellin' 'em. Love that .010 light.

Thanks.

13. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yeah, we missed you, I had plenty of pit space for us all, using our "courtyard" style parking. No sweat, you'll get it together. :cool:

Gary had his slicks on, he may have some street hides for Eagle Field, but I think he'll wait 'til there're a couple SDRA cars to run against to join in the class officially. Of course we still all run together at all the strips, just not the HAMBie passes.

Yep, I sure felt dumb. I asked the timing dude how I was supposed to know what they'd put in the computer. He looked at me funny and asked "Look at the board, like everyone else?". My "What board?" got him though. That's when I received the new lesson in line etiquette. :eek:
    He said I could ask Butch for a re-run because I hadn't known the system, but I declined, I don't use ignorance as an excuse (no matter how often I manage it :eek:).
    I swear I could feel him shaking his head as I left. :D
    I'll bet his eyes roll, should I ever have reason to go up in the tower again. :rolleyes:

I do wish I could've cited running an index class as an excuse though, it'd sure beat the heck out of having been out of the sport for so long. ;) :D

Thanks, Bob. Looking forward to some of yours as well. :cool:

Gentelmen, Butch's ANRA meets're getting big enough that he's having to pick & choose a bit on the entrants. It's a great thing to see, and a good thing for Butch. I predict all the local small time meets will eventually be having the same "problem". NfHRA can have its travelling TV road circuses for the lay public, give me back local drag racing please.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  14. ThingyM

ThingyM

Did you happen to notice that Dan Horan had his nitro funny car there..Sorry I had to leave,, But had to get my wife to the hospital on Sunday, For her Monday Morning surgery..She said that I get to the next ANRA event, HAHAHA..BTW She is now in good repair.......

15. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

I'm not familiar with Mr. Horan by sight, so no, I don't know.

Dick, it was good seeing and talking with you again. It's also good to see you getting around nicely again.
    I'm looking forward to your next build hitting the bricks, and particularly to seeing you in the seat. :cool:

Glad to hear the surgery went well too, please give your wife my best. I hope her recovery goes as smoothly.
    What would we do without'em?

16. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Old6rodder is having compooper problems so I'll fill in for him...

He went down to Barona Drag Strip for their "Antique Nationals" and had a ball. Sounds like the track is pretty close to the way drag racing was back in the early '60s (other than the VHT glue) and the place is nicely situated in a valley. He got plenty of runs in and could have gotten more if he wanted. All I can say is he was grinning a lot when he stopped by last night on his way home.

17. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

It was a great day!

[​IMG]
    doll3 by Dimitri Lazaris, on Flickr

18. bobw

bobw

That is a GREAT picture. A keeper, for sure. Wouldn't it be cool with a flagman instead of a tree?

Is Barona 1/8th mile?

19. injected27

injected27

Looks like a lot of fun. That is what drag racing is all about. I have enjoyed reading all about your car and the adventures with it.:)

20. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Howdy,

Looks like I'm back aboard (breath held). :rolleyes:
    My 13 year old computer chip finally had enough. RIP Sir Chip, you served well and long. My wife's (only 3 year old) computer's now "our" computer. Hell, just half this one's far more than my old one.

Yep, I finally went down to Barona (it's a very unique 1/8 mi strip). Had a blast, they run an interesting and fun show in their bi-annual "Antique Nationals". It's a strictly grudge, strictly heads up meet, no over-laying structure. They simply empty each staging lane in order over and over.
    If you want to run a particular car, just pull in behind each other in a lane and signal the stager when you come up if you're out of sequence. I just pointed my thumb to the car behind me, then showed two fingers, and he staged the car ahead as a single, then staged us. Really slick, it keeps things moving right along. They had VERY little down time.

Their strip's most unique feature's their return road. It's a one lane, bucolic, country drive dropped into the canyon bottom just beside the strip. With everything else hidden by the lay of the canyon, Oak trees, rocks, and tall grass, it's a shady cruise winding through an old park to the ticket booth (tucked in about half way) and back to the pits. If I hadn't been in the Barn Job I'd have forgotten I was at a drag strip. :cool:

A cool feature on their time slips is the name of the car, if you list it on your tech sheet (I hadn't).

