Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Barn/garage find car question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by summersshow, Jan 26, 2016.

1. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

So I found a very rare and valuable car today. It is an original 1 owner 11k mile car that has been parked for sometime...
    Im being a sellers agent on this car and already have a potential buyer...
    Now the question... It has original EVERYTHING including tires (3 of which are still pumped up). So, should I clean the car up or leave it as it sits?...
    It is in pristine condition considering its completey original...
    It is an O/T car but the info would relate either way...

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

It's obviously worth $$$. To enhance resale it could realise more if tidied up. Then again 'As Is' may enhance value. Hopefully there is commission for you upon sale. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Sporty45 likes this.
  3. Sporty45

Sporty45

Agreed. Tough choice to make. What is the car in question?

4. I never understood the attraction some people have to dirt and dust accumulated on a car. Clean is always better to me.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'd pump up that flat tire...

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you have a potential buyer let him make that decision. If you sell the car as-is there is less liability on you. Even a wash job can screw up a deal. Make your money and walk away.

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Without more information I have to say don't touch it. Be sure you gather up everything you can find that would go with the vehicle. Ownership papers and keys of course. Are there any spare keys? Spare parts? Owner's manual, repair manual, even old books and magazines with info on the car? Hunt around the garage and house. All that stuff might as well go with the car and some things you can set aside and charge extra for, like literature.

Why I say without more info don't touch it. If it is the car that won the Indy 500 in 1914 and has been sitting untouched since, cleaning it may depreciate the value. If it is a 97 Buick sedan you might as well wash, wax and vacuum if you want to get the best price. But once you clean it you can't unclean it which is why I say the default position is leave it alone.

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

In my opinion dirt never has and never will add value to a car period. I do not understand the fascination with filthy cars. take a photo of it as found and clean the poor thing up.

9. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

1970 etype convert, v12, Ac car

10. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

1970 etype convert, v12, Ac car

11. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

12. The dirt may be covering hidden stuff best leave it as is .But once its mind I would want to clean it up. I' m not a fan of dirt. Can we see it ?

13. spags

spags

Leave it as is, let the new buyer unveil what's under all the dust.

14. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I think I'd keep it original as found, ...but make it 'presentable' ....get that other tire fixed up, and clean it so it looks respectable and shows it's character. If it's presented nicely, I would think the potential buyer would appreciate the value more clearly. ....my 2 cents worth anyways.....I would be curious to see it also, before you sell it... pics???

15. 2935ford

2935ford

Like or not like dirty cars......there is a current trend now of leaving them as found and just making them safe for the road.
    Some folks go to great lengths to retain that "pulled out of the barn look" and it appears to appeal to lots of buyers! :)

To your question.....I'd leave it.

16. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Coming from someone who will never afford a "rare car" I'm from the thought do what's best for the customer. In this case being a classic and desirable car I'd say clean it up to show the full potential to the future owner. With detailed pictures of the total process of course. Joe

17. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Its just like Christmas,,
    Do you like to watch people unwrapping presents?

Or do you like to unwrap the presents?

18. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Paint the wheels red ...

timwhit likes this.
  19. Squablow

Squablow

Selling it dirty with a flat tire and not started in many years, people are going to expect a bargain. Sure they love to find them that way, because then they're a lot cheaper.

20. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

I will post pictures after everything is said and done. I have to respect my customer and our dealings...
    Yes I am making commission, if the deal works as its going, a very handsome one...
    There is currently a deposit.

21. Ask your prospective buyer, and don't come down on the price later.......someone is going to want it, really bad.

22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

please do not post a pic. it is an off topic car

summersshow likes this.
  23. oldolds

oldolds

Look for the "how to clean a barn find" thread. Ask the buyer if you should at least wash it. Heavy dirt can scratch the paint in transit, ie. brushing against it.

24. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

How about a Link to said vehicle, would that be ok to post?
    He might not want a million PMs.

25. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

If you are sellers agent, & it's considered sold, What's the question?
    Sold, take delivery, don't wash.
    If buyer wants to see it cleaned up or "as-is barn find", I guess they will tell you before they give you the cash?

26. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

There was just that Datona Superbird barn find at the Mecum auction, sold for $90,000 I think. Grungy looking thing, I would have prefered to see it cleand up a bit more than it was presented.

27. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Well, I just got off the phone with the buyer... It will not get cleaned... He is picking it up tomorrow at 3pm...
    Coming from NY... I'm in NC...
    I told him that the quick arrangement prevents me from doing any cleaning or detail on it, he did not care...

28. Leave it as is - the crud is probably whats holding it all together.

Oldmics

29. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

sounds like the buyer knows what is best to preserve the value. but, if you have a portable air tank to try and air up flat tire will make movement much easier. if not, even a floor jack would help.

30. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Install a 305 low compression small block chevy in it to enhance it's value.