I was near the new Antique Doll at a show in Long Beach a couple years ago, and after failing to run together at several meets, we at last got together here (obviously :rolleyes:). A small edge on the tree wasn't enough to overcome the faster car, and I paid out .620 to him for almost a half second loss. Man, that buggy even looks fantastic from the back. :cool:

It was also great to get in a bunch of runs. I cut one .008 and several .01+ lights, and nothing over .1+ (except one dismal run when I lit red badly and also managed to miss both gears :eek:). Guess I'm getting used to the new gears. :D

All in all, it was a great meet. Relaxed and fun, like it should be, and you can bet I'll be at the next one later this year.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  21. Old28

Old28

Dick, sounds like you had a great time, got lots of runs in. I have heard from other racers that it is a fun track with a layed back feel.;)

I've had a couple of N/E-1 & 2 guys say that it also has a very short shut down area and if you are throwing some cloth out you better let it go before you cross the line.:eek: Not a problem with our cars.

I pulled up their web site and it shows another Antique Nationals in Sept.

22. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yeah, I have to say it's a really nice place and program. I'll be back (sorry, governor, couldn't resist it).

Do y'all realize that between Barona's Antique Nat's and Rocky's Eagle Field meets we have the five best get togethers on the left coast for our class. That's now five meets a year in MidCal & SoCal that're perfectly suited to HAMBsters. :cool:

They may not be 1/4s but you know something? If the choice for now has to be between our style of racing and a full 1/4, I choose the 1/8. For me it's about the fun. :D

Yeah, the shut-off length's a bit short there, but no sweat for our speeds, I could easily stop half way to the turn-off.
    The fast cars do hang the laundry ASAP :rolleyes:, and to keep things moving along they have staff at the big end to collect & bundle the chute for'em (their ability to be so laid back is due largely to their being exceptionally well thought out and organized underneath it, IMHO). They also help if you don't quite have the needed turning radius.
    There's a gravel pad that no-one's ever made it all the way through, then a steel cable anchored cargo rope net, then some large boulders, all to be navigated before you might want to consider installing a hand throttle, joystick & pedals for canyon hopping.

Their biggest annoyance is the very tight left turn-off at the end. Once again their fore-thought's evident though, they have a hard & fast rule requiring the left lane car to stop & wait for the right lane car to take the turn first, then to pull across and follow him. The top end crew marshals this as well.

I suppose a small annoyance'd be that tow cars have to go up the narrow return road rather than following the race car down the strip to fetch the racer & car. It makes for a bit of intrigue in passing. I thought it'd be better to do the follow-down bit, given the narrowness of the whole layout, but I expect they have their reasons. Likely it hastens the program, they were running very few towed cars anyway.

Yep, September. :cool:

23. Old28

Old28

Ya Dick, I'm with you 1/8 mile is good, any place we can run is good.;)

Sounds like they have a well run program. You did not say, How many cars were there for this race? How many passes were you able to get in?

Maybe a road trip in Sept for their second Antique National, we will see. Sure would be fun to have 4-5 of our cars there.:D

24. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

I got in six runs, with no hurry. Could've run twice that if I'd wanted, hot lapping's OK there too.

Looked to be around 100 to 120 cars. Seven of the nine lanes're used for running the herd, one of the others is used for tech, and the last is used for exhibition cars, at the Antique meets.

I only took a few pictures, and I'll have to wait 'til I get set up properly on this computer to post'em. There were only a few actual antique style cars there, but the glory days contingent was incredible. Mostly slammers, the gasser styles and muscle styles were hip deep and beautiful.

It'd be nice to have a contingent of HAMBsters there sometime. You'd love how popular the Barn Job was, one of the reasons I didn't get in more runs was the time I spent explaining the car and the class. :cool:

25. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Well Kiddies, finally got all the changes made for Eagle Field next weekend. That surprise I've been threatening for a couple years now is among'em. Exactly three folks know what it is, and they've kept it on the QT. ;)

I'll shoot lotsa pitchurs at Eagle, and post'em up soon as I get back. See those of you going, there. :cool:

26. HAMBsterLady

HAMBsterLady

I possibly could be paid enough to "spill the beans"........LOL - any takers?:D

27. bobw

bobw

Curious as we are, we are not a wealthy lot. Darn it! I've wracked my small but active brain and can't for the life of me some up with any ideas.

How about a little clue???

28. Dick, the updates look great. And good luck at Eagle Field next week.

When I get the new engine done I'm thinking Barona is the place to try out. I'd like to get it sorted out for the fall event at Eagle Field.

Skip

29. Old28

Old28

Well Dick I am thinking a 27T body like the "Speed Sport Roadster". :D

Love that car.:)

Attached Files:

30. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

I am thinking about a couple of large clock springs arround the driveshaft? If you backup to the line, then we will know.

Last edited: May 13, 2012